• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

Also…

”Barcelona still cannot register their summer signings after La Liga rejected an attempt to use the club’s own funds to inflate the value of two of the asset sales they had resorted to in order to balance the books and strengthen their team.”

Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT

Purp

City and PSG too.
I agree, but the thing that makes Barca worse, IMO, is that they're basically insolvent right now and only being propped up by monopoly money. It's a house of cards and their board is putting on a massive front to make it seam like they're fine. The club should go bankrupt and suffer severe penalties. It should be worse than what happened to Rangers in Scotland a decade or so ago.

Chongo94

I agree, but the thing that makes Barca worse, IMO, is that they're basically insolvent right now and only being propped up by monopoly money. It's a house of cards and their board is putting on a massive front to make it seam like they're fine. The club should go bankrupt and suffer severe penalties. It should be worse than what happened to Rangers in Scotland a decade or so ago.
I read or heard (can’t remember exactly) that Barca’s thinking is they go hard in the short term to try to stave off destruction hoping that profits in the short term help jumpstart them back to where they were or they just basically dissolve and start all the way over.

Obviously they’ve decided on the go hard short design but the people saying this also said that it would essentially just pass the buck on down and they would likely find themselves in this same position a number of years down the line.

Purp

I read or heard (can’t remember exactly) that Barca’s thinking is they go hard in the short term to try to stave off destruction hoping that profits in the short term help jumpstart them back to where they were or they just basically dissolve and start all the way over.

Obviously they’ve decided on the go hard short design but the people saying this also said that it would essentially just pass the buck on down and they would likely find themselves in this same position a number of years down the line.
Those idiots that bought future rights from them this summer better have some serious insurance against that investment. There may not be a Barca to market at that point. I'd love to see it happen. Those fools leveraged everything on the super league and, when that died, so did they. We're just seeing the dead carcass convulse with reflex actions right now. It can't be long before it's completely lifeless.

Purp

Not sure where he slots in over the next few years. We have so many great young midfielders. McKennie and Musah seem like locks with Adams. Tillman is in the next wave with de la Torre for me. It's crazy to think we could have the type of midfield depth in 2026 that we could sit a McKennie and Musah for a game and have very little drop off with their back-ups.

Purp

What is going on with Gio that, not only did he not play today against Freiburg, he didn't even dress? I was a little surprised he didn't play at least as a sub in opening weekend, but I could maybe understand them bringing him along slowly. But to not even dress today? That sounds like a bigger problem than I expected.

It may be too much an overreaction, but I'm downgrading him in my mind to unlikely in Qatar until/unless he starts playing consistently and at a high level.

Moose Stuff

What is going on with Gio that, not only did he not play today against Freiburg, he didn't even dress? I was a little surprised he didn't play at least as a sub in opening weekend, but I could maybe understand them bringing him along slowly. But to not even dress today? That sounds like a bigger problem than I expected.

It may be too much an overreaction, but I'm downgrading him in my mind to unlikely in Qatar until/unless he starts playing consistently and at a high level.
Everything I see says it’s totally precautionary/bringing him back slowly. Who knows?