• The KillerFrogs

And … they’re done! Ponies no more.

An-Cap Frog

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

An-Cap Frog

Probable

Possible

Eight

This is the only approach. You have to send the message to players and recruits that they are all in or all out. Transfer after the season if you want, but announce in season and no weight room, no training table, no tutoring, etc.

NIL contracts will catch up to this, too. It'd be a bad look to see boosters suing players for non-compliance, but they'll learn to limit up-front money and spread the distribution over time.

I just don't get it from the players' perspective. Desperate lower-level schools may pick up guys like this from the portal, but telling D1 coaches that you aren't willing to do the work without assurance of playing time seems like a good way to reduce your opportunities. Both lazy and short-sighted.

the rules allow a player to participate in four games still preserve their red-shirt year

byproduct of the rule and with a new staff on campus I suspect these players have an idea of how the remainder of the season is going to play out for them

the senior most likely doesn't want to sit his final year and the young guys want a chance to play and so what if it is at a smaller school

not as if schools don't recruit over kids and "encourage " them to find another school in the offseason

Eight

This could literally happen to any team and will be the death knell of college football if left unchecked. Even pros have a commitment they need to live by to get their money (called a contract) and NIL should have some form or fashion of this or this will continue to happen.

the ncaa created this by allowing players to play up to 4 games and still redshirt combined with more open transfer rules

schools recruit over kids and the scholarships are not guaranteed for a full 5 years so all I see is players taking the initiative

JogginFrog

the ncaa created this by allowing players to play up to 4 games and still redshirt combined with more open transfer rules

schools recruit over kids and the scholarships are not guaranteed for a full 5 years so all I see is players taking the initiative
But schollys are guaranteed for one year, and the expectation is that students will fulfill the terms for that year--or at least the competitive season. When they don't do so, you pull the benefits that remain under your control.

Eight

But schollys are guaranteed for one year, and the expectation is that students will fulfill the terms for that year--or at least the competitive season. When they don't do so, you pull the benefits that remain under your control.

understood, my point was that these decisions being made 1/3 of the way through the season are a byproduct of the ncaa rule change and that the decision by the player is driven by saving that one year

JogginFrog

understood, my point was that these decisions being made 1/3 of the way through the season are a byproduct of the ncaa rule change and that the decision by the player is driven by saving that one year
Got it. I don't think I understood that redshirting rules apply to the player whether the school applies the designation or not.

The article mentioned that the sitting out "trend" was also due to lengthened eligibility due to the pandemic. As that phases out, does it reduce players' likelihood to sit out?

Eight

Got it. I don't think I understood that redshirting rules apply to the player whether the school applies the designation or not.

The article mentioned that the sitting out "trend" was also due to lengthened eligibility due to the pandemic. As that phases out, does it reduce players' likelihood to sit out?

on the pandemic impact, would actually think it would emphasize the need to make the decision to transfer by the 4th game.

in the pandemic world players basically got 6 years under "normal" situations, but once that extra year is gone they are down to 5 and why burn a year if you are playing sparingly and know you are wanting to leave at years end