• The KillerFrogs

OT: Oklahoma's Gundy resigns after using offensive language

vicarfrog

Sure; it's simple and clear: say The Word That Shall Not Be Spoken aloud and you're finished. That couldn't be clearer at this point. Because our society now has absolutely no capacity, willingness, or courage to distinguish between malicious intent and honest mistakes stemming from momentary lapses. We also lack any capacity for grace, because the moral economy of our civilization no longer rests on a formative meta-narrative of divine grace, but is animated solely by retributive impulses in a world where everything is political and all political lines are unalterably tribal. You can't be mistaken, sorry, and forgiven; you can only be wrong, evil, and punished.

It's not the prohibition on The Forbidden Word that is lamentable: I could, needless to say, happily live the rest of my life without hearing it again. It's what insane responses like this suggest about our collective lack of reasonableness and moral courage that bother me.

To repeat: we're all in serious trouble; enjoy the decadent pleasures of a fatally ill civilization while you can.

You son of a gun…you stole what I was going to say. Well said! :)

vicarfrog

Crazy how blacks are freely able to say a word but if a white person says it, that makes it racist, but its not racist when blacks say it

It’s a trash word and any person regardless of ethnicity, who that throws it around is part of trash culture.

Good rule of thumb: If it didn’t come out of the Lord Christ’s mouth, then don’t use it.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

Gary lost control of the locker room when he told his players to not use the n-word and actually verbalized it....From then on, the on-field efforts of the players were poor and getting poorer....Adult leaders are expected to be more circumspect, cautious, and couth than any of the student players....Gundy seems to have decided to get out before a similar player backlash occurs at Oklahoma State....
I'll disagree with you but he was slowly was loosing the locker before that. I credit our AD who saw down the pike and made the change.

vicarfrog

For the players too?
I would say yes. That word should never be on our lips. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for anyone who uses it. But higher education is no longer part of the game, so good luck getting players if you ever implemented that rule.

vicarfrog

I see a day coming soon where there may be some problems getting fans…..just sayin.

I think you might be right. In the 90s I was just a little kid, but I LOVED MLB. Ryan Sandburg and Mark Grace and Daryll Strawberry were my heroes, but when that strike happened, it killed my love of the game. I barely watch baseball anymore, but I am slowly coming back.

I fear that will happen to college football.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I would say yes. That word should never be on our lips. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy for anyone who uses it. But higher education is no longer part of the game, so good luck getting players if you ever implemented that rule.
If education were part of the equation, The Word would have no baggage, or meaning. Just another word that held no power. But, alas, frauds and scumbags operating under the guise of "education" and "activism" have weaponized The Word, and hold the power of absolute ruin and professional destruction to any they feel they should apply this power to. All this does is make people operate in a constant state of fear.

I don't have a danged thing to lose, and thus don't care. There are far worse words to use as I see fit to describe the rotten, worthless garbage cluttering the landscape. But someone like Gundy, who evidently loved what he did, constantly had an invisible sword over his head and any misstep would bring down bloody destruction on his passion, his career, and his life. To the scumbags, it's just another scalp. One more stuffed head trophy-mounted up on the wall to terrorize those they haven't singled out for destruction just yet.

PurplePassion

Princess
Crazy how blacks are freely able to say a word but if a white person says it, that makes it racist, but its not racist when blacks say it
I understand your point, but you screwed it up by saying “blacks.” Twice. They are black people, if you must, but they are not “blacks” or “the blacks.”

At any rate, I do feel like no one should be saying it. At least intentionally. But I think saying it with no malice should not result in “cancelation.”

froginaustin

I am VERY skeptical that OU would fire a long-time assistant coach (who apparently had some serious success) and fairly distinguished alumnus over one of this sort of incident. Haul him on the carpet, publicly? Yep. Demote and/or fine him on the job? Yep.

The cynic in me says that this smells like an excuse, not a reason for a firing. Particularly with a brand new head coach in the building. Who knows how Gundy and Venables got along, or Gundy and someone else in the OU community that swings a big stick?

Eight

I am VERY skeptical that OU would fire a long-time assistant coach (who apparently had some serious success) and fairly distinguished alumnus over one of this sort of incident. Haul him on the carpet, publicly? Yep. Demote and/or fine him on the job? Yep.

The cynic in me says that this smells like an excuse, not a reason for a firing. Particularly with a brand new head coach in the building. Who knows how Gundy and Venables got along, or Gundy and someone else in the OU community that swings a big stick?

if you stay at one place long enough you also tend to develop a history and when people cover for the events of that history you might start to feel some what invinceable and others might start to see you as a liability