• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

Eight

Pac minus USC and UCLA seems roughly equal to the Big 12 minus UT and OU. Neither are on very solid ground relative to the other three conferences. Big 12 might have a slight edge just due to time zones I guess.

I wish we hadn't knee-jerked in to bringing in the G5 jamokes.

biggest difference is that it would pull out the single biggest media market in the pac.

population of oregon, utah, and washington is around 15 m which i would guess is less than socal.

the interesting one is ucla as i had been told by wife's family that the california legislature held a very tight reign on the schools in the california system

as far as uo and udub, the ducks are fueled by the money of one person and i am curious what happens to them when phil knight is gone and washington is run by academics who are still embarrassed by the scandal under james.

curious what the thoughts are among the rose bowl folks. they have been able to operate outside the system to some extent with the pac and big 10, but does that carry the same sway if this move happens

agree with the idea of go get the two arizonia's, utah and cu

TCU_91

Just a feeling… If they wanted more, they’d have added more now. One swing.
Andy Staples is on a podcast right now via his twitter, with others. Think it could be like the Big did before and added maryland, rutgers on different days. So they could add usc/ucla by 5 today, and oregon/washington tommorow.

Nothing they are discussing sounds good for us or the big xII.

HG73

I have been interested in this for months. USC has been screaming to leave and the B1G is negotiating their new TV deal right now. I bet the University of California system doesn't let UCLA go without CAL (#6 TV market). All who can will leave. And don't forget about ND.

Zubaz

The real question is how many teams do they cap this inevitable "Mega" League at.

I'd say there are 25 teams guaranteed to be a part of any mega league:

1. Alabama
  2. Texas
  3. Texas A&M
  4. Oregon
  5. USC
  6. UCLA
  7. Florida
  8. Florida State
  9. Clemson
  10. LSU
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Ohio State
  13. Michigan
  14. Georgia
  15. Arkansas
  16. Tennessee
  17. Penn State
  18. Iowa
  19. Wisconsin
  20. Notre Dame
  21. North Carolina
  22. Auburn
  23. Washington
  24. Nebraska
  25. Michigan State
So do they stop there at 25 or add more teams? I'd say the next teams in line would be: Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Minnesota, Miami, and Missouri.
If you were starting from scratch I could see this, but I think you're discounting the safety of being in one of the two safe conferences. Short of absolutely blowing everything up, which the SEC and B1G are unlikely to do, those schools are safe even if they wouldn't be in the Top 25 of a schoolyard pick. Vandy, for example, is locked in to the SEC. They aren't getting the boot, I don't think. Same for the Mississippi schools and Arkansas. Likewise in the B1G you have schools like Rutgers, Northwestern and Illinois that are "safe" despite not being first.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So many people have their heads in the sand.

When will you all realize - there will be a 24-32 mega conference that will split off to create their own division.

TCU nor any other current Big 12 team will be a part of it. Adding the Pac-12 leftovers (Oregon and Washigton will be in the mega conference) to the Big 12 leftovers will not change this fact.
Perhaps not. This would have been viable had there been a single Media entity in control of the process. But, it appears there are other bidders, and consolidation is unlikely when there is more than one guy throwing around money.

Even if the Football Unlimited Collegiate Conference with 32 teams comes to pass, there will still be plenty of schools out there still playing the game. Media companies will still be hungry for content. There will still be College Football, though perhaps less than what we once knew.

LVH

Andy Staples is on a podcast right now via his twitter, with others. Think it could be like the Big did before and added maryland, rutgers on different days. So they could add usc/ucla by 5 today, and oregon/washington tommorow.

Anyone who thinks Oregon and Washington will be left out to dry is stupid.

Oregon + Washington + UCLA + USC will bring the Big 10 to 18 teams. But this is all about positioning to kill off the smaller conferences, shed leagues like the ACC of dead weight like Wake Forest, and consolidate power among the top 25-40 teams and create their NFL lite league.

It's not good news for TCU or the Big 12.

Zubaz

biggest difference is that it would pull out the single biggest media market in the pac.

population of oregon, utah, and washington is around 15 m which i would guess is less than socal.
True, but we lost our two biggest contributors to our largest market too, that being OU and Texas in DFW. It's not like we can say with a straight face that TCU owns the DFW market or Houston owns Houston, right?

LVH

If you were starting from scratch I could see this, but I think you're discounting the safety of being in one of the two safe conferences. Short of absolutely blowing everything up, which the SEC and B1G are unlikely to do, those schools are safe even if they wouldn't be in the Top 25 of a schoolyard pick. Vandy, for example, is locked in to the SEC. They aren't getting the boot, I don't think. Same for the Mississippi schools and Arkansas. Likewise in the B1G you have schools like Rutgers, Northwestern and Illinois that are "safe" despite not being first.
In this case, I could see two 20 team leagues, the Big 10 and SEC. Big 10 adds Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington to get to 19 then adds one more team like Arizona State to get to 20.

SEC is at 16 now, they add Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, and Virginia.

ACC is dead. There is your 40 team NFL lite. Game, set, match.

Either way, something like this is happening. This is being done to set off the domino effect.

LVH

Perhaps not. This would have been viable had there been a single Media entity in control of the process. But, it appears there are other bidders, and consolidation is unlikely when there is more than one guy throwing around money.

Even if the Football Unlimited Collegiate Conference with 32 teams comes to pass, there will still be plenty of schools out there still playing the game. Media companies will still be hungry for content. There will still be College Football, though perhaps less than what we once knew.
Anything outside of the College Football MEGA League will be seen as minor leagues and will not be able to command a lot of money. All of the Saturday slots will go to the MEGA League. Get ready for playing on networks like CBS Sports and Versus on Wednesday Nights again.

If the teams NOT invited to this MEGA LEAGUE want to play hard ball, they need to use March Madness as leverage. That's the bargaining chip they have over the big schools. Use it.

Eight

True, but we lost our two biggest contributors to our largest market too, that being OU and Texas in DFW. It's not like we can say with a straight face that TCU owns the DFW market or Houston owns Houston, right?

no, but there is no reason for any pac exposure in those areas other than alums for schools that are over 300 miles away.

cal, stanford, the az schools are not exactly right next to socal so you don't have coaches out on a regular basis interacting, you are now #3 in the media market behind the pro sports, and the the two socal schools

HG73

This will be great for the Big12. Guts a big competitor. We pick up only the best of the leftovers to maximize our TV deal. Probably mountain teams but maybe a Stanford and/or Cal too. No more PAC, Big12 would be the undisputed #3 conference with a presence coast to coast and a much bigger TV deal than the ACC. Only 4 power leagues left.

LVH

This will be great for the Big12. Guts a big competitor. We pick up only the best of the leftovers to maximize our TV deal. Probably mountain teams but maybe a Stanford and/or Cal too. No more PAC, Big12 would be the undisputed #3 conference with a presence coast to coast and a much bigger TV deal than the ACC. Only 4 power leagues left.
When this is over there will be 2 power leagues max and we will not be a part of it. The only leftover Big 12 team with a chance to be a part of it is Kansas.

There will not be 4 power leagues. The ACC and Pac 12 will die as their best brands get picked off by the MEGA LEAGUE.

LVH

I just want to accelerate the inevitable, blow it all up. Let the SEC and Big 10 create their NFL minor league on Saturdays with unlimited spending on players and no academic requirements.

TCU isn't going to be able to compete for a title in the NIL free spending era anyway, let the NFL Minor League commence, let it fail miserably, maybe then I can see college football go back to normal in my lifetime. For now lets try to create a regional mid major league with regional rivalries with the likes of Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, SMU.