• The KillerFrogs

Question on UT's Patterson

82 Frog Fever

Tap the brakes on that last bit, wait and see. . . That's what we all thought when they were brought into the ol' SWC back in the 70s, and they proceeded to kick ass and take names. Seems like 3 shared or outright conference titles in their first 4 years, or something absurd like that. I could be a little bit mistaken there, but they were the farthest thing from the expected pushover.
Please remember the full story.
By the late ‘80s Houston was caught red handed with 250+ recruiting violations, which landed them on 3 years probation & nearly got them a death penalty. Cheating is the reason they were able to successfully compete for over a decade.

Holgorsen‘s emotional stability is beginning to look an awful lot like GP in ‘20 & ‘21.
I wouldn’t want that guy anywhere close to TCU. He is a disaster in waiting.

froginaustin

By the late ‘80s Houston was caught red handed with 250+ recruiting violations, which landed them on 3 years probation & nearly got them a death penalty. Cheating is the reason they were able to successfully compete for a decade.

Holgorsen‘s emotional stability is beginning to look an awful lot like GP in ‘20 & ‘21.

Your "full story", even if the complete unvarnished truth, does not change the fact that UH was quite successful in the Southwest Conference. The alleged "reason" they were successful doesn't change the result.

If circumstances work out for them, UH might be a power in the newest versions of the Big XII. Or not. Lots of variables could change the script.

You see a resemblance to CGP in Holgorsen's emotional stability? That you can see such a thing is astounding.

HornyWartyToad

By the late ‘80s Houston was caught red handed with 250+ recruiting violations, which landed them on 3 years probation & nearly got them a death penalty. Cheating is the reason they were able to successfully compete for over a decade.

So, 15 years after they came in and kicked ass, they got caught doing what everybody else in the SWC was doing. . . And that matters, why?

And, OBTW, those early years of SWC dominating play were under HC Bill Yoeman, who had nothing to do with the cheating scandals of the mid-late 80s.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Why?

IMO has guy has been a HIGHLY overrated coach his entire career. I know it would just be as an analyst, but still, not sure what the point of bringing him in for that role would be.

It's almost as if his stature is elevated around here because one time he gave our QB a cool low five.
I think he has something to offer as an offensive analyst.

I know you don’t like him as a head coach but that is not what I’m proposing.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Highly doubtful he gets fired.
If UH let Holgorsen go after this season, they’d owe him $19m. Not to mention he was hand picked as coach by the AD & Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta.
Starting next year UH will be a perennial B12 bottom feeder.
Well, if you think they will be perennial bottom feeders, his dismissal is really only a matter of time, right? If not 2023 then soon

Wexahu

I think he has something to offer as an offensive analyst.

I know you don’t like him as a head coach but that is not what I’m proposing.
I'm just having a hard time understanding what he would bring to the table that the coaches on hand aren't already bringing.

We probably needed an offensive analyst the past 5 years. Not so much anymore IMO, we have a head coach who has proven that at the very least has kind of shown he knows what needs to be done on that side of the ball.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I'm just having a hard time understanding what he would bring to the table that the coaches on hand aren't already bringing.

We probably needed an offensive analyst the past 5 years. Not so much anymore IMO, we have a head coach who has proven that at the very least has kind of shown he knows what needs to be done on that side of the ball.
Analysts are going to be on board most every year on both sides of the ball. Do you truly think the best coaches are the ones who think they have it all figured out and need no perspective? We’ve been there and done that.

You can have the last word in this bc I’m not trying to convince you and it’s really not even a big deal. I think he brings something to a staff; you don’t.

82 Frog Fever

Your "full story", even if the complete unvarnished truth, does not change the fact that UH was quite successful in the Southwest Conference. The alleged "reason" they were successful doesn't change the result.

If circumstances work out for them, UH might be a power in the newest versions of the Big XII. Or not. Lots of variables could change the script.

You see a resemblance to CGP in Holgorsen's emotional stability? That you can see such a thing is astounding.
That’s like saying even though a career bank robber finally got caught, it doesn’t change the fact that he was successful at stealing $.
UH is trash now, and always has been.

82 Frog Fever

So, 15 years after they came in and kicked ass, they got caught doing what everybody else in the SWC was doing. . . And that matters, why?

And, OBTW, those early years of SWC dominating play were under HC Bill Yoeman, who had nothing to do with the cheating scandals of the mid-late 80s.
YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! Bill Yoeman was one of the worst all-time cheaters!
Houston Chronicle:
The N.C.A.A. also advised the university to prohibit Bill Yeoman, the former head football coach, from engaging in duties associated with the school's athletic program for at least a year.
The violations occurred between 1978 and 1984 during the tenure of Yeoman, who resigned under fire in 1986. It was the third time the school had received sanctions as a result of Yeoman's 25-year coaching regime. The Cougars received three years' probation in 1966 and a one-year sanction in 1977 for recruiting violations and improper payments.

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

Werent we (along with the entire conference) cheating back then too? But obviously not very effectively.
Yes, there was lots of cheating, but SMU & Houston were on a whole different level. Houston was cheating for decades.

Also remember, TCU (Wacker) voluntarily turned themselves in, and they were not under investigation at the time.
No school had ever turned themselves in.

Eight

Tap the brakes on that last bit, wait and see. . . That's what we all thought when they were brought into the ol' SWC back in the 70s, and they proceeded to kick ass and take names. Seems like 3 shared or outright conference titles in their first 4 years, or something absurd like that. I could be a little bit mistaken there, but they were the farthest thing from the expected pushover.

first, many forget that the cougs red-shirted damn near every starter they could the year before joining the swc so they brought in a very talented and very mature team

second, houston recruited areas that most of the swc avoided such as east texas and the inner cities. the interesting thing is that ou recruited in those areas as well and had a similar run of success

houston can be competitive, but they are facing some issues, a big one is dana's offense, and remember that uh took some flack in how dana was hired.

Eight

Werent we (along with the entire conference) cheating back then too? But obviously not very effectively.

houston came in i believe 76 which was the end of dkr st texas and believe broyles st ark , both were down that year.

tech actually tied with uh for conference, believe dave smith was at smu and he did get caught cheating, russ meyer followed him and that is when cheating really ramped up in dallas, believe believe ballard was at atm but their cheating didn't take off until sherrill, dry is when it stepped up at tcu, taff was at baylor, and no one cared about rice

Eight

15 years? we do math differently and the cheating took place while yeoman was coach.

specifically, the events surrounding odessa high quarterback derrick sheppard

Eight

Analysts are going to be on board most every year on both sides of the ball. Do you truly think the best coaches are the ones who think they have it all figured out and need no perspective? We’ve been there and done that.

You can have the last word in this bc I’m not trying to convince you and it’s really not even a big deal. I think he brings something to a staff; you don’t.

one of the biggest issues surrounding uh right now is the play of their offense and when you listen to dana talk about the challenges in his program it sounds a great deal like gary the last few seasons

froginaustin

first, many forget that the cougs red-shirted damn near every starter they could the year before joining the swc so they brought in a very talented and very mature team

second, houston recruited areas that most of the swc avoided such as east texas and the inner cities. the interesting thing is that ou recruited in those areas as well and had a similar run of success

houston can be competitive, but they are facing some issues, a big one is dana's offense, and remember that uh took some flack in how dana was hired.

In the late '60s and early '70s, UH was accused of signing academically unqualified athletes, and not just in football. What was happening was that UH was much more accepting of black athletes, particularly from the "freedom of choice" high schools in East Texas that happened to be all black, and the traditionally black high schools in the Houston area (and I suppose other big cities in Texas).

When Houston came into the Southwest Conference, everyone in the conference (probably excluding Rice) ran to the NCAA minimum academic standards for recruit eligibility. AND, federal pressure (and in some situations litigation) shut down "freedom of choice" public schools all over East Texas-- Tyler, Lufkin, Marshall, etc.-- resulting in more public high schools in those towns that were actually bi-racial.

It seems to me that over the next few years (late '70s and forward, maybe) everyone in the SWC started doing better signing black athletes, and UH's advantage, real or perceived, to the extent it was based on putting black athletes on their teams dwindled. Particularly after Yeoman and basketball coach Guy V. Lewis retired.

My apologies for hijacking this thread. I'll post no more of this ^^^ sort of stuff here.

Virginia Frog

Highly doubtful he gets fired.
If UH let Holgorsen go after this season, they’d owe him $19m. Not to mention he was hand picked as coach by the AD & Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta.
Starting next year UH will be a perennial B12 bottom feeder.
KU south! TCU will show Saturday that KU football is NOT “back.”

Frogs1983

houston came in i believe 76 which was the end of dkr st texas and believe broyles st ark , both were down that year.

tech actually tied with uh for conference, believe dave smith was at smu and he did get caught cheating, russ meyer followed him and that is when cheating really ramped up in dallas, believe believe ballard was at atm but their cheating didn't take off until sherrill, dry is when it stepped up at tcu, taff was at baylor, and no one cared about rice
"Russ Meyer", the 70's sexploitation film Director was also the coach at SMEW?o_O

82 Frog Fever

KU south! TCU will show Saturday that KU football is NOT “back.”
Probably.
I bet a decent amount on most TCU games, and my nephew is a section stat manger with Elias Sports, so I read through a lot of their research and opinions on most B12 teams.
They rate TCU as one of the 10 fastest teams in the FBS, even faster than some NFL teams. KU is middle of pack.

4th. down

Max Duggan quotes from an article posted this morning:

“With Coach Riley, Coach Dykes, they do a great job of putting us in great plays, schematically putting us in successful spots,” Duggan said after the Horned Frogs embarrassed Oklahoma 55-24 last Saturday. “I think guys just came out confident in what we’re doing, kind of turn the page on all the past.”

Maybe Duggan is talking about the whole offense. Maybe he’s talking about himself. Judge for yourself.

“I think guys are just tired of losing, of being talked down on the last three years,” Duggan said. “We deserved it. We haven’t played very well the last three years, since I’ve been here. I think guys are just tired of it.”
Telling it like it is. Think about Max's previous coaches here........right. Now he has Riley and Dykes and the CoOcs have somewhat meshed into a fluid and performing unit, the offensive line and the play calling.

That was some fine line blocking, especially on the disguised counter where the right tackle and guard pulled along with Miller as a lead blocker for Max down that left sideline when he did the Andy slide. Miller, Nichols, and Harris all 3 made their blocks.......it was just precision and they did this more than once. Anderson, Kenny, and Kill could never pull that off......if they could they would have.