• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Spot on.

If this is how it’s gonna be this season, then I may have to just get Peacock as I was already leaning to doing so. Still, just an absolute joke.
This is exactly why I refuse to give in. Darn those pecker heads if they think I'm going to pay them more for stuff they should put on regular channels. I wouldn't have ESPN+ if it weren't for the Disney+ package for the kids. I wouldn't have Paramount+ if it weren't for the 247 subscription coming with it. I wouldn't have Prime if it weren't for the free shipping on all the endless shopping my wife does on Amazon. I don't do Netflix or AppleTV. I refuse to give in to Peacock. I just won't do it. Peacock is for the Fulham or Leeds fans when they play each other. They can all kiss my arse.

Moose Stuff

This is exactly why I refuse to give in. Darn those pecker heads if they think I'm going to pay them more for stuff they should put on regular channels. I wouldn't have ESPN+ if it weren't for the Disney+ package for the kids. I wouldn't have Paramount+ if it weren't for the 247 subscription coming with it. I wouldn't have Prime if it weren't for the free shipping on all the endless shopping my wife does on Amazon. I don't do Netflix or AppleTV. I refuse to give in to Peacock. I just won't do it. Peacock is for the Fulham or Leeds fans when they play each other. They can all kiss my arse.
Netflix is worth it just for Stranger Things and Cobra Kai.

Purp

Netflix is worth it just for Stranger Things and Cobra Kai.
I don't have time for TV shows. 3 young kids playing sports year round is where all my time goes every day of the week. If I watched a show I'd have to not watch some sports I'd care about more. I've kinda always been that way though even when I was a kid playing. I think the only shows I watched every time when they came on were Full House and 24. And maybe House toward the end of the series. I've never been much of a TV watcher unless there's a game on.

Last edited:

Purp

EPL starts today. Wildly incorrect prediction time:

Winners:
Liverpool

CL Places:
City
Spurs
Arsenal

Golden Boot: Salah

Going down:
Southampton
Bournemouth
Fullham
I think I agree with your top 4, but I don't see City losing the title.

Golden Boot may be the tightest in a while. I think Kane and Son may cancel each other out a bit, but there are several elite options that would all be reasonable picks. Salah is a rational pick with the departure of Mane; it stands to reason he'd get more chances as a result.

I think Fulham stay up. They've lost key guys, but also brought in quite a few too. They've spent money to bolster their talent and depth. I'm honestly worried for Everton this season. I'm not sure they've done enough from a personnel standpoint. They lost some vital figures and haven't adequately replaced them.

dawg

I think I agree with your top 4, but I don't see City losing the title.

Golden Boot may be the tightest in a while. I think Kane and Son may cancel each other out a bit, but there are several elite options that would all be reasonable picks. Salah is a rational pick with the departure of Mane; it stands to reason he'd get more chances as a result.

I think Fulham stay up. They've lost key guys, but also brought in quite a few too. They've spent money to bolster their talent and depth. I'm honestly worried for Everton this season. I'm not sure they've done enough from a personnel standpoint. They lost some vital figures and haven't adequately replaced them.
Something tells me Haaland doesn't click in the PL right away, and City drop enough early points to allow Liverpool to build a bit of a cushion. "Yeah, @dawg, like they did last year before City reeled them in?" Yeah. Only this year they won't. Or maybe I really don't want City to win again, and that clouds my picks.

Who goes down should be just as tight of a battle as the top 6. Like you said, Everton ( who will miss Richarlison mightily) will struggle after barely missed the drop last year. Leicester (rumors Tielemans might go before the window closes, and though Rodgers said Maddison isn't for sale everyone has a price) ... could definitely see them drop further into the bottom half. Forest, much to Dr Middleton's delight, will be in the drop mix but survive. I hope Fullham stay up (soft spot for them ever since McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey starred in West London).

Purp

Something tells me Haaland doesn't click in the PL right away, and City drop enough early points to allow Liverpool to build a bit of a cushion. "Yeah, @dawg, like they did last year before City reeled them in?" Yeah. Only this year they won't. Or maybe I really don't want City to win again, and that clouds my picks.

Who goes down should be just as tight of a battle as the top 6. Like you said, Everton ( who will miss Richarlison mightily) will struggle after barely missed the drop last year. Leicester (rumors Tielemans might go before the window closes, and though Rodgers said Maddison isn't for sale everyone has a price) ... could definitely see them drop further into the bottom half. Forest, much to Dr Middleton's delight, will be in the drop mix but survive. I hope Fullham stay up (soft spot for them ever since McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey starred in West London).
EJ and Keller had stints with the Super Whites too. I'll always pull for them for the same reason. And Jedi/Ream are there right now.

I'm also pulling bigly for Forest. I think they've made enough moves to stay up as well. They're one of the English clubs with the richest history prior to the corporatization of the EPL. I'm a big fan of their story as it is very similar to that of TCU 10-15 years ago.

dawg

I’m in “Missouri” with Spurs and Gunners. Show me. Less so with the Spurs than Arsenal.
We're "pulling an Arsenal" right now. Clinging to a 1-nil, regretting having blown early chances, 100m worth of midfielders getting bossed around. I've seen how this movie ends before, and it's... just, .... sigh.

Bizarro Frog

Nottingham Forest all the way. I bought a random Forest serving tray at Blue Bonnet Liquor while at TCU and have pulled for them since. My wife kept trying to get rid of it then when they made the promotion playoff I harnessed it’s power to help them get promoted.

Purp

Was hoping to watch a replay of this game but it doesn’t look like espn+ is showing replays now…?? Wth?

Big win for Leeds. They’re gonna need every single point they can get this year.
Sometimes it takes a few hours to put events up for replay. Watching Dortmund right now, but I'll look after. I suspect it will be up there.