• The KillerFrogs

Carven Holcombe inducted into SWC Hall of Fame

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Sorry, Jamie--Carven gets my vote as best Frog hoopster of the mid-80s. Great to see him recognized.

Carven Holcombe, the steadying influence behind a Texas Christian...​

By MIKE RABUN, UPI Sports Writer

DALLAS -- Carven Holcombe, the steadying influence behind a Texas Christian effort that carried the Horned Frogs to a runaway Southwest Conference championship, was named Tuesday as United Press International's SWC basketball player of the year.

Holcombe headed an all-tournament team that included two members of the surprising Baylor Bears.

Jim Killingsworth, who guided the Frogs to the league crown despite losing one of his key players, was selected as coach of the year by a select group of writers and broadcasters who covered this year's conference race.

Holcombe was joined on the all-conference first team by Baylor's Darry Middleton and Michael Williams, Houston's Greg Anderson and TCU teammate Larry Richard.

The second team included Texas A&M's Winston Crite, TCU's Jamie Dixon, Houston's Rickie Winslow, Texas Tech's Sean Gay and SMU's Kato Armstrong.

Ron Huery of Arkansas, among the league leaders in steals, assists and free-throw percentage, was chosen freshman of the year.

Holcombe averaged 17.1 points per game and hit 57 percent of his field goal attempts in displaying the kind of senior leadership which carried the Frogs through their first undisputed championship season in 16 years.

Middleton led the league in scoring with a 19-point average and was second to SMU's Terry Williams in field goal percentage with a 55.6 average. Michael Williams was the league's fourth best scorer and was a backcourt catalyst for the Bears - who finished an undisputed second in the conference race. It was Baylor's best showing since 1971

Although Richard was not among the league's top scorers, he was second to Anderson in rebounds and joined Holcombe as a 1-2 punch in TCU's march to a 14-2 conference record.

Anderson picked up 10.7 rebounds per game and was second to Middleton in scoring with an 18.5 average.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Man, those were some great times at DMC. Every game a sellout, rowdy crowds, great athleticism from Carl Lott and Rod Jacques (not Jamie), SWC was as exciting and as good a basketball conference top to bottom as any in the country in those days. I really miss yelling at Shelby Metcalf, and Gerald Myers -n- them.
Shelby had one of the greatest lines of all time, as he was leaving the AD's office at AnM (John David Crow) after being fired. "They say that Aggies take care of one another, and one just took care of me."

HornyWartyToad

Shelby had one of the greatest lines of all time, as he was leaving the AD's office at AnM (John David Crow) after being fired. "They say that Aggies take care of one another, and one just took care of me."
I don't remember if he made a habit of this, but I remember them coming to DMC right after one or maybe two of their players got busted with weed by DPS. The student section right behind the visitors bench was getting on them so hard during time-outs that they began pulling their chairs out to the middle of the court to huddle. It was glorious.