• The KillerFrogs

OT: Oklahoma's Gundy resigns after using offensive language

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Reminds a little of what GP did ...

Oklahoma's Gundy resigns after using offensive language

Cale Gundy, a coach and mainstay of the Oklahoma Sooners college football program, resigned on Sunday after admitting to reading aloud a word in front of the team's players that he described as "shameful and hurtful."

Gundy's 24-year association with the Sooners dates back to 1990, when he played three seasons as the team's quarterback, throwing more than 6,000 yards and achieving 35 touchdowns.

Having graduated in 1993, Gundy went on to serve as a graduate assistant in 1994, before moving on to coach quarterbacks and running backs at Alabama-Birmingham.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...tement-after-saying-shameful-word/ar-AA10qTQn

HornyWartyToad

Pretty crazy that he's getting run for impromptu reading out loud what a player wrote during film session. But I guess that's the world we live in now.
Notably stark difference from how Gary handled his (worse, IMO) situation.

Limey Frog

I mean it’s a fairly simple rule. Don’t use the n word. Ever. Certainly seems like a tough penalty based upon the circumstances, but I kinda feel like that rule is crystal clear.

Sure; it's simple and clear: say The Word That Shall Not Be Spoken aloud and you're finished. That couldn't be clearer at this point. Because our society now has absolutely no capacity, willingness, or courage to distinguish between malicious intent and honest mistakes stemming from momentary lapses. We also lack any capacity for grace, because the moral economy of our civilization no longer rests on a formative meta-narrative of divine grace, but is animated solely by retributive impulses in a world where everything is political and all political lines are unalterably tribal. You can't be mistaken, sorry, and forgiven; you can only be wrong, evil, and punished.

It's not the prohibition on The Forbidden Word that is lamentable: I could, needless to say, happily live the rest of my life without hearing it again. It's what insane responses like this suggest about our collective lack of reasonableness and moral courage that bother me.

To repeat: we're all in serious trouble; enjoy the decadent pleasures of a fatally ill civilization while you can.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

I mean it’s a fairly simple rule. Don’t use the n word. Ever. Certainly seems like a tough penalty based upon the circumstances, but I kinda feel like that rule is crystal clear.

You’re right, the rule is super simple.

I don’t fully buy Gundy’s “I didn’t know what I was saying” BUT like you said the penalty here is extreme if what Gundy said is the full truth. So it seems there must be more to the story here — perhaps he and Venables weren’t clicking and this was used by one or the other as an out, perhaps there were other things said or done and the official OU write up is trying to gloss over the those (would be very on brand given recent history). Who knows. But this doesn’t add upon- and that’s pretty normal.

ShreveFrog

Gotta be more to this. If it happened as Gundy says it did (in a position room with a small group of players, I guess) Venables should’ve been able to calm down anyone there upset about Gundy reading allowed the word a player wrote down, and calm down the locker room. Maybe Gundy was not apologetic enough.

Eight

Gotta be more to this. If it happened as Gundy says it did (in a position room with a small group of players, I guess) Venables should’ve been able to calm down anyone there upset about Gundy reading allowed the word a player wrote down, and calm down the locker room. Maybe Gundy was not apologetic enough.

agree completely with dirtbag that there is much more to this and as gundy was there before when venables was on staff at ou this isn't the first time they have been around each other

the math isn't working out on this and we most likely won't know the entire story, but i don't buy the story currently being told

Froginbedford

Pretty crazy that he's getting run for impromptu reading out loud what a player wrote during film session. But I guess that's the world we live in now.
Notably stark difference from how Gary handled his (worse, IMO) situation.
Gary lost control of the locker room when he told his players to not use the n-word and actually verbalized it....From then on, the on-field efforts of the players were poor and getting poorer....Adult leaders are expected to be more circumspect, cautious, and couth than any of the student players....Gundy seems to have decided to get out before a similar player backlash occurs at Oklahoma State....

Wexahu

Gary lost control of the locker room when he told his players to not use the n-word and actually verbalized it....From then on, the on-field efforts of the players were poor and getting poorer....Adult leaders are expected to be more circumspect, cautious, and couth than any of the student players....Gundy seems to have decided to get out before a similar player backlash occurs at Oklahoma State....
Oklahoma

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
This is Cale Gundy. He played QB at Oklahoma and has coached there.

HornyWartyToad

Gary lost control of the locker room when he told his players to not use the n-word and actually verbalized it....
This is why I'm saying IMO Gary's was worse. He had time to contemplate what he was going to say before saying it, and still failed miserably at, "reading the room," and then got defensive about it before finally giving a grudging mea culpa.

I see this as a win for OU by comparison, because now the coaches there will be able to credibly tell kids, "We don't abide racism." (Whether you believe that's what it was, or not).
I agree with others that it seems like there must be something more there than what's being said publicly.

What a weird world we are living in. I can't wait to chuck all the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] and move out to the farm. I'll be very well-pleased to spend my Saturdays hunting, fishing, and occasionally watching the Good Guys on the big screen while screaming whatever inappropriate things come to mind (after sending the woman shopping, of course).

Eight

hmmmm....when bob stoopes was the hc cale at the end had the titles of asst. hc/inside receiver coach/ recruiting co-ordinator and suspect the titles were way of paying him more

then lincoln takes over and cale becomes co-oc/inside receiver coach/ recruiting co-ordinator though this was lincoln's offense

now under venables he is the wr coach and no other titles.

curious if this was the case of a former player who was popular with some alums and had some relationships around the state who was kept on staff in positions where he had help so to speak from other staff members and venables didn't view him as quite as important as bob and lincoln

realize keeping former players on staff who are popular with alums and might be a better recruiter than position coach sounds crazy, but when i look at his title changes over the past few years this isn't just about a word