• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

It was a matter of time before a streaming service picked up a sports league. I routinely watch MLS matches on ESPN but will watch none on Apple TV+ (unless they air during the single month I sign up to binge S3 of Ted Lasso).

Fewer eyeballs on the product but doubling the $$$ makes sense.
This is exactly my mentality. I've watched more MLS matches the last couple years than the previous 20 combined. I'm not adding another streaming service just for MLS. I have enough other things to watch. It was great being able to watch FCD matches in English while it lasted, though.

Purp

This is one of the most CONCACAF games I’ve seen in a while. I suggest you pass on watching it….although if you want to see a mud bath game, this is it.

Horrible pitch. Horrible play. Horrible calls. An ejection for the USA while down 1-0.

Just a normal Tuesday night in CONCACAF.
And now an ejection for El Salvador….a REALLY normal CONCACAF night.
Typical CONCACAF road performance for us. I take nothing from it beyond best as I can tell nobody got hurt. Highlight for me was Arriola getting sent off so I didn’t have to see him anymore. Low point was Morris scoring and perhaps earning more looks.
I only caught the last 40+ minutes. Had a softball double header last night that ran late. I'd originally planned to watch the first half, but after getting home and seeing the pitch with my wife watching I decided that would be a waste of time.
@Chongo94 my first thought was that the pitch was in worse shape than it was in Trinidad when we famously and improbably didn't qualify. Most of the countries in our region are so destitute this is an unfortunate norm for competitive road games. If more top European players had to play competitively in CONCACAF I bet a lot of them wouldn't do it to protect their bodies for their clubs. Eventually, as our kids become more important to their huge European sides, I won't be shocked if we start seeing some key guys pass on these types of matches in the future. Add in the ridiculous officiating (Arriola was an excessively harsh red, Adams probably should have been a red, missed hand ball in the box, generally poor handling of a hotly contested match, etc.), no VAR b/c most countries are too poor to support it, and the octagon nature of a CONCACAF road fixture and you've got a really nasty night for some very expensive players.

The only thing I liked better than seeing Arriola go off was Musah take over for large spurts in the 2nd half. To be able to dribble through lines like that with such conviction on a perfect pitch is impressive. To do it on that pig slop, in those conditions, with guys trying to hack his feet off during the entire slalom run just blows my mind. It takes extraordinary vision, speed, touch, and balance to do that in perfect conditions. We've seen flashes from him like that at previous times, but not as sustained as it was last night and certainly in better conditions. He really took over the game by himself. Nobody else on the pitch was anywhere near his level. That excites me a lot.

Also, as disappointed as I was that Morris scored that one (agree with you completely @Moose Stuff ; I was shouting at the TV when Berhalter sent him on for Weah and still think it was a dumb move), I was more impressed with the ball in from Luca to create that chance. He was the 2nd best player on the pitch after he came on. The more I see of him the more I like him. Our central midfield is becoming very deep and very talented. If Tillman continues to develop in that role and Aaronson gets squeezed off of the wings b/c of Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah we could realistically have 5 guys competing for the 2 spots occupied by McKennie and Musah. Who has that much quality depth in the center of the park?

I wish there was another window this summer to get some competitive matches in, but between corona darning up the fixture list for the last 2 years for both club and international competitions and the decision by a corrupt FIFA to host the WC in a darning desert necessitating a move to the winter it would be stupid to try to squeeze more games in. These players need a longer break than they're going to get as it is.

Chongo94

I only caught the last 40+ minutes. Had a softball double header last night that ran late. I'd originally planned to watch the first half, but after getting home and seeing the pitch with my wife watching I decided that would be a waste of time.
@Chongo94 my first thought was that the pitch was in worse shape than it was in Trinidad when we famously and improbably didn't qualify. Most of the countries in our region are so destitute this is an unfortunate norm for competitive road games. If more top European players had to play competitively in CONCACAF I bet a lot of them wouldn't do it to protect their bodies for their clubs. Eventually, as our kids become more important to their huge European sides, I won't be shocked if we start seeing some key guys pass on these types of matches in the future. Add in the ridiculous officiating (Arriola was an excessively harsh red, Adams probably should have been a red, missed hand ball in the box, generally poor handling of a hotly contested match, etc.), no VAR b/c most countries are too poor to support it, and the octagon nature of a CONCACAF road fixture and you've got a really nasty night for some very expensive players.

The only thing I liked better than seeing Arriola go off was Musah take over for large spurts in the 2nd half. To be able to dribble through lines like that with such conviction on a perfect pitch is impressive. To do it on that pig slop, in those conditions, with guys trying to hack his feet off during the entire slalom run just blows my mind. It takes extraordinary vision, speed, touch, and balance to do that in perfect conditions. We've seen flashes from him like that at previous times, but not as sustained as it was last night and certainly in better conditions. He really took over the game by himself. Nobody else on the pitch was anywhere near his level. That excites me a lot.

Also, as disappointed as I was that Morris scored that one (agree with you completely @Moose Stuff ; I was shouting at the TV when Berhalter sent him on for Weah and still think it was a dumb move), I was more impressed with the ball in from Luca to create that chance. He was the 2nd best player on the pitch after he came on. The more I see of him the more I like him. Our central midfield is becoming very deep and very talented. If Tillman continues to develop in that role and Aaronson gets squeezed off of the wings b/c of Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah we could realistically have 5 guys competing for the 2 spots occupied by McKennie and Musah. Who has that much quality depth in the center of the park?

I wish there was another window this summer to get some competitive matches in, but between corona darning up the fixture list for the last 2 years for both club and international competitions and the decision by a corrupt FIFA to host the WC in a darning desert necessitating a move to the winter it would be stupid to try to squeeze more games in. These players need a longer break than they're going to get as it is.
Completely agree regarding the pitch and players. It was sort of a fun watch condition wise but that’s about it. I think you’re right that as the players grow in ability and stature, some will say no to certain games. Australia has had this happen to them at times.

By the way, you mentioned the officiating, that’s our representative to the World Cup ha.

Musah is a must start for me lately.

Moose Stuff

Who is this Reyna character you speak of?

Purp

This requires an ESPN+ account, but it's a fascinating read. Short version, ARob (Jedi) has been our most valuable player the last 2 years.

My own assessment after reading is that, if he can ever nail down that final delivery into the box he might be one of the best left backs on the planet.

Purp

any thoughts on the announcement of the hosts cities for 2026?
I think SoFi in LA is an iffy choice. I've read the field isn't wide enough for a World Cup pitch. Gonna be interesting to see how they crack that nut. Rose Bowl seems like a better choice for me.

Purp

can see it now, world cup final comes down to pk's and is decided when the losing keeper losses the deciding shot in the sun
I bet that game will be at night anyway. Gonna be a fun time to be in the area though. Hosting a WC final is really cool.

Eight

I think SoFi in LA is an iffy choice. I've read the field isn't wide enough for a World Cup pitch. Gonna be interesting to see how they crack that nut. Rose Bowl seems like a better choice for me.

agree on the rose bowl as it is a great field, great view, can handle the large crowd

only things it doesn't have are the suites and the high tech fluff that matters to fifa

Purp

problem there is 7 pm in dallas is really, really early in europe, africa etc..
After checking it appears most recent WC finals are played on a Sunday afternoon in the host country. Russia was the latest I found at 4pm local. Brazil was 2:30pm local, and South Africa at 1:30pm local. I remembered the 2006 WC was a night game because I was there for 10 days during group play and followed it closely after I got home. I also remember South Korea was a night game b/c we did so well there and got bent over by bad luck and bad officiating against Germany so I followed that one closely through the end also.

Based on that I have no idea what time they'll pick. You may be right that they'll pick a time convenient for European viewership.

dawg

I bet that game will be at night anyway. Gonna be a fun time to be in the area though. Hosting a WC final is really cool.
problem there is 7 pm in dallas is really, really early in europe, africa etc..
It seems likely the Final will kickoff at 2-ish CST. That puts it right in prime time for most of Europe

FWIW, here are some recent Final kick times:
- 2018 (Russia) 10:00am CST (6:00pm Moscow)
- 2014 (Brazil) 2:00pm CST (4:00pm Rio)
- 2010 (South Africa) 1:30 CST (8:30pm Jo-berg)
- 2006 (Germany) 1:30 CST (8:30pm Berlin)
I read that Arlington is hosting a semifinal and the final.
According to this article, FIFA haven't made final decisions on where the opener or Final will take place. Rumors are MetLife or the Deathstar. You know Jerrah is going to do everything he can to get the world's marquee sporting event in his baby.

As for the locations... Sort of surprised the Rose Bowl didn't make the cut; there is no US sporting venue better than the Rose Bowl (I freely admit the events of Jan 1, 2011 may impact that thought). Then again it seems they went mostly for new stadiums with their host of suites and club seating options.
Yup. No way LA wasn't getting selected to host, but Kroenke is going to have to really rejig it to get a WC pitch in there.

As for the MNT... I could see their group matches in Seattle, KC, and Atl. Thoughts?

dawg

After checking it appears most recent WC finals are played on a Sunday afternoon in the host country. Russia was the latest I found at 4pm local. Brazil was 2:30pm local, and South Africa at 1:30pm local. I remembered the 2006 WC was a night game because I was there for 10 days during group play and followed it closely after I got home. I also remember South Korea was a night game b/c we did so well there and got bent over by bad luck and bad officiating against Germany so I followed that one closely through the end also.

Based on that I have no idea what time they'll pick. You may be right that they'll pick a time convenient for European viewership.
A 2am kick and I watched every minute. In Spanish on Univison. Scared the crap out of my house when I started screaming at a near goal... that one still irks me. We had a semi within easy reach. The officiating in that match was bad, not as bad as Italy-S Korea. Italians are still pissed about that one.