• The KillerFrogs

Inadvertent whistle late in the SMU game

LisaLT

Pretty sure I have never seen a RB called down with no wrapping up OR even close to losing his balance to go down.
I agree. Very very strange. In fact sometimes I wonder why the officials don’t blow the whistle sooner on plays where the runner or receiver is clearly stopped and getting pummeled; in this case it was the exact opposite. I’d love to hear the explanation from the whistle blower as to what he saw (or clearly did not see).

Pharm Frog

I agree. Very very strange. In fact sometimes I wonder why the officials don’t blow the whistle sooner on plays where the runner or receiver is clearly stopped and getting pummeled; in this case it was the exact opposite. I’d love to hear the explanation from the whistle blower as to what he saw (or clearly did not see).
Whistle blowers are usually afforded uncommon protections so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Ron Swanson

If "oops" was their only response rather than giving TCU a choice, the crew should be suspended for one game. Blowing the whistle or making a bad judgement call is one thing, but when the crew allows a rules mistake, they should be disciplined.
It wasn’t an inadvertent whistle. An inadvertent whistle is when a ref mistakenly blows a whistle.

This was a ref thinking that Miller’s forward progress was stopped, so he intentionally blew his whistle to end the play and prevent unnecessary injury.

It was a ridiculous error in judgment, as the play very clearly should not have been over, but it wasn’t inadvertent, and therefore there was no choice to be made.

Play is over, tough ship TCU, next down let’s go.

It wasn’t an inadvertent whistle. An inadvertent whistle is when a ref mistakenly blows a whistle.

This was a ref thinking that Miller’s forward progress was stopped, so he intentionally blew his whistle to end the play and prevent unnecessary injury.

It was a ridiculous error in judgment, as the play very clearly should not have been over, but it wasn’t inadvertent, and therefore there was no choice to be made.

Play is over, tough ship TCU, next down let’s go.
I mean you're not wrong, but how come these things never seem to go in our favor? Seen too much BS against SMU over the years for it all to be coincidence.

Ron Swanson

I mean you're not wrong, but how come these things never seem to go in our favor? Seen too much BS against SMU over the years for it all to be coincidence.
I think that in general fans tend to ignore the calls that go in their favor, and then focus on the calls that go against them so they think the world is out to get them. I’m not saying the refs weren’t bad on Saturday, they were, but I think games are a lot more evenly called than the average fan recalls them being.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I think that in general fans tend to ignore the calls that go in their favor, and then focus on the calls that go against them so they think the world is out to get them. I’m not saying the refs weren’t bad on Saturday, they were, but I think games are a lot more evenly called than the average fan recalls them being.
Lots of posters on PonyFans complaining that we got away with all kinds of holding, and that had to be because of the Big 12 crew's obvious bias in our favor. They didn't say a thing about the 2 OPI calls on THT which were 10 feet over the receiver's head, or the bogus "late hit out of bounds" call in Mordecai's favor.

TemCatFrog71

what appeared to happen was miller was hit, but was sliding to a gap and an official responding to shouts of timeout from the smu sideline blew the play dead under the assumption miller was down when he clearly was moving

would suspect the whistle came from the side judge by the smu staff who could not clearly see miller

no choice was given to sonny as the play was blown dead and i think the only explanation given was oops
"Get these mutts away from me , you know, I don't find this stuff amusing anymore". --- Paul Simon

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There has been a lot of claims, but I have yet to see some kind of confirmation one way or another. Which Conference employs and pays those crooked imbeciles we endured on Saturday? Nowhere on box scores or anywhere else have I seen names, or affiliations. The BIGXII website doesn't tell me anything either. All we have so far is confusion.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
There has been a lot of claims, but I have yet to see some kind of confirmation one way or another. Which Conference employs and pays those crooked imbeciles we endured on Saturday? Nowhere on box scores or anywhere else have I seen names, or affiliations. The BIGXII website doesn't tell me anything either. All we have so far is confusion.
Go Frogs.com game info lists the names of game refs. Google a name/Big 12 football official And I got all kinds if info showing they were B12.

1st 12:33 7-0 1st 00:51 14-0 2nd 11:18 14-7 2nd 09:16 21-7 2nd 06:39 28-7 2nd 01:57 28-14 3rd 03:33 28-21 4th 08:14 35-21 4th 05:14 35-27 4th 02:31 42-27 4th 01:04 42-34
TIME DETAILS
Kickoff time: 11:08 AM End of Game: 02:44 PM Total elapsed: 03:35
OFFICIALS
Referee: Derek Anderson Umpire: Michael Henderson Linesman: Doug Moore Line judge: Quentin Givens Back judge: Daniel Young Field judge: Gabriel DeLeon Side judge: Mark Graves Center judge: Brian Alos

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
For the same reason they (all fan bases) think things never go in their favor?
Except for UT that usually know they get good treatment…

Zubaz

For OOC games between FBS schools, I believe the refs are almost always from the visiting team's conference. I'm almost positive that was a Big 12 crew.