• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Fellas! Don't beat on the UT Type too much. I mean, it's not like he is insecure enough about his Chosen Program to be pulling out dusty mementoes of a bygone age and proudly displaying them, as if we didn't know already and didn't really care. It's sort of pathetic, really...

He is hiking up his skirts and flouncing off to the SEC, by gum! We've peed in his Wheaties for the last time, and he won't put up with such insults any longer. There's a better class of people where he's going, he'll have you know! (?Sarc)

I, for one, am looking forward to the regular beatings the UT Types will endure. Based on their rich and storied history, they figure they will quickly vault to the top in their new neighborhood. What they don't realize is that they've had it pretty good these last years of the BIGXII, and that the SEC isn't just "crooked with a genteel veneer" but mean and nasty in ways they cannot even comprehend.

Limey Frog

Political posturing. There's no way UCLA didn't figure this out legally in advance.

I'm starting to feel very worried that reason is going to cobble something together like they did for the Big 12 in 2011 to keep the Pac 10 together and throw enough extra cash at FSU, Clemson, Oregon, etc. through some ACC-Pac crossover games that the situation will stabilize in the immediate term. I'm pretty sure that would be bad news for TCU eventually.

I really hope Oregon has reason to believe the Big 10 will eventually give them a call and this refuses to sign anything.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
This cover 2 generations.

TCU-2.png
Which cover would that be?

Can I buy an s please.

BrewingFrog

And you don’t call any shots now, you’re a minion.
That single aspect of this whole drama is the most mystifying one of all to me. Why do you give up the essential control and stroke UT had in the BIGXII to go elsewhere, and lose all control? That doesn't make any sense...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Money in sufficient quantities makes many things bearable. But control of one's destiny should never be surrendered.

2themax

or at least two generations according to his math as that was 40 years ago, but they also have been teaching revisionist history in austin for quite some time
I was gonna say I was playing hs fb in '82.
I'm retired with a grandchild and another on the way.
Safe to say a lot of fb has been played since.

Longhorn from Aledo

That single aspect of this whole drama is the most mystifying one of all to me. Why do you give up the essential control and stroke UT had in the BIGXII to go elsewhere, and lose all control? That doesn't make any sense...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Money in sufficient quantities makes many things bearable. But control of one's destiny should never be surrendered.
Big games. That's it and the money. OU, Aggy, Piggy. When I was a student, those were the big games. We only have one currently and it's always in Dallas. We have no good home games with traditional rivals. It's all about drawing interest.

I like TCU. I grew up in Ft. Worth. I would love for TCU to go to the B1G. I know the ESPN talking heads love Sundance Square. I think Gameday is there at least once every year. Getting Michigan and some Big 10 teams in Ft Worth would be fun.

I used to party with Sonny on the Double T at PK. Hope he does well. TCU has always been his dream job btw.

Palliative Care

Newsome is blowing smoke in California about UCLA. If he had an actual vote or a decision making role he would be making more definitive statements like "I am going to put a stop to this!" Right now he is posturing for the electorate. The fact that the school can make more cash in the B10 than the PAC pays, makes any move on his part draw him into a quagmire of pro and against people. Just sounding off is the safe way of saving face.

Dogfrog

Newsome is blowing smoke in California about UCLA. If he had an actual vote or a decision making role he would be making more definitive statements like "I am going to put a stop to this!" Right now he is posturing for the electorate. The fact that the school can make more cash in the B10 than The PAC makes any move on his part draw him into a quagmire of pro and against people. Just sounding off is the safe way of saving face.
or posturing for Disney, UCLA, USC, and B1G campaign contributions.

Hemingway

They will taking orders from Birmingham now. They can’t even handle a horns sign right now, wth do they think is going to happen in the swamp or Death Valley. It’s mind boggling

TCUdirtbag

Newsome is blowing smoke in California about UCLA. If he had an actual vote or a decision making role he would be making more definitive statements like "I am going to put a stop to this!" Right now he is posturing for the electorate. The fact that the school can make more cash in the B10 than the PAC pays, makes any move on his part draw him into a quagmire of pro and against people. Just sounding off is the safe way of saving face.
Newsom serves on the Board of Regents of the University of California. Both UC Berkeley and UCLA are part of the system. He’s (rightfully) irritated the Board wasn’t given a heads up, much less consulted. When you consider the potential adverse effects on Berkeley, it makes sense the Board would be frustrated to read about it in the paper with the rest of us.

Hate the guy/his politics all you want. But as a Board member for the UC System, he is right to be a little annoyed and stating as much.

FWIW, this is a fairly unique situation as there aren’t many university governing boards that oversee multiple Power 5 institution conference mates. Arizona (UA and ASU), Kansas (KU and K-State), and Mississippi (Ole Miss and State) are the only ones that immediately come to mind. That sort of structure creates more complex issues in realignment.

Last edited:

asleep003

Big games. That's it and the money. OU, Aggy, Piggy. When I was a student, those were the big games. We only have one currently and it's always in Dallas. We have no good home games with traditional rivals. It's all about drawing interest.
'
So, if you get beat 7 of the last 10 years by another ... that other hasn't become a rival.?. After leaving the league, horns should be requesting them on thanksgiving every year in Austin, to get your Nads back.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

I like TCU. I grew up in Ft. Worth. I would love for TCU to go to the B1G. I know the ESPN talking heads love Sundance Square. I think Gameday is there at least once every year. Getting Michigan and some Big 10 teams in Ft Worth would be fun.

I used to party with Sonny on the Double T at PK. Hope he does well. TCU has always been his dream job btw.
OU used to have a rivalry game every year, too: OU-Nebraska. That went the way of the Dodo. Yes, there used to be a lot of good rivalry games. They were all killed off by greed.

I have probably bored everyone here with Tales From My Youth already, but, patience, gentle reader, as I recount Days Gone Past. My Father played for the Longhorns back in the 50s. One of my earliest memories was being hoisted up on his shoulder one brisk November afternoon to walk with the other ex-Letterman around old Memorial Stadium to the Visitors section, where the Letterman serenaded the depressed Aggie faithful with a dirige-like "Poooor Aggies... Poooor Aggies..." The tree where they liked to hang out and drink beer was still there at Sholtz' last time (2007) I visited. The ghosts of the past still haunt the older of us, for we remember...

It was the avarice of DeLoss Dodds that killed the Old SWC, and his arrogance which wounded the early BIGXII. Many here would salute the man, because it was his nod that brought us into the BIGXII. I remember that it was his machinations that excluded us in the first place. But, like him or hate him, he made the BIGXII, and UT commanded it from a position of unquestioned strength. It was that dick-swinging that drove off Nebraska, and A&M. Nebraska used to be a force in the old Big 8, but with their new affiliation, they had no stroke whatsoever. A&M has always had Little Brother Syndrome, and it is a special kind of pathetic that they keep their old songs that illustrate this even after they have moved on. Now, I guess those old tunes will mean something again. We'll see...

No one knows what the structure of the New and Improved SEC will look like. With that many members, there may not be those cherished Rivalry Games every year, but perhaps every three or four years. They may not happen that often. We simply don't know. ESPN is in charge of SEC scheduling, and what they say will be what goes. And what they say will have to do with what they consider compelling games, which may not be at all compelling to You The Fans. ESPN doesn't care. Buy your tickets and shut up. You had a good gig with the Longhorn Network, but that's gone now. You're just one of a bunch of programs, and not a particularly special one given the rest of the SEC roster. It will be a wrenching shock for some years to come.

I mourn for what was, in the simpler times gone past. When we could pile in the car and drive to just about any away game. The proximity made each game a rivalry game. Now, with multiple shuffles of the Conference deck, there is no continuity, no structure. It has all been swept away and replaced by a New Order, which really has no order at all, save for one that constantly shifts around. We the Fans are supposed to just sit back and accept it enthusiastically, and pay money to see more of it.

I remember Dad in his last days. We had rigged a TV in his room so he could watch either old Westerns or the Longhorn Network. His mind was going, and though he knew that the Longhorns were playing, he couldn't remember the outcomes of the games even though we were in attendance at a couple of them. Each one was a new experience for him, all over again...