• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

Pharm Frog

classic swing where he was perfectly balanced and really didn't swing as hard as you see some players swing

can't recall very many players reaching that part of the stadium before
Like I mentioned earlier...I only saw two plate appearances until the T9 (I think I mistakenly typed B9).... I had seen on the ESPN gamecast that the Astros had pushed two runners on with Alvarez coming up so I switched over. And that was a moon shot. It reminded me immediately of a ball I saw Mike Schmidt hit in the old Astrodome to dead centerfield that hit the suspended speaker and caromed back to the infield. I think the ground rules made it a double but that and Alvarez's were among the most titanic blasts I've ever seen to CF.

That said....I did give up one to Jeremy Burnitz in American Legion ball back in 1986 that is supposed to land early next decade....but that one was over RF.

Early on Saturday, before Game 6, Cintrón scoured video from June, when Álvarez hit .418 with a 1.346 OPS, and he realized that the player’s hands had dropped, making it harder for him to get to the fastball. He called in Díaz, whose eye he trusts on such things and who sometimes helps him communicate with other players.

“You know what?” Díaz said. “You’re right.”

Cintrón texted Alvarez: I found something. Come to the cage.

Initially, Alvarez was unsure. He believed the problem still resided in his lower half.

“Yordan, do you trust me?” Cintrón asked.

“Yes,” Alvarez said.

“Then give me five swings in the cage and see how you feel. If you don’t like it, then you change it.”

It didn’t take five swings. Alvarez felt the change immediately. Díaz and Cintrón saw it. They all knew what it meant: “Game over,” said Cintrón later, dripping with an unholy brew of Bud Heavy, Michelob Ultra and Korbel. “I was so pumped,” he said. “I told the front-office guys, the player of the game is going to be Yordan Alvarez.”

‘It’s a good thing the Astros won the World Series in Game 6, because they would have been very hobbled if the series had made it to Game 7. Third baseman Alex Bregman told Sports Illustrated early Sunday morning that he believed he had broken his right index finger sliding into second base in the eighth inning, and that second baseman Jose Altuve had strained a hamstring going first to third in the sixth.’

48FC18BD-CC91-4C72-9D9D-00C8F9C9A25E.jpeg
Jose Altuve .300/.387/.533 slash line this season, with 28 homers, 18 steals/19 attempts, 103 runs.
For his career:
1,935 hits
986 runs
192 homers
279 steals
.307 lifetime average
Three batting titles
Led the AL in hits four times
Five Silver Sluggers
Picked for eight AS teams

A review of some Astros’ 2022 Crazy Stats—

1. The ‘Stros tied an MLB record with five homers in one inning (413, 411, 405, 381, 360 feet). This at Fenway; three of them over the green monster. Five has happened eight times in MLB history, so it is statistically surprising that no team has ever hit six or more.

2. First team to pitch two “immaculate innings” in one game; and to the same three batters! This seems unbelievable, and will likely never happen again. Only 107 immaculate innings in MLB history; the Astros now have nine of them.

3. First team to no-hit (a combined no-hitter) the Yankees in new Yankee Stadium, and the only team since 1958. Astros also no-hit the Yankees in 2003 at Old Yankee Stadium, with 6 pitchers.

4. Struck out 20 batters in a 9 inning game versus the Angels, tying an MLB record.

5. Framber Valdez sets a single season MLB record of 25 quality starts in a row.

6. A World Series combined no-hitter; the first WS no-hitter since Don Larsen’s 1956 perfect game. And only the 3rd no-hitter in postseason history. Like their earlier no-hitter this year, Cristian Javier was the starting pitcher. I think the Astros are the first team to ever have two combined no-hitters in a single season.

7. Jeremy Pena (Carlos Correa’s replacement), is the first rookie SS in history to win the Gold Glove. And then he tops it off by being the ALCS and World Series MVP. I might have preferred Framber Valdez getting the WS MVP—he won crucial Game 2, after the Astros lost Game 1 in 10 innings, and then closed out the Series in Game 6. He allowed only 2 runs in 12.1 innings.

8. Verlander will win his 3rd Cy Young after being out 2 seasons with Tommy John. He also won the Cy Young in 2019 with the Astros. And he finally won his first WS game (Game 5), though it was a struggle.

9. “Trust in Dust” finally won his first World Series as a manager. I think he won as a player in 1981.

Thankful that they won the Series, or all this would feel a bit hollow.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Any chance Verlander goes into the Hall of Fame as an Astro instead of a Tiger? I realize it seems ridiculous at first, but when you think about it, he’s been here 5.5 years, has two World Series and two Cy Youngs… the idea has some merit.

Eight

Any chance Verlander goes into the Hall of Fame as an Astro instead of a Tiger? I realize it seems ridiculous at first, but when you think about it, he’s been here 5.5 years, has two World Series and two Cy Youngs… the idea has some merit.

only way to be sure, bring him back and let him win another one and then it is a lock

Creeperfrog

I don't have any knowledge on this, but is it possible to split? As a Houstonian I am biased, but I think his time here has warranted to the astros

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
sure patrick, cruz, and jackson-lee all took notice while they boarded their parade vehicles outside minute maid
If I attended a game, I liked to park by Lucky's Pub. The stroll under the freeway to the ballyard was always fragrant...

Nolan Ryan was one of the few who could choose which team. Today, he must, and tomorrow he will too, wish he had chosen the Houston Astros.

Last edited: