• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Sonny Dykes has two QB options for TCU football, but he’s still looking for a starter

Palliative Care

Maybe but I think a react defense rather one that must read and then react is a beater option these days. People flying to the ball beats sitting back and waiting. But who knows. I guess this is why they still play the games.

Limp Lizard

Max had a 157.63 QB Rating last year. In 2018 a certain QB had a 133.21 (#65) rating, in 2019 with a new QB/passing coach he had a 201.96 rating...Burrows, of course. A coaching change can make a huge difference.

Also, for the defense coaching may make a big difference. I still believe it was not X's and O's or talent that sunk us last year. That malady had been growing since 2016. Hopefully we will get a lot of healing done.

Zubaz

In 2018 a certain QB had a 133.21 (#65) rating, in 2019 with a new QB/passing coach he had a 201.96 rating...Burrows, of course. A coaching change can make a huge difference.
2018 LSU was a Top 10 team that won the Fiesta Bowl. Whether it was scheme or coaching, whatever they were doing was working. That's not exactly comparable to Max's teams.

Limp Lizard

2018 LSU was a Top 10 team that won the Fiesta Bowl. Whether it was scheme or coaching, whatever they were doing was working. That's not exactly comparable to Max's teams.
Not talking about W/L. That is the team. If Max had played to a 133 rating last year we probably would have won two games total. Maybe. LSU probably would have done just as well in 2018 with a number of QB's: a "game manager" as GP often called his QB's before the switch in 2014.

tetonfrog

Max had a 157.63 QB Rating last year. In 2018 a certain QB had a 133.21 (#65) rating, in 2019 with a new QB/passing coach he had a 201.96 rating...Burrows, of course. A coaching change can make a huge difference.

Also, for the defense coaching may make a big difference. I still believe it was not X's and O's or talent that sunk us last year. That malady had been growing since 2016. Hopefully we will get a lot of healing done.
Our DL was awful last year. Cannot remember a GFP defense whose DL was that bad. No pass rush and they were blown off the ball all the time.

cheese83

Our DL was awful last year. Cannot remember a GFP defense whose DL was that bad. No pass rush and they were blown off the ball all the time.
I think that had to do more with instructions, half the time it looked like he had our guys trying to hold their assignments and the DEs play QB spy instead of attacking up field.

cheese83

End of the day we still don't have a QB. If he really thought we were good to go at QB I don't think we ever meet with Ewers.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
End of the day we still don't have a QB. If he really thought we were good to go at QB I don't think we ever meet with Ewers.
Yes, we do. What we have is standard issue Coachspeak: "We don't have a starter." What this actually means is, "I am trying to motivate both players who have a realistic shot, and the 4th year starter will be a lot more motivated if he thinks he has competition."

Max will be all kinds of better for a number of reasons, chief of which is competent instruction. Other factors will include decent blocking, better coaching for the WR corps, excellent running backs, and a scheme that will play to his strengths rather than try to hammer him into a particular slot.

I'm not prophesying 2014 here, but the cupboard wasn't bare around Fort Worth, and the new guys will be far better at utilizing and scheming for the talent they have rather than trying to slot players into roles they aren't suited for and then bitching when they don't perform.

Froggish

Ewers did come to campus but Sonny never met with Ewers because his family wanted to try and extract millions out of TCU.

Also...If you look at Sonny's career he's never went to the transfer portal for a QB in year 1. I have asked around as to why and was told because QBs hold the keys to locker rooms. Walk in the door and cast the existing QB room aside for an outsider and it will take you 3x as long to win over the locker room. This is especially true in such a volatile situation as the state of TCU Football was after GPs dismissal.

Last edited:

LisaLT

Yes, we do. What we have is standard issue Coachspeak: "We don't have a starter." What this actually means is, "I am trying to motivate both players who have a realistic shot, and the 4th year starter will be a lot more motivated if he thinks he has competition."

Max will be all kinds of better for a number of reasons, chief of which is competent instruction. Other factors will include decent blocking, better coaching for the WR corps, excellent running backs, and a scheme that will play to his strengths rather than try to hammer him into a particular slot.

I'm not prophesying 2014 here, but the cupboard wasn't bare around Fort Worth, and the new guys will be far better at utilizing and scheming for the talent they have rather than trying to slot players into roles they aren't suited for and then bitching when they don't perform.
Not to mention Max and his foot injury should be healed 100% now vs last year.

cheese83

So you think Max is the lead dog?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So you think Max is the lead dog?
1.) I do not live in Fort Worth.
2.) I have no access to, or gossipy friends next to any TCU Coaching Staff or Trainers or Anyone At All Connected With The Football Program.
3.) I pay for no "exclusive access!" or any other sites offering hot takes on TCU Athletics.
4.) Considering all of the above, all I have to go on is my roughly 50 years of watching and paying attention to football, the opinions and gossip in this here site, and my increasingly shaky gut. Those intuitive metrics say that Sonny would be an idiot to bench a 4-year starter unless he "had a knee" and a sore on his pecker. Sonny didn't walk onto the job with a 5* recruit he promised the starting job to, and the Morris kid is a damned fine talent, but Max has one year to go and he has looked good and made good decisions given the chaos he has been forced to deal with. Like TB2, I believe there are a great deal of wins there for the taking provided you utilize his talents intelligently.

I have great respect (still) for Patterson's Football Kung Fu. Sonny came into Fort Worth twice running, with less talent, and pulled Patterson's underwear over his head both times. Evidently, his Football Kung Fu is superior, and much of it is Proper Utilization of Talent.

Froggish

1.) I do not live in Fort Worth.
2.) I have no access to, or gossipy friends next to any TCU Coaching Staff or Trainers or Anyone At All Connected With The Football Program.
3.) I pay for no "exclusive access!" or any other sites offering hot takes on TCU Athletics.
4.) Considering all of the above, all I have to go on is my roughly 50 years of watching and paying attention to football, the opinions and gossip in this here site, and my increasingly shaky gut. Those intuitive metrics say that Sonny would be an idiot to bench a 4-year starter unless he "had a knee" and a sore on his pecker. Sonny didn't walk onto the job with a 5* recruit he promised the starting job to, and the Morris kid is a damned fine talent, but Max has one year to go and he has looked good and made good decisions given the chaos he has been forced to deal with. Like TB2, I believe there are a great deal of wins there for the taking provided you utilize his talents intelligently.

I have great respect (still) for Patterson's Football Kung Fu. Sonny came into Fort Worth twice running, with less talent, and pulled Patterson's underwear over his head both times. Evidently, his Football Kung Fu is superior, and much of it is Proper Utilization of Talent.

Your point stands although It likely won't be a decision based on previous experience. If Sonny worked like that he wouldn't have rolled with a Freshman in Goff at CAL. I think Max is plenty capable of winning the job but he had better bring his "A" game to fall camp. This holding the ball to long and missing wide open WRs isn't going to fly under Sonny. I can tell you Morris is going to give him a fall camp fight.