• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU RB coach Anthony Jones talks fall camp

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU RB coach Anthony Jones talks fall camp​

ByJEREMY CLARK

11225310.jpg

TCU held their second practice of fall camp on Tuesday and following the two-hour workout, running backs coach Anthony Jones visited with the media.

Jones is in his first season after arriving from Memphis. Under Jones, Memphis had five running backs selected in the NFL Draft; Kenneth Gainwell, Antonio Gibson, Patrick Taylor, Darrell Henderson and Tony Pollard.

In the 2019 NFL Draft, Henderson and Pollard both were drafted. Henderson was selected as the No. 70 overall pick (6th in the third round) by the Los Angeles Rams. Pollard quickly followed in the fourth round (No. 128 pick) as a Dallas Cowboys' selection. Henderson and Pollard both saw action in their rookie seasons.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-Horned-Frogs-Anthony-Jones-190923777/

ShreveFrog

Great to hear about Demarcado. I've always thought he was solid. But gotta say, I'm excited about Bailey after watching him in the spring game. We still have a good stable.

McFroggin

Great to hear about Demarcado. I've always thought he was solid. But gotta say, I'm excited about Bailey after watching him in the spring game. We still have a good stable.

If he is #2, I’m not excited by our RB group at the moment. He is a straight-ahead runner with very little vision. Hopefully the improvement is shocking.

Chongo94

Bailey seemed awesome in the spring game. Could be a nice little secret weapon.

CountryFrog

If he is #2, I’m not excited by our RB group at the moment. He is a straight-ahead runner with very little vision. Hopefully the improvement is shocking.
First off, this is week 1 of fall camp so lots of time left to shake things out.

Second, Demarcado does a number of things very well that are important. Being #2 RB doesn't necessarily mean he'll be #2 in carries. While he's not the most explosive or elusive runner on the team, he may very well be the best on the team at every other aspect of playing the position.

McFroggin

Don’t get the Demarcado shade. He’s solid at every aspect. Stepped in well for our departed free agent RB last season. Played a big role in the Baylor win as I recall.

Every aspect? Those are some purple shaded glasses. He can run straight ahead, block, and doesn’t fumble. Those are great traits. He isn’t going to fool you or have break away speed. Breaking tackles is not his skill set, but if you need a few yards up the middle, I’d rather have him than whatever QB sneak [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] we run.

Dogfrog

Every aspect? Those are some purple shaded glasses. He can run straight ahead, block, and doesn’t fumble. Those are great traits. He isn’t going to fool you or have break away speed. Breaking tackles is not his skill set, but if you need a few yards up the middle, I’d rather have him than whatever QB sneak [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] we run.
Baylor shut down our running game. Evans would not play. Miller had -2 yds and a fumble. Demercado had 34 tough yards and some key first downs and no fumbles. I respect that.

CountryFrog

Hopefully you understand there are things related to the position which are of importance other than "Fooling you" (I guess this means elusiveness but not sure?) and breakaway speed.

Plus you're wrong about him not being able to break tackles. He may not be as strong in this area as Miller but this is certainly not a weak spot for Demarcado.

McFroggin

Baylor shut down our running game. Evans would not play. Miller had -2 yds and a fumble. Demercado had 34 tough yards and some key first downs and no fumbles. I respect that.

Shut down our running game? You mean Baylor shut down Demercado. He had 19 attempts for 34 yards. Miller was banged up - only got 2 attempts. Evans not playing. QB rushing yards was 6+/carry. So essentially Demercado had every opportunity to do something. No one with 3 rushing attempts or more had trouble running the ball except Demercado.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Shut down our running game? You mean Baylor shut down Demercado. He had 19 attempts for 34 yards. Miller was banged up - only got 2 attempts. Evans not playing. QB rushing yards was 6+/carry. So essentially Demercado had every opportunity to do something. No one with 3 rushing attempts or more had trouble running the ball.
Baylor had a respectable defense, especially. And our OL was not the greatest.

Dogfrog

Shut down our running game? You mean Baylor shut down Demercado. He had 19 attempts for 34 yards. Miller was banged up - only got 2 attempts. Evans not playing. QB rushing yards was 6+/carry. So essentially Demercado had every opportunity to do something. No one with 3 rushing attempts or more had trouble running the ball except Demercado.
Demercado played a big role in beating Baylor. He wasn’t hurt, he wasn’t on the sideline dreaming of where he will play next, and we won.

Ron Swanson

It’s like you only watched his first season here and then locked in your opinion of him forever.

He was a completely different RB last season and was actually very good. Lost a ton of weight and looked like a different player. Go back and watch the games focusing only on him and I guarantee you that you’ll have some “oh ship” moments. Most improved player on the team hands down.

He’s no threat to win the Doak Walker Award, he’s not overly special, but he’s damn good.

McFroggin

It’s like you only watched his first season here and then locked in your opinion of him forever.

He was a completely different RB last season and was actually very good. Lost a ton of weight and looked like a different player. Go back and watch the games focusing only on him and I guarantee you that you’ll have some “oh ship” moments. Most improved player on the team hands down.

He’s no threat to win the Doak Walker Award, he’s not overly special, but he’s damn good.

We have been blessed with some good RB’s over the years. Off the top of my head, I can’t recall a single year in the last decade in which I believe he should be given the most carries. That’s not damn good. It’s serviceable back-up. He is the Ryan Christian of current. We don’t want him back there, but it’s what we got. In a disappointing fashion (partially Evans drama), we gave him the rock more than anyone last year. That resulted in 1/3rd less yards than the 2 RB’s above him. Even his receptions resulted in fewer yards after catch and totals. Maybe he will take another big step forward this year and prove me wrong.

Ron Swanson

We have been blessed with some good RB’s over the years. Off the top of my head, I can’t recall a single year in the last decade in which I believe he should be given the most carries. That’s not damn good. It’s serviceable back-up. He is the Ryan Christian of current. We don’t want him back there, but it’s what we got. In a disappointing fashion (partially Evans drama), we gave him the rock more than anyone last year. That resulted in 1/3rd less yards than the 2 RB’s above him. Even his receptions resulted in fewer yards after catch and totals. Maybe he will take another big step forward this year and prove me wrong.
I just watched the Baylor game highlights from last year and Demercado had a pretty good game. You forgot to mention that Demercado had:

- 4 huge receptions for 55 yards
- A very impressive long TD run that got called back for holding
- Multiple handoffs where he was tackled in the backfield the second he was handed the ball, which weren’t his fault at all and killed his average YPC for the game.

Watch for yourself and then please come back to tell everyone you were cherry picking stats to try to prove your incorrect point.