• The KillerFrogs

Gary to Nebraska?

McGregor's Goat

I don't think he'll be in the top 5-7 people they go after. He's 62, his teams were mediocre to bad for 5 of his last 6 seasons, he developed a habit of saying really stupid things, and if he gets a look, the evidence strongly suggests that he's terrible at interviewing (keep in mind Nebraska took Pelini over Patterson in 2008). But if they strike out on Campbell, Klieman, Leipold, Rhule, Mark Stoops, and a few other guys, maybe they start to really get desperate. Even then, probably not.

CryptoMiner

Probably 2 current B12 coaches who are having success in the MW that are close to the top of Nebs list. I can't imagine FCGP in their top 10, but that doesn't mean he won't get the job o_O

Limey Frog

I'm sure he'd be interested. The fact that he didn't just retire after TCU shows that he still thinks he has something to prove. Clearly he'd rather 'go out on top,' which is sad because he could and should have gone out on top here (but there's no need to re-litigate that). For both their sakes, I hope Nebraska will go in a different direction. That seems like an overhaul job that is going to take some major energy, and I worry that GP would be too old for the job unless he's ready to a) hire the best rising stars as staffers instead of his old crony hacks, and b) properly delegate in a CEO role. I'd love to see him succeed somewhere (so long as it's not in the Big 12), and I'd be thrilled for it to be Nebraska; I just doubt that it would work.

dawg

No. If UTerus continues to perform well on the defensive side of the football, he'll have much better offers if he wants to HC again. Moving to the B1G has turned Nebraska into the football equivalent of Illinois, only with a fanbase that isn't self-aware and still thinks it is 1997 with their birthright to win 10 games and compete for nattys every year.

That said... unless he is just dying to be a HC again... why would he not stay on somewhere like UTerus as "special assistant to the HC" where all he has to do is sit in a room, watch film, and conjure up a defensive gameplan? He gets to do what he loves (coach defense) without the headaches of dealing with 18--20 year old Gen Zers, the portal, NIL, 'crooting, or any of the other headaches that come with being a HC in the 2020s.

CryptoMiner

No. If UTerus continues to perform well on the defensive side of the football, he'll have much better offers if he wants to HC again. Moving to the B1G has turned Nebraska into the football equivalent of Illinois, only with a fanbase that isn't self-aware and still thinks it is 1997 with their birthright to win 10 games and compete for nattys every year.

That said... unless he is just dying to be a HC again... why would he not stay on somewhere like UTerus as "special assistant to the HC" where all he has to do is sit in a room, watch film, and conjure up a defensive gameplan? He gets to do what he loves (coach defense) without the headaches of dealing with 18--20 year old Gen Zers, the portal, NIL, 'crooting, or any of the other headaches that come with being a HC in the 2020s.

He's paid $100K

Eight

He's paid $100K

know a guy who got paid about half that to work in a desalination plant in algers trying to resolve a filtration problem

granted, he wasn't having to deal with alums, the media, and college age males, but he was in a military controlled compound that required him to be convoyed via armored personnel carriers do to a "small issue' with some locals

HornyWartyToad

know a guy who got paid about half that to work in a desalination plant in algers trying to resolve a filtration problem

granted, he wasn't having to deal with alums, the media, and college age males, but he was in a military controlled compound that required him to be convoyed via armored personnel carriers do to a "small issue' with some locals
Would that be more, or less, annoying than dealing with Austin boosters?

Froggy Style

I was thinking he may go for a vacation home in Boulder. They're about desperate enough for a Mack Brown type of hire here.

Nebraska will go for a long term hire...but someone with good schemes. Maybe the Appilachian state guy.

Eight

I was thinking he may go for a vacation home in Boulder. They're about desperate enough for a Mack Brown type of hire here.

Nebraska will go for a long term hire...but someone with good schemes. Maybe the Appilachian state guy.

why would nebraska go away from what has worked so well the last few hires?