• The KillerFrogs

B1G deal: Big Ten lands $7 billion, NFL-style TV contracts

For all the half-answers and complete unknowns presented Wednesday at the University of California Board of Regents meeting about UCLA’s planned departure for the Big Ten, one thing was perfectly clear: This isn’t over.
….
Charlie Robinson, the general counsel for the UC Office of the President, seemed to indicate the regents could withdraw the authority delegated to a chancellor.

“For this particular matter, the regents could say ‘We want to act and therefore we do not want the (UC) president or the (campus) chancellors to act in this area,’ and simply assert that,” Robinson said.
….
Robinson responded: “The (UC) president is a direct report to the board chair, so one mechanism would be for the board chair to say, ‘I’m directing you, in this instance, to stand down, and the board will be exercising authority in this area.’ ”

Eight

ironic that the california legislature was one of the first to open the door to paying college athletes without much consideration on the impact to college sports and yet the pac as a conference has been the most resistant to the idea that college sports is truly a business

now we get the regents trying to block the move of ucla to the big 10.

would find it a bit humorous if the big 10-18 told to ucla they were too much trouble and swapped oregon for them

won't happen because they want the socal carriage fees and two schools in la make travel for non-football sports a bit more efficient but i can see the cali regents botching this situation

Endless Purple

I think it is absolutely "normal" for the Cal govt/regents to get involved to try to force one of the schools to forgo a large pay raise just because they feel left out of power and want to throw a temper tantrum.

I really hope the regents succeed once contracts are signed and the B1G, FOX, CBS all sue them for breach of contract while the B1G then invites Oregon, Stanford or Washington to replace UCLA. Leaving UCLA with a 24 million dollar contract or less.

Moose Stuff

I'm sure I'm nowhere near sophisticated enough to understand the game being played, but seems to me like now their deal is inked based on the current membership, it's done. It becomes much less likely they are taking on anyone else, unless they have a side agreement to up their pay if they do. I could see that if they could get ND, but less so for UW or even Oregon.

EDIT: Just saw Limey's link. Exactly what they did. So I guess that makes it more likely for the PAC to hold together while UW and UO sit up and beg for an invite
I think it’s just the opposite to be honest.

And here’s your confirmation

I will guess that the Big 12 will not be getting any 11 a.m. time slots on FOX and ESPN, those being reserved for Tier 1 “A game“ broadcasts of the Big Ten and SEC/ACC.

From the article—
The belief that the SEC is ESPN’s priority moving forward was solidified during negotiations, Big Ten sources told SI. In terms of a monetary offer and providing a dedicated time slot for football games, the Big Ten was left wanting more from ESPN.
….
The addition of traditional broadcast titans CBS and NBC allows the league to expand its Saturday football game menu from noon until nearly midnight ET. The Big Ten lineup will be: Fox televising the league’s “A” game at noon; CBS keeping the 3:30 p.m. window it has employed with the SEC; and NBC broadcasting a prime-time game that comes on the heels of Notre Dame home contests.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

I will guess that the Big 12 will not be getting any 11 am time slots on FOX and ESPN, those being reserved for Tier 1 “A game“ broadcasts of the Big Ten and SEC/ACC.

From the article—
The belief that the SEC is ESPN’s priority moving forward was solidified during negotiations, Big Ten sources told SI. In terms of a monetary offer and providing a dedicated time slot for football games, the Big Ten was left wanting more from ESPN.
….
The addition of traditional broadcast titans CBS and NBC allows the league to expand its Saturday football game menu from noon until nearly midnight ET. The Big Ten lineup will be: Fox televising the league’s “A” game at noon; CBS keeping the 3:30 p.m. window it has employed with the SEC; and NBC broadcasting a prime-time game that comes on the heels of Notre Dame home contests. Fox will coordinate a game draft with the Big Ten office each year.
No 11 AM time slots? Good

Bizarro Frog

We are going to end up with four Power conferences and the BIG 12 or whatever our name is at the time will be included. The B1G and SEC know they would be alienating a bunch of the nation if they try and just have a playoff among themselves. The ACC is going to survive because they are locked in their TV contract for another decade so their best teams are kind of not poachable. There will be a 12-16 team playoff including all of the Power 4 conferences and the Group of 5#?? if they want to include them to appear fair.

I think what makes so many BIG 12 fans insane is last year when it all hit the fan no one came to save us, some wanted to bury us, and we had to save ourselves. It feels like the PAC 12 and their national media writers expect some TV network to come save them. It comes off as pretty arrogant. If they want to survive they are going to have to invest time and money in their own football and basketball programs. It appears most have been unwilling to do that up until this point and are just living off name recognition. Outside of Oregon and Utah I don't think any of the other 8 leftovers would favored in a game over any of the our new BIG 12 except Kansas.

Chongo94

Jesus…..so now I can’t escape broadcasts of Rutgers vs Nebraska on any major sports channel now?

These cable carriers are gonna face some scheissed off customers if they start airing middling Big 10 games when decent other Big 12 games are available.

I don’t think a Purdue vs USC matchup plays as well as these executives vomiting money to the Big 10 think it does.

TCUdirtbag

ironic that the california legislature was one of the first to open the door to paying college athletes without much consideration on the impact to college sports and yet the pac as a conference has been the most resistant to the idea that college sports is truly a business

now we get the regents trying to block the move of ucla to the big 10.

would find it a bit humorous if the big 10-18 told to ucla they were too much trouble and swapped oregon for them

won't happen because they want the socal carriage fees and two schools in la make travel for non-football sports a bit more efficient but i can see the cali regents botching this situation

The regents are not trying to block UCLA.

HornyWartyToad

This is some kind of wild story playing out. . . It's a head-scratcher for me to hear B1G saying they aren't done expanding, and at the same time what would seem to be their most realistic targets(UW and Oregon) begging to be asked, yet nothing is happening. Why wait? Even if they knew the CA regents might try to block UCLA, that seems to make grabbing two more West Coast schools all the more attractive. Craziness, and it would be much more fun to watch if it didn't come with this feeling that there's someone hiding behind a curtain with a gun pointed at TCU's head, waiting for the signal. In other words. . .

We're scheissed.

LisaLT

This is some kind of wild story playing out. . . It's a head-scratcher for me to hear B1G saying they aren't done expanding, and at the same time what would seem to be their most realistic targets(UW and Oregon) begging to be asked, yet nothing is happening. Why wait? Even if they knew the CA regents might try to block UCLA, that seems to make grabbing two more West Coast schools all the more attractive. Craziness, and it would be much more fun to watch if it didn't come with this feeling that there's someone hiding behind a curtain with a gun pointed at TCU's head, waiting for the signal. In other words. . .

We're scheissed.
If they are not done expanding, that doesn't necessarily mean they are going after other PAC teams. They could target teams from any of the other conferences (SEC withstanding).

Casey T

If my math is right, $1B per year on average divided by 16 schools comes out to $62.5M per school per year on average. Not very close to the $100M/yr number I saw thrown around. Still lots of money, and I know this doesn’t include some other revenue from bowl games and NCAA tournament

Biggest news in my mind was that CBS and NBC demanded, and won, some tier 1 draft slots for their schedule. FOX still has the most, but you’ll see some BIG games of the week on both CBS and NBC throughout the season, as well as several conference championship games. Really didn’t think FOX would do that.

Might be a net-positive for the Big 12… probably.

Also seems like Fox subcontracting some basketball to ESPN+ is likely in time.

Big Frog II

If my math is right, $1B per year on average divided by 16 schools comes out to $62.5M per school per year on average. Not very close to the $100M/yr number I saw thrown around. Still lots of money, and I know this doesn’t include some other revenue from bowl games and NCAA tournament
They still have the BTN revenue as well as bowls and basketball credits.