• The KillerFrogs

So Gary..

Eight

This was probably already posted but I couldn't find it. Thought it was very odd. Like, hey, I've heard all the talk about how my defense was so much better than defenses here in the past. Yeah, it's true, I'm making a huge difference here but I just want to let you know Coach Sark and the whole staff should get the credit.

Seemed completely unnecessary and very passive aggressive, but that's just me. Not to mention they lost the game.

know for certain i have never followed or tried to follow the tweets by any other analyst and i am fairly certain i can't ever recall an analyst ever being mentioned by name multiple times or given multiple sideline shots during a game of that magnitude

would guess somewhere someone has been given credit, but did they ever mention pete k by name during that game?

HFrog1999

This was probably already posted but I couldn't find it. Thought it was very odd. Like, hey, I've heard all the talk about how my defense was so much better than defenses here in the past. Yeah, it's true, I'm making a huge difference here but I just want to let you know Coach Sark and the whole staff should get the credit.

Seemed completely unnecessary and very passive aggressive, but that's just me. Not to mention they lost the game.

Get the credit?

For a loss?

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Eight

I saw that yesterday and had the same reaction. The celebratory tone coming out of Austin of, "Hey we didn't get our asses handed to us as bad as everyone expected," is so weird. Baylor-esque. . . Like their media guide is going to refer to it as a "non-win."
And weird [ #2020 ] for Gary to be posting- Wonder how he'd react if one of his assistants had done similar, lol.

only time i can remember an assistant under gary in the last 7-8 years having any post game contact was the sonny cumbie hostage video press conference , now that i think about it, even during the 2014 year there was mention of the impact of doug and sonny, but don't recall them saying much. maybe i missed it

Wexahu

I saw that yesterday and had the same reaction. The celebratory tone coming out of Austin of, "Hey we didn't get our asses handed to us as bad as everyone expected," is so weird. Baylor-esque. . . Like their media guide is going to refer to it as a "non-win."
And weird [ #2020 ] for Gary to be posting- Wonder how he'd react if one of his assistants had done similar, lol.
Ya, that's a good point.

The reaction probably would've involved an ass chewing.

HG73

What’s funny is Gary doesn’t realize how silly all this stuff makes him look.
Obviously. He has 4 lousy years in a row and gets fired. Everyone feels bad for him. Then he takes an analyst job for basically nothing money with our biggest rival. And revels in it.

If he was so great then he would have received a head coaching offer right away, or at least a DC job with a big program.

I hope he lands a HC job (if he wants one). Just not around here with a big rival.

Wexahu

Obviously. He has 4 lousy years in a row and gets fired. Everyone feels bad for him. Then he takes an analyst job for basically nothing money with our biggest rival. And revels in it.

If he was so great then he would have received a head coaching offer right away, or at least a DC job with a big program.

I hope he lands a HC job (if he wants one). Just not around here with a big rival.
I hope he does land a HC job around here with a big rival.

Because to be honest that train wreck would be fun to watch.

HornyWartyToad

I don't mean this as a put-down, even though it will probably sound like it. He's obviously a great defensive mind, and *maybe* could be a great DC at a big-time program(if his ego would let him), but I don't see him as a head coach any more. I think that time has passed him by.

Eight

think the analyst job allows him to focus on the part of the job he really enjoys and is still very good at in breaking down film, breaking down opponents, and game planing

removes him from the day to day crap of running a program that he didn't seem to enjoy and tried to off load part of in bringing in kill

unfortunately, kill was brought in to manage the offensive side of the ball and not overhaul certain aspects of that side of the ball, and other critical areas of the program that had fallen off were not being addressed

if and when gary takes another hc job, will he be willing to truly start anew or will he bring back some of the familiar faces and go back to his old ways or has he truly learned from his time in austin as he has mentioned a few times

Wexahu

know for certain i have never followed or tried to follow the tweets by any other analyst and i am fairly certain i can't ever recall an analyst ever being mentioned by name multiple times or given multiple sideline shots during a game of that magnitude

would guess somewhere someone has been given credit, but did they ever mention pete k by name during that game?
Imagine an analyst being so self-absorbed that he feels the need to circulate a public statement to remind everyone that the coaching staff should get the credit.

HornyWartyToad

if and when gary takes another hc job, will he be willing to truly start anew or will he bring back some of the familiar faces and go back to his old ways or has he truly learned from his time in austin as he has mentioned a few times
Pretty sure a large cadre of those dudes will be available whenever.

HornyWartyToad

Imagine an analyst being so self-absorbed that he feels the need to circulate a public statement to remind everyone that the coaching staff should get the credit.
That's gotta be causing Sark some angst and will grow worse if Gary keeps it up. OTOH, he probably has to grin and bear it for now, because it may be the thing keeping him employed. But sure doesn't seem like a recipe for sustained success.

Eight

Pretty sure a large cadre of those dudes will be available whenever.

hill is on the staff at cal i believe as an analyst, no idea about anderson or the running back coach, and think chad and the modkins aren't coaching right now.

think a very important question for him anywhere he interviews as an hc is who will he bring in on his staff. that is why i don't see the nebraska job and i laugh when the texas job gets mentioned by the likes of corso and this board

Eight

That's gotta be causing Sark some angst and will grow worse if Gary keeps it up. OTOH, he probably has to grin and bear it for now, because it may be the thing keeping him employed. But sure doesn't seem like a recipe for sustained success.

sark will be alright this year as that program has made some very big steps in being competitive and it isn't because of an analyst.

their offensive line is better than last year and with those three true freshman has a high ceiling, they have robinson, and three good receivers to pay with him. the utsa game could be interesting and pay dividends later this year for them. if card can't go the qb is wright which i would suspect means a heavy dose of the ground game. based upon what i saw the fourth quarter of the bama game those young guys in the line seemed like the top just waiting for that chance to prove their worth.

the big key is the quarterback and right now ewers needs snaps to see if he truly can handle the position. he showed arm talent that card just doesn't have.

biggest threat to sark at texas is the impatience of the boosters

East Coast

Tier 1

How much is he getting paid? It may be nothing money to him, but I doubt it's nothing money to almost anyone on this board.

That being said, I don't get the fascination of following what he is doing now so closely. I wish him well, except for when he plays us. That's it.

HG73

Isn't his salary $150k? I don't think anyone is fascinated with him, he just keeps doing things that piss us off.

HornyWartyToad

sark will be alright this year as that program has made some very big steps in being competitive and it isn't because of an analyst.

their offensive line is better than last year and with those three true freshman has a high ceiling, they have robinson, and three good receivers to pay with him. the utsa game could be interesting and pay dividends later this year for them. if card can't go the qb is wright which i would suspect means a heavy dose of the ground game. based upon what i saw the fourth quarter of the bama game those young guys in the line seemed like the top just waiting for that chance to prove their worth.

the big key is the quarterback and right now ewers needs snaps to see if he truly can handle the position. he showed arm talent that card just doesn't have.

biggest threat to sark at texas is the impatience of the boosters
I don't disagree with any of that, I just would think that at least to some degree Sark may expect that Gary is responsible for what looks right now to be a major defensive turnaround. Who knows, maybe Bama's offense just stinks, at least compared to years past.
Point being, I'm betting there's a tension in Sark's mind right now between wishing not to have the drama Gary brings to the table, and enjoying the benefit of his expertise.

HG73

This isn't true, and they make fun of us for thinking this way. Texas does not care about us at all. At all
Okay. Which team on our schedule would you rather beat? And I don't care if ut doesn't care about us. At all. Fine with me if we just keep beating them and they keep not caring.

FrogCop19

Regarding his tweet, none of us know what he has privately received in terms of credit. I've also heard many analysts on sports channels giving him credit for the job they did against the Tide (yes, even in a loss), so this tweet might actually be warranted from his perspective.

Is it still a bit tone deaf? Yeah, but then again that's Gary.