Mentioned in the other thread, but for good measure: watch out for:

This week:
- A&M eliminates LSU tonight
- USC wins tonight

Next week:
- Georgia, Michigan win & in
- USC win & in
- TCU loss & fighting for the last spot vs. Ohio State and big-brand-bias

Right now — This scenario seems pretty likely if we lose next week.

And even if TCU wins next week, will the committee still seed 13-0 TCU 4th behind 12-1 USC?
No chance we are behind 12-1 USC if we win.

LisaLT

I still think both 11-1 Ohio State and Clemson 11-2 (assuming Clemson beats UNC) both make it in over 12-1 TCU.

Ohio State would have the better loss (#2 Michigan) and a better OOC schedule (Notre Dame) than TCU

Clemson would have conference champion status and a better OOC schedule (Notre Dame and South Carolina) than TCU.

We need Clemson and USC to lose their conference championship games if we want to make the playoffs at 12-1. If they both lose we are obviously in. If one of them wins we are out at 12-1.
Wrong

Planks

I was probably wrong about Clemson as upon second glance it looks like the committee didn’t like them very much, and that was before Clemson and UNC lost today.

But I’m right about Ohio State. We have to win our Conference Championship game or they get in ahead of us. USC is in if they win their CCG.

Planks

I hope the team doesn’t believe we’re already in the playoffs. A loss next Saturday and we get dropped like we’re hot.
Agreed I’m a little worried about that. We’ll be at #3, and the team will see we will have more wins than one other GA, MI, USC no matter what.

The team may not understand Ohio State still gets in over us even with less wins overall.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I still think both 11-1 Ohio State and Clemson 11-2 (assuming Clemson beats UNC) both make it in over 12-1 TCU.

Ohio State would have the better loss (#2 Michigan) and a better OOC schedule (Notre Dame) than TCU

Clemson would have conference champion status and a better OOC schedule (Notre Dame and South Carolina) than TCU.

We need Clemson and USC to lose their conference championship games if we want to make the playoffs at 12-1. If they both lose we are obviously in. If one of them wins we are out at 12-1.
Yep. Precedent says we drop to #6 after beating iowa state by 52. Only beat them by 48 this time. Not looking good.

Planks

Ask people who were around in 2014.

Yeah we’ve literally seen this story before.

Our argument is better this time, as this time we would be the ones with 12 wins and they would be the ones with only 11 wins, , but we all know how it would end up anyway. The committee is picking 1 loss Ohio State over 1 loss TCU

Planks

So you think the 12-1 team gets in over the 11-1 team too?

This isn’t a logic thing. The arguments will change to fit whatever is needed.

In 2014 TCU had the better loss, but Ohio State had the extra data point so the extra data point is why they got in.

In 2022 TCU has the extra data point but Ohio State has the better loss so that’s why they would get in.

Don’t overthink this.