• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Is Big 12 in danger? Chuck Neinas, man who once saved conference, gives his take

And you know how there is even the middle class spectrum?

Secure middle class - Lives in a respectable 2 story house in a one of the new neighborhoods with an excellent school system
Solid middle class - Lives in more of an older neighborhood, but respectable house and school system
Lower middle class - Out of the apartment but in a tired neighborhood with a declining school system.

After reading "Gary's Shirtless Revenge" comments from other posts, I feel good that the Big 12 = secure middle class, ACC = solid middle class, & PAC 16 = lower middle class.
Not quite that much spread between the three, all pretty comparable.

westoverhillbilly

Good article...

Former Chancellor of the UT System Bill Cunningham stated years later in his auto-biography that the SEC didn't really want Arkansas but thought that bringing them in would force UT to follow after the 1991-92 school year. He further stated that the SEC powerbrokers told him that they were very disappointed that they were stuck with a decent at that time Arkansas without UT.. Arkansas has just gotten worse in the last 30 years.

Regarding Nebraska paying players then, an employee of ours had a daughter who dated a highly recruited player who signed with TCU in that great 1981 surprise class who said Nebraska outbid TCU ( who offered $30,000 cash and a car) but the kid took a little less money to stay closer to home. This was when FA Dry convinced some alums to get into the moneyball game in a much bigger way. TCU can swing a very outsized bat for its size in this space- that is why I think NIL, being in a great city and the portal will work greatly to TCU's advantage as opposed to the rural/small market schools. I can see us being included in a 12 team playoff on a semi-regular basis.

Eight

Good article...

Former Chancellor of the UT System Bill Cunningham stated years later in his auto-biography that the SEC didn't really want Arkansas but thought that bringing them in would force UT to follow after the 1991-92 school year. He further stated that the SEC powerbrokers told him that they were very disappointed that they were stuck with a decent at that time Arkansas without UT.. Arkansas has just gotten worse in the last 30 years.

Regarding Nebraska paying players then, an employee of ours had a daughter who dated a highly recruited player who signed with TCU in that great 1981 surprise class who said Nebraska outbid TCU ( who offered $30,000 cash and a car) but the kid took a little less money to stay closer to home. This was when FA Dry convinced some alums to get into the moneyball game in a much bigger way. TCU can swing a very outsized bat for its size in this space- that is why I think NIL, being in a great city and the portal will work greatly to TCU's advantage as opposed to the rural/small market schools. I can see us being included in a 12 team playoff on a semi-regular basis.

cunningham was also ready to bolt for the pac and leave the rest of the swc to be left of their own

agree things haven't gotten better for arkansas overall, but they made a move and had they no the story doesn't end any better for them so they made the right decision to jump when they have the chance to jump

HG73

And you know how there is even the middle class spectrum?

Secure middle class - Lives in a respectable 2 story house in a one of the new neighborhoods with an excellent school system
Solid middle class - Lives in more of an older neighborhood, but respectable house and school system
Lower middle class - Out of the apartment but in a tired neighborhood with a declining school system.

After reading "Gary's Shirtless Revenge" comments from other posts, I feel good that the Big 12 = secure middle class, ACC = solid middle class, & PAC 16 = lower middle class.
Well, part of the lower middle class PAC is about to be annexed by B1G. USC has to get a better TV deal than the PAC can provide. If the B1G commish was still Jim Delaney this deal would already be done. The 2, 6, 11, 12 and 16th biggest TV markets are out west. If the B1G took Rutgers and Maryland for the TV markets then of course they will take USC, UCLA, CAL, OREGON, WASHINGTON, COLORADO and an Arizona team. Or 4 from that group. Should be some solid teams left for the Big12 to poach, possibly all four mtn teams and maybe a Cali team. After that the Big12 will be a solid #3 of only 4 power leagues.

Eight

Well, part of the lower middle class PAC is about to be annexed by B1G. USC has to get a better TV deal than the PAC can provide. If the B1G commish was still Jim Delaney this deal would already be done. The 2, 6, 11, 12 and 16th biggest TV markets are out west. If the B1G took Rutgers and Maryland for the TV markets then of course they will take USC, UCLA, CAL, OREGON, WASHINGTON, COLORADO and an Arizona team. Or 4 from that group. Should be some solid teams left for the Big12 to poach, possibly all four mtn teams and maybe a Cali team. After that the Big12 will be a solid #3 of only 4 power leagues.

two times zones away is a very, very big jump and washington isn't leaving the pac

HG73

two times zones away is a very, very big jump and washington isn't leaving the pac
Please elaborate on UW. They'll make literally twice as much (I could certainly use an additional $50mil). And 3-5 of their PAC buddies will be making that. If one goes (and USC is dying to go) then the rest will be begging to go.

Eight

Please elaborate on UW. They'll make literally twice as much (I could certainly use an additional $50mil). And 3-5 of their PAC buddies will be making that. If one goes (and USC is dying to go) then the rest will be begging to go.

first, the cal state schools aren't leaving the pac. if you think the texas legislature has sway the cal legislature has them by the balls

second, washington still believes it is academics first and athletics next. the powers that be there are resistant to fund athletics at a competitive level at it is and god forebid you same saying like winning is important

Froglaw

Sherrington's great, one of the last "old-school" sports writers still around who sets out to inform and entertain, rather than just try to gin up clicks with HSTs. A writer who leaves you feeling a bit smarter, rather than wishing you had the time back you spent on reading it. Wish our FW rag still had some (or even one) of those.

In 1999 the Frogs began to roll. Sherrington called them the Horned Frauds.

I called the Dallas Morning News and cancelled my subscription.

I don’t believe I’ve bought a copy since then.

HG73

first, the cal state schools aren't leaving the pac. if you think the texas legislature has sway the cal legislature has them by the balls

second, washington still believes it is academics first and athletics next. the powers that be there are resistant to fund athletics at a competitive level at it is and god forebid you same saying like winning is important
Thanks for elaborating. So, Cal and UCLA won't be going anywhere. Apparently UW won't either, but USC is dying to get to the B1G. And the B1G sees those huge TV markets. They'll get #2 LA, #6 SF with Stanford, and for sure Oregon at #21. Arizona at #11 and Colorado at #16 would also be in play. An additional $50mil is hard to ignore. Throw in ND and the B1G will be done.
Big question is how many defections will it take for the PAC to fold and the remaining teams poached? Losing a couple of teams will probably just mean they backfill with Big12 teams. Losing 4 teams probably means the end.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

You mean Skip Brainless wasn't enough?

HornyWartyToad

That was the common wisdom back then. He's written many, many more complimentary pieces in the years since. If you're only going to stick with writers who are TCU sunshine-pumpers, Gil has a great deal for you on a subscription service.

helcap

By the way, Chuck gets my vote for new Big12 commissioner. I don't care how old he is.
512Sbdma3sL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Frog-O-Rama

Thanks for elaborating. So, Cal and UCLA won't be going anywhere. Apparently UW won't either, but USC is dying to get to the B1G. And the B1G sees those huge TV markets. They'll get #2 LA, #6 SF with Stanford, and for sure Oregon at #21. Arizona at #11 and Colorado at #16 would also be in play. An additional $50mil is hard to ignore. Throw in ND and the B1G will be done.
Big question is how many defections will it take for the PAC to fold and the remaining teams poached? Losing a couple of teams will probably just mean they backfill with Big12 teams. Losing 4 teams probably means the end.
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. Tucson? I have no idea. Feel they would go for ASU over Arizona.

HG73

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. Tucson? I have no idea. Feel they would go for ASU over Arizona.
I pulled those TV market numbers right off the internet. I think academics would put UA ahead of ASU. B1G pretends to care about crap like that. Either way the B1G probably won't ignore the 15th largest city/11th largest TV market.

Long Time Lurker

I pulled those TV market numbers right off the internet. I think academics would put UA ahead of ASU. B1G pretends to care about crap like that. Either way the B1G probably won't ignore the 15th largest city/11th largest TV market.
They are ranked about 6 slots away from each other by US News. UA is tied for 103 with about 15 schools and ASU is 117.