• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: TCU and Sonny Dykes aren’t starting from scratch in life after Gary Patterson

Eight

I just want to hear more about these talking lockers…

forgot the exact price tag but the new lockers for texas cost a bit over 10K per locker

they don't actually have a waterfall like some, but mensa could only get so much done with that sledge

gofor2

The Athletic: TCU and Sonny Dykes aren’t starting from scratch in life after Gary Patterson

By Max Olson

FORT WORTH — Sonny Dykes knows how long it takes. This is the fourth time he has taken over a college football program and made their defense worse after his arrival.

The challenge at Louisiana Tech was finding a defense. At Cal, it was finding a defense. SMU was finding a defense and trying to beat a team with a winning record. All that experience and context is helpful for Dykes as he sizes up his sure-to-be-[ Finebaum ] defense.

Read more at https://theathletic.com/3359457/2022/06/15/tcu-football-schedule-roster-sonny-dykes/

FIFY

Endless Purple

What did you fix?
"The challenge at Louisiana Tech was finding a defense. At Cal, it was finding a defense. SMU was finding a defense and trying to beat a team with a winning record. All that experience and context is helpful for Dykes as he sizes up his sure-to-be-[ #2020 ] defense."

Thinks he is being cool or something by changing a paragraph in the article.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
"The challenge at Louisiana Tech was finding a defense. At Cal, it was finding a defense. SMU was finding a defense and trying to beat a team with a winning record. All that experience and context is helpful for Dykes as he sizes up his sure-to-be-[ #2020 ] defense."

Thinks he is being cool or something by changing a paragraph in the article.
We’re through, being cool.

Cue the Devo music……

Spike

As head coach Gary inherited a 10-2 team. As an assistant he inherited a mess for sure.
Pretty sure there was a massive graduating class, like 28 seniors maybe, that left when Franchione did. Pretty sure Fran know this was a 3 year deal from day 1. To make matters worse Fran left the O in pretty late into the blowout games whereas GP liked to rotate a lot of players so for GP's first year the D was way ahead of the O.

Spike

for starters, the owls were a conference peer of the frogs back in the wac days or have you conveniently forgotten that matter? that was one of the schools the frogs had to beat not ou or texas and they weren't going against the power 5 schools for recruits

tcu in 1998-2000 had a winning record overall, won 2/3 of their conference games, tied for first in the conference in 1999 and 2000 and went to back to back bowls for the first time in 40 years

please remind me which of the frogs conference peers in 2001 when gary took over had talking lockers, staffed barbershops in the players lounge, mid 8 figure budgets, and damn near as many support staff and analysts as players on scholarships

tcu had become THE program in their conference in 2001.

yes, sonny has better facilities, support, and resources available than gary in 2001 but he also faces stiffer competition for players and the expectations are much greater today
Rice was competitive then under Goldsmith? I think that was his name. Not sure why they let him go. They had 1 good year under Todd Graham who immediately bolted for Tulsa of all places. Don't think the Owls have been competitive since. Whatever happed to the poster Rick Gerlach?

Eight

Rice was competitive then under Goldsmith? I think that was his name. Not sure why they let him go. They had 1 good year under Todd Graham who immediately bolted for Tulsa of all places. Don't think the Owls have been competitive since. Whatever happed to the poster Rick Gerlach?

hatfield was their coach when they left the swc and had a few winning seasons, but most of the time they were at or below .500

graham took over for one year and they won, but i have heard from multiple coaches that todd graham is one of the worst human beings they have ever encountered

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Fred Goldsmith was 14-24 in conference and 23-31-1 over all.

Spike

It seems like we used to have several "Rick" posters here. At least one passed away (can't recall but maybe it was ricksterh or something like that). It was always hard for me to keep straight who all of the Ricks were. I hope Gerlach is well but have not seen him here for a few years.
Ricksterh was Rick Hosea who was a TCU grad and super good guy. I believe he lived in the Rio Grand Valley. He did pass away a few years ago. He had season tix but would give them away. Would make like 1 baseball and football game a year. Miss that guy.

Gerlach was a Rice grad and a baseball fan back when Wayne Graham was only 112 and Rice was still ahead of TCU and a much younger Jim Schlossnagle. He was always good for some baseball talk.

Spike

I think it was Hatfield but my memory fades. I remember them beating us a few times back then.

hatfield was their coach when they left the swc and had a few winning seasons, but most of the time they were at or below .500

graham took over for one year and they won, but i have heard from multiple coaches that todd graham is one of the worst human beings they have ever encountered

Heard similar stories about Graham. Seems to win but never can stay in same place for very long.

Rabidfrog

The #1 thing that caught my eye was the comparison between TCU & KSU after their long-time coaches GP & BS left. The attitude of a very strict disciplinarian to a players’ coach was interesting for sure.

I am curious to see how we respond to adversity. The last few years I saw GP’s teams do something I had never seen before: tune him out & flat out quit at times.

I also enjoyed reading about what the assistant coaches said. When was the last time we saw the OC & DC get quoted in the same article?

Wow. The times really are changing.
quite agree. GP lost the series with both KSU and ISU, plus WVA. --all middle of the pack schools, historically. I knew then it was time for a change. Some of those game were close, especially with KSU and could have gone our way, but in a ten year span, you cannot afford to lose those series.

Spike

quite agree. GP lost the series with both KSU and ISU, plus WVA. --all middle of the pack schools, historically. I knew then it was time for a change. Some of those game were close, especially with KSU and could have gone our way, but in a ten year span, you cannot afford to lose those series.
It helps when you don't have 2 #2s on the field at the same time.