• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Sonny Dykes wants his quarterback to be TCU’s point guard

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Sonny Dykes wants his quarterback to be TCU’s point guard

BY STEVEN JOHNSON

FTW_BaylorvsTCUcfb5

When it comes to the looming quarterback competition, TCU head coach Sonny Dykes has a clear vision for what he wants from the winner.

“I always thought that playing quarterback is like playing point guard. You’re distributing the ball to other guys and your job is to make them look really good. The guy that makes everybody look the best is typically the best player,” said Dykes, the first-year coach who opens camp next week.

There are currently five quarterbacks on the roster with Max Duggan and Chandler Morris expected to be the primary contenders for the job.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article263890292.html#storylink=cpy

Palliative Care

The coach speak with an elite QB is about expecting him to be making big plays. I know making others better is Sonny’s method. But I guarantee if we get an elite QB the verbiage will change. I am not ditching on our QB’s. They are what they are and I hope one of them steps up this summer. Still neither has played at a high level consistently so far. They have had really good games but that is not how they play all the time. Elites play at a high level most of the time. This is our missing offensive piece this year. Well also we lack depth at OL.

Eight

The coach speak with an elite QB is about expecting him to be making big plays. I know making others better is Sonny’s method. But I guarantee if we get an elite QB the verbiage will change. I am not ditching on our QB’s. They are what they are and I hope one of them steps up this summer. Still neither has played at a high level consistently so far. They have had really good games but that is not how they play all the time. Elites play at a high level most of the time. This is our missing offensive piece this year. Well also we lack depth at OL.

in terms of the quarterbacks themselves, don't disagree that none of the quarterbacks on campus have proven consistently to be an elite quarterback

where i disagree is the verbiage sonny is using is consistent with what he has asked his quarterbacks to do in his offense and if a quarterback truly does have the recognition ability before the snap, anticipation throwing receivers open into big plays, and the accuracy they are going to be an elite quarterback

drew brees to me is the text book of what sonny wants from his quarterback, but i could be all wrong

biggest difference i can think between the offense the frogs ran the past few seasons and what dykes has done in the past is that the frogs had become dependent upon max to do what to much, similar to sam at texas, where as a quarterback in dykes' system will put up big numbers if they do the right things but it will be the result of getting the ball to the talent so that they can carry the offense

Limp Lizard

May be reading too much into it, but Dykes says:
I always thought that playing quarterback is like playing point guard. You’re distributing the ball to other guys and your job is to make them look really good.
Then Dykes says about Morris:
I saw the kind of leader he was and he was one of the guys that made everybody look better,
I may be reading too much into it. Hopefully we will know by August 19.

After 20+ years of trying to figure out what GP meant, straight talking from Sonny may be misconstrued.

Palliative Care

Boykin was not always consistent but he made the WOW plays. Dalton moved to a high level of constancy especially his senior season.

If Morris and Duggan can only achieve consistency at a medium level this offense will work.

82 Frog Fever

Boykin was not always consistent but he made the WOW plays. Dalton moved to a high level of constancy especially his senior season.

If Morris and Duggan can only achieve consistency at a medium level this offense will work.
With either QB this offense is approx. 450 yds/game. Their problem is not moving the ball, it’s scoring.
In 2021, we had the 36th ranked offense, but only 66th in scoring. Sonny has to fix that.
That said, their biggest hill to climb is defense.

JogginFrog

I'll be happy with better distribution, although designed QB runs were the best weapon the Frogs had last year. Would love to see those still in the mix, but it sounds like Sonny is saying that Max won't win the job with his feet.

Eight

I'll be happy with better distribution, although designed QB runs were the best weapon the Frogs had last year. Would love to see those still in the mix, but it sounds like Sonny is saying that Max won't win the job with his feet.

agree, max running the ball is a legitimate weapon, but don't want to see him be the center of the run game

when max has been a secondary run game option that defenses have to respect versus being the guy they focus upon it creates big problems and we have seen the big plays

same in the passing game. if max can consistently do the pre-snap work and effectively get the ball to the receivers his ability to leave the pocket and gain yards with his feet becomes that much more dangerous

Palliative Care

We saw how limited Duggan was in his last few games on a bad foot. Duggan probably relies on his feet at times when receivers are open. Sonny would rather he throw first and run as a last resort. But he can run!