• The KillerFrogs

Week 14: Conference Championship Games Thread

froginmn

Why is bowls going away a good thing??? I assume everyone posting on this board likes college football. Why is it good to have LESS college football???
When the games that go away are the Myrtle Beach and Quick Lane bowls that perpetually feature 6-6 teams matching up (and fairly often a 5-7 team or two), I'm very OK with less.

I won't cry if I miss Liberty v Rice and Buffalo vs NMSU...

Eight

…and Fox, who together pay hundreds of millions of dollars to the schools each year.

does fox have many bowls?

thought the mouse controlled the bulk of the bowl game inventory which as another poster pointed out gives them new "cheap" content in a dead period in their broadcast year until basketball season really gets rolling

Endless Purple

The Bowls continue to operate because they make money.
But does it cost the schools money? Many get left on the hook for unsold tickets, unless the bowls stopped requiring a guaranteed sales amount.

I think the lower bowls are more detrimental to the schools. It would be better, IMO, to have a few less bowls, but give all schools the two weeks of practice to close out the season if they wish to do so.

Frog-in-law1995

does fox have many bowls?

thought the mouse controlled the bulk of the bowl game inventory which as another poster pointed out gives them new "cheap" content in a dead period in their broadcast year until basketball season really gets rolling
Looks like they only have 1, the Holiday Bowl. But my point was that while it does make money for TV networks, that’s only because they paid the schools for the broadcast rights.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
But does it cost the schools money? Many get left on the hook for unsold tickets, unless the bowls stopped requiring a guaranteed sales amount.

I think the lower bowls are more detrimental to the schools. It would be better, IMO, to have a few less bowls, but give all schools the two weeks of practice to close out the season if they wish to do so.
Remember: The Administration of many schools could care less about the long-term health of their charge. They want the money. Now. If you look at the contracts of many Administrators and A.D.s, they get a bonus for making a Bowl game. Thus, they are happy to accept a Bowl bid that winds up costing their institution $4-500K. "So what! There's a big endowment! I got a $300K check for getting us to the Weedwacker Bowl!"

Being a good steward of an institution is a thing of the past.

I think CBS still has the Sun Bowl, but that's about it. ESPN has snarfed up all the remaining content.

Yeah, it's pretty much all ESPN/ABC: Bowl Schedule 2022-3

froginmn

Who can tell me how to view my priority points online?

I might not have any of course, as it's mostly only donations that would earn me any...

Endless Purple

Remember: The Administration of many schools could care less about the long-term health of their charge. They want the money. Now. If you look at the contracts of many Administrators and A.D.s, they get a bonus for making a Bowl game. Thus, they are happy to accept a Bowl bid that winds up costing their institution $4-500K. "So what! There's a big endowment! I got a $300K check for getting us to the Weedwacker Bowl!"

Being a good steward of an institution is a thing of the past.
Disagree.

The AD and coaches in the athletic department get bonuses, but not the administration such as any regents, or presidents. I also did not say there will be change, only that there should be. TCU has had several good stewards of the institution and so have many other universities.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Disagree.

The AD and coaches in the athletic department get bonuses, but not the administration such as any regents, or presidents. I also did not say there will be change, only that there should be. TCU has had several good stewards of the institution and so have many other universities.
There was a long discussion this last weekend amongst some old Froggish friends about the "good stewardship" thing, mainly pertaining to the UT to the SEC thing. My contention was that it is not a good thing long term for UT to move from being The Big Fish in one Conference to being just one of the school in the SEC. Yes, there's more money in the short term, but the long term consequences are absolutely unknown, and the University will not be in a position to dictate matters to their own benefit if things go sideways. No one seems to care about the long-term consequences, as they will be retired and gone when the bills come due. Let somebody else clean up the mess...

Cougar/Frog

With the CFP expanding, I would like to get rid of half of the bowls. I really want only enough bowls so that 7 (or maybe 8) win teams get bowls. It is nice that KU is going bowling, but they 6 of their final 7...... If it took 8 wins to make a bowl, then they would be a bigger deal.

Of course, the bowls give extra practice time, but why not let everyone have that, or give extra practices to teams that don't make bowl games?

And admins like bowls because they get alums to donate and it advertises the school.

Back when there were only 15 bowl games, making one was a big deal.

Zubaz

There was a long discussion this last weekend amongst some old Froggish friends about the "good stewardship" thing, mainly pertaining to the UT to the SEC thing. My contention was that it is not a good thing long term for UT to move from being The Big Fish in one Conference to being just one of the school in the SEC. Yes, there's more money in the short term, but the long term consequences are absolutely unknown, and the University will not be in a position to dictate matters to their own benefit if things go sideways. No one seems to care about the long-term consequences, as they will be retired and gone when the bills come due. Let somebody else clean up the mess...
That seems....exceedingly unlikely. Is there a team that has upgraded conferences that has since regret the move long term? I am struggling to think of one.

Zubaz

Nebraska?
No way. They absolutely love being in the Big Ten.

The only one I could think of would be maybe WVU, only in the sense they'd probably prefer the Big East was still alive, or that they got an ACC invite. But even they are probably pretty happy being in the Big 12 vs the American.

I would gladly trade one more week of regular season football for getting rid of the Bowls. Bowl games generally stink, and they seem to get worse every year.

I think it'd be great if everyone added a good OOC regular season game, there aren't enough of those IMO.
The Big XII should have insisted on staying with their “True Champion” round robin, then insisting that the Big XII be allowed to get their extra data point/game by doing just that—adding a fourth non-conference game for all 10 teams, a good one. The argument/justification being that the Big XII round robin has no need for a winner take all game—the championship game simply penalizes the true regular season Champ(s).

The Big XII should not have had to sacrifice that “true champion” because all the other conferences insisted on going mega and having divisions with a needed championship game. Divisions are just that—divisive--and no longer traditional college conferences.

Last edited: