• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

Endless Purple

I was hoping for a super league to break away two years ago. I want to get back to college football and let the big money teams go their own way. I expect they will fail in the long run. Yes, the college teams will see drops in income, but it should not be about spending hundreds of millions on perks for locker rooms and new stadiums every ten years. I like amateur athletics, not million athletes that I have nothing in common with.

Bizarro Frog

Would be interesting to see TCU and a combo of OK ST, Houston, Tech or others move to the ACC. Or another scenario is the BIG TEN not wanting to get locked out of the state of Texas and the Frogs get the call. DFW recruiting, DFW Airport and alumni base will a ton of money. Stranger things have happened. I was in a Belgian Beer Bar in Madrid trying to score some Westvleteren 12 when I got a text saying we were moving to the BIG 12.

NORMLFROG

Imagine if the Big 12 (8) without UT/OU were adding:
Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford
Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado

Instead of:
BYU, Cinci, Houston, and UCF.

Yikes.
Yeah, yikes but NOBODY had a crystal ball. NOBODY. No use Monday morning quarterbacking this. This move was secretive, quick and on a need to know basis.

NF

Froggish

Curious….Who’s more wounded as a confernce B12 with UT/OU leaving but a contingency plan with adders or the PAC with USC/UCLA leaving?

The drivers: A BIG EGO contest between the BIG and SEC, and ESPN and FOX who are all in on maximizing live sports viewership and its money.

The rest are left to be scrambled, and scrambled eggs is peasant food, no longer fit for the brunch of the elite.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Why do we think the Big 12 picks up the Pac? Could be the other way. Could be a new conference emerges.
Agree, they might pick up OSU, ISU, KU for BB, Tech for BB.

Baylor probably has more cache’ than we do right now, but not sure they’d wNt any church schools.

I’m not sure this is good news for us…

vicarfrog

So let's just keep on the positive side and work with the assumption that the Big 12 is stable.

What's more likely to happen?

Pac 16 implodes and we pick up some combination of the Arizonas, Utah, Colorado, Oregon?

OR

We stay where we are, and Pac 16 pulls our move and they pick up some combination of SDSU, UNLV, Boise State, or Fresno State?

Eight

So let's just keep on the positive side and work with the assumption that the Big 12 is stable.

What's more likely to happen?

Pac 16 implodes and we pick up some combination of the Arizonas, Utah, Colorado, Oregon?

OR

We stay where we are, and Pac 16 pulls our move and they pick up some combination of SDSU, UNLV, Boise State, or Fresno State?

fairly certain that stanford, cal, and boise state being in the same conference is mentioned near the end of revelations

vicarfrog

fairly certain that stanford, cal, and boise state being in the same conference is mentioned near the end of revelations

That's pre-millennial eschatology for you! So all along Og and Magog were Big 10 & SEC. ;)

But I'm A-millennial. The 2000 years is symbolic for the complete reign of the Gospel and the beasts and the battles are mythological symbols that point to our fight against the devil, the world, and our own flesh until Christ returns for the full consummation of the end.

Sorry...that's some nerdy pastor stuff going on there.

JogginFrog

good questions, the big key to answer either of those is we don't know what he did or did not know before this break and how long he has know it.
I'm assuming that TCU will have the option of being part of a regional conference (remains of the Big 12), and that key relationships for that are in place. So I would think about what else might be worth pursuing.

I'd be interested to know what Stanford has as its plan B. (Plan A is trying to hitch a ride with Cal if the Bears can successfully use legislators to tether themselves to UCLA. Could happen, and I think Stanford's strength in minor sports would appeal to the B1G.)

Then, I'd be trying to figure out what Notre Dame is thinking (probably time for them to go to B1G; they need a home for non-football sports).

Then, I'd try to learn the likelihood of Northwestern and Vandy being offloaded from the superconferences, and find out what Miami and Duke are looking at if the ACC is torn up.

All that to say, it could be worth exploring the idea of a national football-playing selective privates conference. Except for Notre Dame, it would have no big media audience even with presence in good markets, but from a recruiting standpoint, there will always be a group of athletes for which selective private schools have appeal, and running with that crowd would be good for TCU's academic reputation. A core of Notre Dame, Stanford, Miami, TCU, Vandy, Baylor & Duke would be exceptional in minor sports, salty in men's basketball, and solid in football. Could fill out with Northwestern, Wake or selective ACC state schools that would be homeless. I could see a group like that wanting to exit the arms race while still keeping a commitment to D1 sports excellence. And a slightly higher academic requirement could be installed across the board.

High travel costs, but you could set up pods to limit some of the travel--say, (Duke-Wake-UVa-UNC-Ga Tech-Miami) (TCU-Baylor-SMU-Vandy-Tulane-Rice) (Notre Dame-Northwestern-Stanford-Cal-Washington/Air Force/BYU).

Is that better than a Big 12 that adds some of the PAC leftovers? Probably not, but I would be having those conversations.