• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

LisaLT

Looking forward to watching him at the US Open.

The finals will be an interesting match up with the Joker vs The obnoxious Aussie.

Brog

He dominated the first set. If Djoker gets off to a slow start against Kyrgios like he did in the quarters and semis then He'll lose on Sunday.
He gets off to a slow start on most matches he plays. Has already come back from 0-2 sets this time at Wimbledon. Wonder what his deal is.

Purp

He gets off to a slow start on most matches he plays. Has already come back from 0-2 sets this time at Wimbledon. Wonder what his deal is.
That's not a persistent pattern for his career. He usually dominates. I'd expect Kyrgios to come out hot and he's got more raw talent than either of Djoker's last two opponents. I don't see Djoker digging out of a 2 sets to love hole against a properly motivated and healthy Kyrgios.

FrogUltimate

That's not a persistent pattern for his career. He usually dominates. I'd expect Kyrgios to come out hot and he's got more raw talent than either of Djoker's last two opponents. I don't see Djoker digging out of a 2 sets to love hole against a properly motivated and healthy Kyrgios.

Yeah the problem with Kyrgios is that he serves so well, probably the best in the world right now besides the two American serve-bots. So if you get down 0-2, there's a very high chance that regardless of how well you play, Kyrgios is going to take you to at least one tiebreaker in those final three sets simply through huge serving. And tiebreaks are a toss-up between good players, with the edge towards big servers.

Brog

Maybe you're right, but the so called tennis "experts" are all wondering what the deal is with his increasingly frequent slow starts. Didn't use to be that way. Could it have something to do with the fact that he's getting older all the time?

Purp

Maybe you're right, but the so called tennis "experts" are all wondering what the deal is with his increasingly frequent slow starts. Didn't use to be that way. Could it have something to do with the fact that he's getting older all the time?
Could be age. Maybe because he plays fewer events he's less sharp. I don't know. But if he does it on Sunday I think he loses. And it could even be in straight sets.

Longfrog

Kyrgios could definitely win. But while Norrie still had plenty of doubters that pointed to his weak draw (which it was), I don't see the same scrutiny for Kyrgios. Even before the enormous break he got from Nadal's withdrawal, he had a very fortunate path to the semis. What was his best win? Tsitsipas in 4? Tiafoe took him out in straights in R1 last year. It took him 5 sets to get past Paul Jubb. Yes he's got a big serve and a big game, but I haven't seen anything in the past 2 weeks that makes me doubt that Djokovic is a big favorite.

FrogUltimate

Kyrgios could definitely win. But while Norrie still had plenty of doubters that pointed to his weak draw (which it was), I don't see the same scrutiny for Kyrgios. Even before the enormous break he got from Nadal's withdrawal, he had a very fortunate path to the semis. What was his best win? Tsitsipas in 4? Tiafoe took him out in straights in R1 last year. It took him 5 sets to get past Paul Jubb. Yes he's got a big serve and a big game, but I haven't seen anything in the past 2 weeks that makes me doubt that Djokovic is a big favorite.

Kyrgios beating Tsitsipas definitely validates the draw for many. If you look deeper you realize Tsitsipas hasn't been playing well and grass is easily his worst surface, but the seed # is still next to the name.

Longfrog

Gorzny will play in the boys doubles final tomorrow. He's playing with Georgia commit Alex Michelsen, who's the #1 ranked US player in next year's class. They won today's match over two Spaniards 6-7 (6), 6-2, 11-9. That 1st set was the first they've lost this week, and they were unlucky to lose it. At 6-6 in the tiebreak and with Michelsen serving, the Spaniards hit a net cord that just dribbled over. Then in the superbreaker the Spaniards were serving for the match at 9-7 when they double faulted. Gorzny made both his first serves and took both points, then they won his return point to win the match. I thought Gorzny was the best player on the court. Michelsen was poor in the 1st set. Once he started playing, they were clearly the better team. The two Spaniards each lost in the semis of singles play today too. Tough day.

Tomorrow they get a French team in the finals that features the #1 seed on the singles side, Debru. He just won the French Open but lost here in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Longfrog

Whoa I jinxed em! Down 40-0 in the return game, Gorzny/Michelsen win 5 straight points to break. 2 double faults in the mix. Now Gorzny serves for the title.