• The KillerFrogs

I feel good!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Great weekend! Visited with old Froggish friends, laughed a lot, ate some great BBQ. Took in a Frog win from the lovely Amon G. Carter Stadium with Mrs. Brewingfrog. Arrived back at Rancho Brewingfrog this afternoon after stopping for more delicious BBQ in Lockhart.

Then, I read a little of SurlyHorns many threads of despair and agony... and I felt even better!

Frog-in-law1995

Great weekend! Visited with old Froggish friends, laughed a lot, ate some great BBQ. Took in a Frog win from the lovely Amon G. Carter Stadium with Mrs. Brewingfrog. Arrived back at Rancho Brewingfrog this afternoon after stopping for more delicious BBQ in Lockhart.

Then, I read a little of SurlyHorns many threads of despair and agony... and I felt even better!
Just a friendly tip…while Lockhart/Luling is still the Texas Mecca, make the drive to downtown Seguin sometime. Burnt Bean Co. You’ll thank me.

JugbandFrog

Just a friendly tip…while Lockhart/Luling is still the Texas Mecca, make the drive to downtown Seguin sometime. Burnt Bean Co. You’ll thank me.
I have been three times. Their brisket is meh.

What they do well are the ribs. Not better than Angelo’s, but on par with my faves.

Their brisket huevos rancheros is excellent.

But definitely not worth the wait. Bring water and sunblock.

BrewingFrog

Lockhart is a near-perfect stop on our journey north, and south. With some careful timing we can hit just about any of the joints we wish at 11am and beat the lines and craziness. Since we have checked off most of the Recognized As Great places, we can start branching out into the rumored locations of fabulousness, and cloistered artists known only to a few.

I was actually looking forward to hitting a German place in Walburg, cunningly named Walburg German Restaurant. Every now and then, I need my soul food...

Frog-in-law1995

I have been three times. Their brisket is meh.

What they do well are the ribs. Not better than Angelo’s, but on par with my faves.

Their brisket huevos rancheros is excellent.

But definitely not worth the wait. Bring water and sunblock.
Your tastebuds are meh! My wife said the same thing the first time we went and I swear she was off her rocker.

Seriously, though, Ernie might be the best brisket cook in Texas (of those who left competition to open a restaurant). Funny thing is, I thought the ribs were good but nothing to write home about. But then, I don’t judge Texas bbq on ribs. Brisket and sausage, really. I can’t speak to the wait as I’ve never had to wait there (humble brag), but I’ve been several times and have yet to not be thoroughly impressed with the food. Totally agree that his breakfast items are amazing. Desserts are special too.

Frog-in-law1995

Lockhart is a near-perfect stop on our journey north, and south. With some careful timing we can hit just about any of the joints we wish at 11am and beat the lines and craziness. Since we have checked off most of the Recognized As Great places, we can start branching out into the rumored locations of fabulousness, and cloistered artists known only to a few.

I was actually looking forward to hitting a German place in Walburg, cunningly named Walburg German Restaurant. Every now and then, I need my soul food...
I still make a point to drop by the Big 3 every now and then when I’m down that way, but I think they might be resting on their laurels just a bit. There’s so much good bbq, especially in that area, but really all over Texas now.

BrewingFrog

I still make a point to drop by the Big 3 every now and then when I’m down that way, but I think they might be resting on their laurels just a bit. There’s so much good bbq, especially in that area, but really all over Texas now.
Mrs. Brewingfrog loves her some Beef Rib. That is her go-to item if she can get her hands on it (Well, if they don't have Prime Rib like Smitty's did on Friday). So far, for her, the Bronto Rib at Original Black's was far and away the best. The Pit Boss saw her Froggish gear and cut her the endcap rib, and it was just magnificent. Crusty bark on the outside, but tender and moist inside with monstrous flavor. She ate it slowly by just picking bites of meat off the titanic bone. When I could snake my hand in a get a bite (and a hand-slap in the process), it was wonderful.
IMG_20221002_115849513_HDR.jpg

Punter1

Lockhart is a near-perfect stop on our journey north, and south. With some careful timing we can hit just about any of the joints we wish at 11am and beat the lines and craziness. Since we have checked off most of the Recognized As Great places, we can start branching out into the rumored locations of fabulousness, and cloistlburgered artists known only to a few.

Love that place in Walburg....but to do it right you gotta go on Fri or Sat nite when the German band is playing. Place is so cool and nostalgic...and food is great too.

And living 20 mins from Lockahrt and being a BBQ snob....I can say there isn't one place in Lockhart that is in the Top 15 best BBQ joints in thr Austin area. Yea they all have great atmosphere....but the food is just average.

Terry Black's did just open a new place in Lockhart I haven't tried yet but I'm sure it's gonna be the best place in town...

BrewingFrog

Love that place in Walburg....but to do it right you gotta go on Fri or Sat nite when the German band is playing. Place is so cool and nostalgic...and food is great too.

And living 20 mins from Lockahrt and being a BBQ snob....I can say there isn't one place in Lockhart that is in the Top 15 best BBQ joints in thr Austin area. Yea they all have great atmosphere....but the food is just average.

Terry Black's did just open a new place in Lockhart I haven't tried yet but I'm sure it's gonna be the best place in town...
We dined there yesterday afternoon. Brisket was delicious, and the cutter generously dropped a few burnt ends on our paper. The sides were very good! (Mmmm... Cobbler...)

As you say, Mrs. Brewingfrog opined as we munched that some of the Established places are resting on their laurels and have become touristy. It rankled her to have to pay $.75 for a jalapeno at Kruetz Market. For my part, I felt the original Black's was about as authentic and tasty as one could ask for. Smitty's was good, but teetering towards touristy, Kruetz was touristy.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Season 5 Sobriety GIF by The Simpsons