• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The new SEC and Big 10 are going to have zero undefeated champs. Huge brands near .500 and many brands below .500 plus some brands with 0 wins. Not sure the ratings they think they will get will show up. The big brands are popular because they win a lot. They need the cupcakes like Kansas, Baylor, etc. to have winning records. I think this will backfire big time.

The meat grinder of a schedule the amount of injuries will go way up. My fear is they will kill us left outs by allowing teams to have 150 person rosters. Can only transfer inside the Favored Invitational league. They will take all the talent for themselves and depth they will need. This sucks!
I am still trying to figure out where the money will come from to be doling out these rumored $100mil to each Program numbers. $2.2 billion in revenue paid out annually to the B1G? I know inflation is on the rise and all, but jeez...

Something doesn't add up.

Paul in uhh

The new SEC and Big 10 are going to have zero undefeated champs. Huge brands near .500 and many brands below .500 plus some brands with 0 wins. Not sure the ratings they think they will get will show up. The big brands are popular because they win a lot. They need the cupcakes like Kansas, Baylor, etc. to have winning records. I think this will backfire big time.

The meat grinder of a schedule the amount of injuries will go way up. My fear is they will kill us left outs by allowing teams to have 150 person rosters. Can only transfer inside the Favored Invitational league. They will take all the talent for themselves and depth they will need. This sucks!
Agreed with your first paragraph and not worried about your second as much.

You could take twelve alabamas and make ‘em round robin each other and someone would have to finish below 500.

Regarding the second point NIL and being in a “big” conference isn’t the only factor for recruits. Many talented kids will play for TCU because they want to start here rather than ride the pine for 2 years. They know they need exposure to get drafted and they’re not gonna sit 9th on a depth chart if they think they have nfl talent.

LVH

This is what worries me the most, is that non Big 10/SEC programs become farm systems for the Big 10/SEC schools. They will be able to match any NIL dollars, and it will be a chance to "play in the big leagues" as they will pitch it.

Also agree about roster expansions and no scholarship limits in the Big 10/SEC. No grade or academic requirements either.

Wexahu

This is what worries me the most, is that non Big 10/SEC programs become farm systems for the Big 10/SEC schools. They will be able to match any NIL dollars, and it will be a chance to "play in the big leagues" as they will pitch it.

Also agree about roster expansions and no scholarship limits in the Big 10/SEC. No grade or academic requirements either.
If somehow the free transfer rule goes away, then schools from the other leagues actually might have a puncher's chance. Not much of one at all, but a chance. That rule, much more than the money, is what has killed the sport for me.

The major programs are going to have a hell of a time dealing with all these prima-donnas. They always have, now its going to be way more of a circus now that they'll have a bunch of cash. But if they have a problem, instead of having to deal with it, they'll just get rid of him and replace him with someone else's player. No harm, no foul. They'll just buy their way out of their mistakes.

The team building/development aspect of the game is more or less gone, and for fans like me that was one of the most compelling things about the sport. Now it's a year to year thing where every team is just trying to buy a roster. Get rid of the free transfer rules and A LOT changes. I'm not holding out any hope.

WIN

If somehow the free transfer rule goes away, then schools from the other leagues actually might have a puncher's chance. Not much of one at all, but a chance. That rule, much more than the money, is what has killed the sport for me.

The major programs are going to have a hell of a time dealing with all these prima-donnas. They always have, now its going to be way more of a circus now that they'll have a bunch of cash. But if they have a problem, instead of having to deal with it, they'll just get rid of him and replace him with someone else's player. No harm, no foul. They'll just buy their way out of their mistakes.

The team building/development aspect of the game is more or less gone, and for fans like me that was one of the most compelling things about the sport. Now it's a year to year thing where every team is just trying to buy a roster. Get rid of the free transfer rules and A LOT changes. I'm not holding out any hope.

Guess I see it the other way around. The portal will be active with those from the big leagues looking for playing time.

Wexahu

Guess I see it the other way around. The portal will be active with those from the big leagues looking for playing time.
That's what people say, but we've had a bunch of kids transfer in from smaller schools that really made an impact. I'm sure I'm forgetting a kid or two, but I honestly can't remember getting a big school transfer who amounted to a hill of beans.

We're going to get kids they don't want. They are going to take kids from us that we'd like to keep.

Palliative Care

I agree the portal and the NIL are killing my response to the college game. But I doubt that they will go away any time soon as the most likely thing to happen next would be more legal action being filed to preserve them.

Palliative Care

Managing the portal and the NIL is paramount in order to find and keep talent. However, no amount of management will prevent misfortune at some point. Yes someone else's problem will be available. Taking a rider or a pass will be a decision that Dykes must make and I hope he does it well. If there is a serious need at a position, some may not choose wisely.

I have a nephew who now works as an NIL consultant to TCU. It is a wild scene out thereat times and it probably will always be to some extent. So Wexahu I agree with you (imagine that). But I do not see the portal or NIL changing anytime soon.

Bob Sugar

That's what people say, but we've had a bunch of kids transfer in from smaller schools that really made an impact. I'm sure I'm forgetting a kid or two, but I honestly can't remember getting a big school transfer who amounted to a hill of beans.

We're going to get kids they don't want. They are going to take kids from us that we'd like to keep.
The Nebraska Transfer was pretty good. Caught a tipped ball in Lubbock once.