• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Just got a text back on this, this is being driven by Fox. Fox presented this idea back a few weeks ago as an idea to drive Big 10 network expansion and revenue, and juice returns on their upcoming tv deals… want to drive coast to coast all day ratings. This must have all come together VERY quickly.

Reminder, Fox now owns a controlling stake in the Big 10 via their network agreement and has substantial sway on conference decision making.
So, this sets up FOX in a rivalry position with ESPN. Interesting.

The PAC is dead if this comes to pass. We are slated to have 14 members as it is. How does the BIGXII poach when it is full?

Dman890

Just got a text back on this, this is being driven by Fox. Fox presented this idea back a few weeks ago as an idea to drive Big 10 network expansion and revenue, and juice returns on their upcoming tv deals… want to drive coast to coast all day ratings. This must have all come together VERY quickly.

Reminder, Fox now owns a controlling stake in the Big 10 via their network agreement and has substantial sway on conference decision making.
Wonder what Oregon is thinking?

Zubaz

The PAC is dead if this comes to pass. We are slated to have 14 members as it is. How does the BIGXII poach when it is full?
Pac minus USC and UCLA seems roughly equal to the Big 12 minus UT and OU. Neither are on very solid ground relative to the other three conferences. Big 12 might have a slight edge just due to time zones I guess.

I wish we hadn't knee-jerked in to bringing in the G5 jamokes.

Wexahu

I don't think there is any such thing as a "full" conference.

I don't think there's really such thing as a conference anymore. They are just TV network groupings at this point. Let's add 8 more teams. Why not 12 more? Who gives a crap anyway?

BrewingFrog

As an additional aside, remember the "negotiations" with Dixon and UCLA? They continually leaked things to the Media that were designed to destroy the relationship between TCU and Dixon. Meanwhile, Dixon and ADJD were open and frank with each other, and the caustic leaks from UCLA did not have the effects they intended.

FF to today. This has been leaked to the Media as a deal not yet consummated, but the simple fact that these two outfits are packing up to leave has lit the fuse on a Conference detonation. Accelerate events via strategic leaks...

BrewingFrog

I don't think there is any such thing as a "full" conference.

I don't think there's really such thing as a conference anymore. They are just TV network groupings at this point. Let's add 8 more teams. Why not 12 more? Who gives a crap anyway?
Well, yes. Why stop at 16?

LmpwZw

"I'm sorry Mr. ESPN. I'm sooo confused... Can you tell me what season it is?"

TCUdirtbag

Think they continue adding? Or is 16 the number?

y2kFrog

Do you think USC and UCLA might get what you might call “cold feet” about this move?

Attachments

• E4A6A4FD-6189-4CB3-96DD-94EF8BB28C34.jpeg
    E4A6A4FD-6189-4CB3-96DD-94EF8BB28C34.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

Pac minus USC and UCLA seems roughly equal to the Big 12 minus UT and OU. Neither are on very solid ground relative to the other three conferences. Big 12 might have a slight edge just due to time zones I guess.

I wish we hadn't knee-jerked in to bringing in the G5 jamokes.
Void their contracts and invites and let them come at us in court.

LVH

So many people have their heads in the sand.

When will you all realize - there will be a 24-32 mega conference that will split off to create their own division.

TCU nor any other current Big 12 team will be a part of it. Adding the Pac-12 leftovers (Oregon and Washigton will be in the mega conference) to the Big 12 leftovers will not change this fact.

LVH

Does the B1G go for 20 and try to add Duke, NC, Clemson, and FSU?
The real question is how many teams do they cap this inevitable "Mega" League at.

I'd say there are 25 teams guaranteed to be a part of any mega league:

1. Alabama
  2. Texas
  3. Texas A&M
  4. Oregon
  5. USC
  6. UCLA
  7. Florida
  8. Florida State
  9. Clemson
  10. LSU
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Ohio State
  13. Michigan
  14. Georgia
  15. Arkansas
  16. Tennessee
  17. Penn State
  18. Iowa
  19. Wisconsin
  20. Notre Dame
  21. North Carolina
  22. Auburn
  23. Washington
  24. Nebraska
  25. Michigan State
So do they stop there at 25 or add more teams? I'd say the next teams in line would be: Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Minnesota, Miami, and Missouri.