• The KillerFrogs

Inadvertent whistle late in the SMU game

Zubaz

I mean you're not wrong, but how come these things never seem to go in our favor? Seen too much BS against SMU over the years for it all to be coincidence.
Our deal is that somehow we always get the good calls against WVU. The skipped in two point conversion standing in 2012, no facemask penalty for ending Trickett's career in 2014, phantom OPI that won us the game in 2017, etc. The inverse of that with the football gods is that apparently we always get bad calls against SMU.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Go Frogs.com game info lists the names of game refs. Google a name/Big 12 football official And I got all kinds if info showing they were B12.

1st 12:33 7-0 1st 00:51 14-0 2nd 11:18 14-7 2nd 09:16 21-7 2nd 06:39 28-7 2nd 01:57 28-14 3rd 03:33 28-21 4th 08:14 35-21 4th 05:14 35-27 4th 02:31 42-27 4th 01:04 42-34
TIME DETAILS
Kickoff time: 11:08 AM End of Game: 02:44 PM Total elapsed: 03:35
OFFICIALS
Referee: Derek Anderson Umpire: Michael Henderson Linesman: Doug Moore Line judge: Quentin Givens Back judge: Daniel Young Field judge: Gabriel DeLeon Side judge: Mark Graves Center judge: Brian Alos
O.K. When I looked just after the game, there was no such information available. Yahoo Sports, NCAA, and a few others had no info either.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
what appeared to happen was miller was hit, but was sliding to a gap and an official responding to shouts of timeout from the smu sideline blew the play dead under the assumption miller was down when he clearly was moving

would suspect the whistle came from the side judge by the smu staff who could not clearly see miller

no choice was given to sonny as the play was blown dead and i think the only explanation given was oops
I believe this is correct. Terrible. Miller was still churning and upright.

Endless Purple

Random notes as I was looking yesterday at the refs.
TCU - SMU: TCU with 10 penalties to SMU's 3
TCU - Tarleton: TCU with 3 to Tarleton with 4
TCU - Colorado: TCU with 7 to Colorado 5

TCU - Iowa St: TCU with 4 to ISU with 2
TCU - Kansas: TCU with 3 to KU with 1
TCU - Ok St: TCU with 12 to OSU with 1

In the last 6 games there have been two with a large differential in penalties. Both of those games had the same ref crew.

There were probably others prior, but have not gone through all games of the last several years. I think the Baylor game prior to OSU had a larger differential but prior those were all GP games.

Froglaw

If I have to choose between BE and the ESPNU crew, I’m trusting Brian. It seems it would be fairly easy to confirm the official’s conference affiliation but I’m too lazy to try

One of my buddies whose plugged into the tcu radio team says the replay official was Big12 but the field crew was AAC.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

One of my buddies whose plugged into the tcu radio team says the replay official was Nig 12 but the field crew was AAC.
This is the longest I’ve seen a thread go on debating a subject where the question was answered very concretely earlier in the thread.

Multiple posters have said the names of the Big 12 officiating crew like ten times in this thread. It was a Big 12 crew on the field.

Froglaw

This is the longest I’ve seen a thread go on debating a subject where the question was answered very concretely earlier in the thread.

Multiple posters have said the names of the Big 12 officiating crew like ten times in this thread. It was a Big 12 crew on the field.

So our Broadcast team is just wrong?

Ron Swanson

So our Broadcast team is just wrong?
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Chieves

100% confirming they were B12 refs on Saturday. For OOC games, the usual pattern is to have the away team's refs in the home team's stadium, possibly as a way to help remove/ reduce conference bias.

Some of you may recall some atrocious C-USA (or whatever they were pre-AAC) officiating in our loss from 2011, where it took literal screaming and about 10 seconds for a ref to throw a flag on the most blatant PI I've ever seen in my life.

Brog

To sum all this conversation up, I think it would be correct to change the title of these posts to "Advertent Whistle", not "Inadvertent Whistle."

mc1502

Two thoughts:
- the whistle on Miller run was criminal. That was likely a TD, or a first down at worst. Can't happen at this level. He wasn't even being touched by an SMU player
- If there is clear weather and the home team can't get a play clock working within 20-30 minutes, a delay of game penalty should be assessed against the home team at some point. It's unacceptable in FBS football to not have a working play clock just because it's hot. I can understand if a big storm comes through and water shorts something out, but not on a clear day.
This regarding the play clock. I'm not in the "they are out to screw us so that the team from their conference can win" club, I think they just sucked at their jobs. But not having a functioning play clock at the college level (even HS level) is complete bushleaguebull [ Finebaum ].

Dogfrog

100% confirming they were B12 refs on Saturday. For OOC games, the usual pattern is to have the away team's refs in the home team's stadium, possibly as a way to help remove/ reduce conference bias.

Some of you may recall some atrocious C-USA (or whatever they were pre-AAC) officiating in our loss from 2011, where it took literal screaming and about 10 seconds for a ref to throw a flag on the most blatant PI I've ever seen in my life.
Before it was established it was B12 officials, due to all the confusion I was starting to wonder if the two schools agreed to use C-USA officials. Their conference headquarters is Dallas.

Dogfrog

This regarding the play clock. I'm not in the "they are out to screw us so that the team from their conference can win" club, I think they just sucked at their jobs. But not having a functioning play clock at the college level (even HS level) is complete bushleaguebullshit.
I think football officials are mostly very professional and competent. I also don’t believe they go into a game attempting to decide the outcome. However, they are human. Their paycheck is signed by the conference they work for and they are keenly aware of the importance of the outcome to their employer, particularly at the higher levels where championships and playoff appearances mean $$$$$. I think it is unintentional, but subconsciously on a very close play it could affect the call. They don’t want to be the guy called into the conference office to be reminded a missed call cost us millions.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
This regarding the play clock. I'm not in the "they are out to screw us so that the team from their conference can win" club, I think they just sucked at their jobs. But not having a functioning play clock at the college level (even HS level) is complete bushleaguebull [ Finebaum ].
I think SD actually mentioned that clock problems at Ford are nothing new

LisaLT

Go Frogs.com game info lists the names of game refs. Google a name/Big 12 football official And I got all kinds if info showing they were B12.

1st 12:33 7-0 1st 00:51 14-0 2nd 11:18 14-7 2nd 09:16 21-7 2nd 06:39 28-7 2nd 01:57 28-14 3rd 03:33 28-21 4th 08:14 35-21 4th 05:14 35-27 4th 02:31 42-27 4th 01:04 42-34
TIME DETAILS
Kickoff time: 11:08 AM End of Game: 02:44 PM Total elapsed: 03:35
OFFICIALS
Referee: Derek Anderson Umpire: Michael Henderson Linesman: Doug Moore Line judge: Quentin Givens Back judge: Daniel Young Field judge: Gabriel DeLeon Side judge: Mark Graves Center judge: Brian Alos
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think football officials are mostly very professional and competent. I also don’t believe they go into a game attempting to decide the outcome. However, they are human. Their paycheck is signed by the conference they work for and they are keenly aware of the importance of the outcome to their employer, particularly at the higher levels where championships and playoff appearances mean $$$$$. I think it is unintentional, but subconsciously on a very close play it could affect the call. They don’t want to be the guy called into the conference office to be reminded a missed call cost us millions.
I can remember poor ZebraFrog explaining that the Officials are the biggest fans of the game you could imagine, and that they take their charge as "Guardians of the Game" very, very seriously. He also used to take painstaking care in explaining to many how what we were seeing had an explanation that did not involve crookedness, or bias, but only our misunderstanding of the mechanics of officiating. There were also times in which he was quite critical of Officials for either not being in the right place to see something, or being too cowardly to stand up for what was right.

In this case, the BIGXII Offices have a real problem on their hands. The Whelp of Walt is running a crew that has screwed over the Frogs twice running now. That such nepotism is taking place is unsurprising, but what is surprising is the lack of competence seen in this crew. Yes, they did a number on us, over and over, but the nature of the calls were near-comical in their ineptitude. While I am aware that the BIGXII has never been thought of as being the Acme of Officiating, we weren't the nadir, either. I thought getting rid of that awful Obama Ref was a step in the right direction (Heh. Now he's the B1G's problem!), but it seems we've slid two steps back with this new imbecile and his gang of thieves.

Randy Christal and his gang had it in for the Frogs. They screwed us out of our first BIGXII game (vs. Iowa State), and probably the biggest BIGXII game to date (You know which game that is). The only good thing about that [ "illegitimate Baylor boy" ]'s career was his retirement. Good riddance. It absolutely annoys me that there is another crew that will be a monstrous impediment for the Frogs going forward.