• The KillerFrogs

TCU Hoops Thoughts

Pitt Friend

Pitt Hoops fan here. Just wanted to come over and share a few positive thoughts. I knew Jamie Dixon fairly well when he coached at Pitt and we talked fairly frequently. I have nothing but the best things to say about him.

From time to time, I still talk to a guy who knows him much better than ever I did and still talks to him today. Last fall, my guy told me that Dixon told him he really liked the team they put together and he really thought the team was going to end up being much better than people would expect. Talked to the same guy couple weeks ago and he shared that this might be as excited Dixon has ever been about one of his teams. The conversation was something along the lines this could end up being his best team ever if the shooting comes around. This would be some pretty good news for TCU fans as Dixon had #1 seeds in 2009 and 2011. What TCU fans probably already know about Dixon teams is the importance he places on practice and experience. So much of Pitt's success in from 2002-2016 was based on experience. And if I'm not mistaken TCU has the most returning experience of any team in College Hoops.

Couple other things -- and this might be more my guy's take than actual words from Dixon -- but Mike Miles might be Dixon's best player ever. That would be something considering he had guys like DeJuan Blair, Aaron Gray and Sam Young. Regardless, I'm guessing he likes Miles at least as much as any player he's had, although I was also told Bane might have held that honor previously. I think I just saw a list that had Miles as a 2nd team preseason AA.

The only thing I have to wonder is why there doesn't seem to be much excitement, heck even any conversation, here on this message board about Hoops at all. We've have plenty more conversation on Pitt message boards this summer and our hope is finally for our first winning record since Dixon left instead of the preseason Top 15 team like TCU will be. I still remember those days at Pitt fondly. Nonetheless, I wish all the best for TCU hoops and hope you have a special season If there's any questions you might have about Dixon from his days at Pitt, I will be happy to try to answer.

Endless Purple

Thanks for sharing.

TCU is, and most likely always will be, football first, then basketball/baseball. Summers are generally football or realignment (which is football based). Basketball will pick up once we are closer to the season, especially if we are looking to have a second good year in a row.

y2kFrog

I’ve watched many ridiculous games over the last 25 years. I am as excited as I have been since 97-98. I have no doubt this year team will be the best TCU team ever. Heck, last years team actually has a decent argument. We return the whole squad full of hard workers. Hopefully, they are shooting thousands of shots a day.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Pitt Hoops fan here. Just wanted to come over and share a few positive thoughts. I knew Jamie Dixon fairly well when he coached at Pitt and we talked fairly frequently. I have nothing but the best things to say about him.

From time to time, I still talk to a guy who knows him much better than ever I did and still talks to him today. Last fall, my guy told me that Dixon told him he really liked the team they put together and he really thought the team was going to end up being much better than people would expect. Talked to the same guy couple weeks ago and he shared that this might be as excited Dixon has ever been about one of his teams. The conversation was something along the lines this could end up being his best team ever if the shooting comes around. This would be some pretty good news for TCU fans as Dixon had #1 seeds in 2009 and 2011. What TCU fans probably already know about Dixon teams is the importance he places on practice and experience. So much of Pitt's success in from 2002-2016 was based on experience. And if I'm not mistaken TCU has the most returning experience of any team in College Hoops.

Couple other things -- and this might be more my guy's take than actual words from Dixon -- but Mike Miles might be Dixon's best player ever. That would be something considering he had guys like DeJuan Blair, Aaron Gray and Sam Young. Regardless, I'm guessing he likes Miles at least as much as any player he's had, although I was also told Bane might have held that honor previously. I think I just saw a list that had Miles as a 2nd team preseason AA.

The only thing I have to wonder is why there doesn't seem to be much excitement, heck even any conversation, here on this message board about Hoops at all. We've have plenty more conversation on Pitt message boards this summer and our hope is finally for our first winning record since Dixon left instead of the preseason Top 15 team like TCU will be. I still remember those days at Pitt fondly. Nonetheless, I wish all the best for TCU hoops and hope you have a special season If there's any questions you might have about Dixon from his days at Pitt, I will be happy to try to answer.
There's a lot of cautious optimism, and a strong desire to avoid angering the Basketball Godz.

That and we're still annoyed at the AZ ending...

Bizarro Frog

We have been burned so many times I think most fans are afraid to get excited about 2 good seasons in a row. It has not happened in lifetimes. Frog fans will be insane if we have a Top 15 team this year.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Well, the Big 12 will be the strongest, toughest, hardest Conference to play in all of College basketball in 2022.

There is tons of excitement for the FROGS Hoops year and it'll be a blast too watch every game.
That being said the Big 12 Conference will be a handful!!!

So just getting into the NCAA Tournament should see TCU go much further that last year, even if the Frogs record is a reflection of the brutal strength of the conference.

Even at 24-12, TCU will be a tough out in the NCAA Tourney. If their record is better than that............. look out!

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

We have been burned so many times I think most fans are afraid to get excited about 2 good seasons in a row. It has not happened in lifetimes. Frog fans will be insane if we have a Top 15 team this year.
I would be very happy if the cagers were simply 8-0 vs KU, Baylor, OU and Tex-ass.

And get Zona again in the NCAAs.

We'd have excitement then!

Fosterpark Squatter

When I lived in Cincy I saw the Bearcats play Pitt a few times in the Big East. Always seemed to upset em for some reason which made the Big O (usually in attendance) happy.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Do you know anyone who goes by Skip Jansen?
73777.jpg

Frog-O-Rama

I’ve watched many ridiculous games over the last 25 years. I am as excited as I have been since 97-98. I have no doubt this year team will be the best TCU team ever. Heck, last years team actually has a decent argument. We return the whole squad full of hard workers. Hopefully, they are shooting thousands of shots a day.
As much as I like and enjoy our current team and look forward to the season, gotta love that 70-71 team.

Eight

here is a question for you that is very relevant for this team and maybe one reason why the excitement doesn't seem to be at the level you believe appropriate

while at pitt, if a dixon team had a very apparent weakness at the end of one year did that weakness show up next year unaddressed

specifically, last year's team struggled to shoot from behind the arc as last year's team shot 30% from behind the arc and took way too many 3's to not be at least average on that shot

actually, this has been a continued problem and the reason why it is so troubling is they have one big who is damn good, a few others who can score, players who can slash and score and they would be lethal if defenses had to play them honest, but over the last few years smart defenses have dropped back in and dared the frogs outside shooters who unfortunately in the words of the immortal patches o'houlihan looked like a bunch of retards trying to hump a door nob

realize that sounds harsh and most likely the bouron talking but this has been a continued plight the last few years for jamie's teams and while they play hard and play good defense that isn't enough in this league

so in the past would his guys do the work to get better in an area of weakness

understand the perspective here as the frog's football team has a transfer corner who keeps talking about how improving his craft is on him and he takes it upon himself to watch film and work on his footwork and so when i see a frog basketball player who the past few years is about as accurate from behind the arc as a major news pundit it does damper my enthusiasm a bit because i know it can be done if you freaking do the work