• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

He left out the part where he needs to be a better coach. I’m REALLY hoping the guys were just going through the motions today.
He's tinkering right now the way he tinkered when he first took over. I gave him the benefit of the doubt 3 hears ago bc he had so much young talent yo evaluate he had to look at 60 different guys to figure out who could do what. After all the competition last year there aren't many unknowns anymore. If you're still tinkering in the tune-up window before the WC you wasted the entire previous year.

I gave him credit for a brilliant tactical shift in the Gold Cup, but I'm beginning to realize that was a blind squirrel landing on an acorn. I think he's in way over his head. It should be obvious by now. And if he really doesn't bring Pefok to Qatar it would be a bigger controversy than Klinsmann leaving Landon at home.

Purp

Pulisic and Pepi confirmed starters tomorrow.
Should be Pulisic and Pefok. I'd love to see Pepi break out, but I think November is too early for him based on his last year in Europe. Pefok has clearly demonstrated that he can perform and deliver at the highest level. Sargent hasn't even been able to do that, but they're both producing at a higher level than Pepi who is hardly producing at all. I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Berhalter for this one if it goes down that way on selection day.

Moose Stuff

Should be Pulisic and Pefok. I'd love to see Pepi break out, but I think November is too early for him based on his last year in Europe. Pefok has clearly demonstrated that he can perform and deliver at the highest level. Sargent hasn't even been able to do that, but they're both producing at a higher level than Pepi who is hardly producing at all. I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Berhalter for this one if it goes down that way on selection day.
In the absence of some REALLY good reason I’m unaware of (like all the other players hate him or something) it’s complete incompetence for Pepi to make this team instead of him.

Chongo94

So we should expect him to be back sometime late next spring.

This guy is absolute glass. He may actually be worse than his father was with injuries, unreal.

I know he’s young and he could grow into his body more but damn, I don’t expect him to ever fully contribute to the national team.

Purp

Just saw an analysis on ESPN FC speculating about what is next for Pep Guardiola. The commentator suggested he's basically checked off every box as a manager except for winning a World Cup with a national team. Seemingly out of the blue he threw out the USMNT as a potentially appealing landing spot for him given the amount of young talent and depth across the pool.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard something and wanted it to happen more than this. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I doubt it would happen, but I'm ready to start thinking about who is next. Berhalter has me ready for that guy already.

Portland Frog

Wow Purp. Interesting. I agree it would be great if Pep were the next coach for the US, but not holding my breath. So far from what I’ve seen of this US squad, it hasn’t come together. They may get out of the group stage (given the group is weak except ENG) but that’s about it.