• The KillerFrogs

The Game 4 Thread of Potential Elimination...

TCUdirtbag

Very hard to work the portal for private schools in baseball because of the tuition discrepancy. Schloss worked the transfer portal for the Aggies very well. I doubt that any of those players could afford TCU tuition. Very tough for private schools to recruit for baseball. Don't think that's going to change. Unfortunate for us
As has been discussed not all private schools are created equal in this regard. Rice, Vandy, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern (perhaps USC and Tulane) all have endowments so large that their financial aid system is quite different in a way that allows them to be more creative. TCU, Miami, Wake, BC, and a few others have a shared challenge in baseball and other partial scholarship sports.

Pharm Frog

Very hard to work the portal for private schools in baseball because of the tuition discrepancy. Schloss worked the transfer portal for the Aggies very well. I doubt that any of those players could afford TCU tuition. Very tough for private schools to recruit for baseball. Don't think that's going to change. Unfortunate for us
Would think it would be easier to work the portal for a player only expecting to be here 1-2 years than a HS player thinking 3-4-5 years when price tag is the big consideration.

Ron Swanson

Very hard to work the portal for private schools in baseball because of the tuition discrepancy…. Very tough for private schools to recruit for baseball. Don't think that's going to change. Unfortunate for us
Wasn’t there some scholarship limit rule change coming into effect in the coming years that is supposed to make it so this is no longer an issue?

froglash88

I thought it was posted that NIL $$ was going to help with this. Didn’t someone post that some generous boosters are going to use NIL $$ to offset the private school tuition issue that we have dealt with in the past?

Pharm Frog

I thought it was posted that NIL $$ was going to help with this. Didn’t someone post that some generous boosters are going to use NIL $$ to offset the private school tuition issue that we have dealt with in the past?
Yes. BUT…if you could pay less and get more wouldn’t you do it? It’s not like our recruiting adversaries aren’t participating in NIL. We better be real thankful for the generous boosters or that disparity would be prohibitively nasty.

PurpleBlood87

I think Haylen Green would have been a better option than River.

Other than the KSU game he was pretty solid last year.

2021 (COVID Senior)
Made a team-leading 25 appearances on the season... registered 12 saves on the season... team was 18-7 in games he pitched... fanned 55 batters and issued just five walks in 48 2/3 innings pitched... posted a 3.33 ERA... allowed just three of 30 inherited runners to score... held opponents scoreless in 14 of 25 appearances... struck out five and allowed two unearned runs over 3 2/3 innings in season debut against Ole Miss (Feb. 20)... gave up two runs on two hits in 2/3 of an inning against Arkansas (Feb. 22)... picked up the win with 4 1/3 scoreless innings against Liberty (Feb. 26)... retired both batters faced against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (March 5)... gave up three runs on five hits and struck out three over three innings against Sam Houston State (March 7)... earned first save of the season retiring all six batters faced with four strikeouts at UTSA (March 10)... tossed three scoreless frames for save No. 2 against Gonzaga (March 13).... took the loss after allowing two unearned runs over 2 2/3 innings against the Bulldogs (March 14)... save No. 3 came at Louisiana (March 21)... struck out five and allowed an unearned run over four innings against the Ragin' Cajuns... gave up an unearned run in 2 1/3 innings against Baylor (March 26) to earn save No. 4... tossed 1 2/3 scoreless frames for the save at UT Arlington (March 30)... save No. 6 came at Oklahoma (April 2)... tossed scoreless innings at Oklahoma (April 4), at Tarleton State (April 6) and at Texas Tech (April 9)... struck out three over 1 2/3 innings to pick up save No. 7 against Tarleton State (April 13)... earned eighth save in a win over Oklahoma State (April 16)... tossed two scoreless innings and struck out three against Kansas (April 25)... save No. 9 came against Texas (May 8) as he tossed 1 2/3 scoreless frames... picked up 10th save in the win over ULM (May 15)... struck out two of five batters faced for save No. 11 at Kansas State (May 21).... took the loss after allowing seven runs at Kansas State (May 22)... earned save No. 12 in a win over Texas Tech (May 28) in the Big 12 Tournament... tossed two scoreless innings and struck out three in the championship game against Oklahoma State (May 30)... allowed a run on a hit in the NCAA Fort Worth Regional against Oregon State (June 6).

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I think Haylen Green would have been a better option than River.

Other than the KSU game he was pretty solid last year.

2021 (COVID Senior)
Made a team-leading 25 appearances on the season... registered 12 saves on the season... team was 18-7 in games he pitched... fanned 55 batters and issued just five walks in 48 2/3 innings pitched... posted a 3.33 ERA... allowed just three of 30 inherited runners to score... held opponents scoreless in 14 of 25 appearances... struck out five and allowed two unearned runs over 3 2/3 innings in season debut against Ole Miss (Feb. 20)... gave up two runs on two hits in 2/3 of an inning against Arkansas (Feb. 22)... picked up the win with 4 1/3 scoreless innings against Liberty (Feb. 26)... retired both batters faced against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (March 5)... gave up three runs on five hits and struck out three over three innings against Sam Houston State (March 7)... earned first save of the season retiring all six batters faced with four strikeouts at UTSA (March 10)... tossed three scoreless frames for save No. 2 against Gonzaga (March 13).... took the loss after allowing two unearned runs over 2 2/3 innings against the Bulldogs (March 14)... save No. 3 came at Louisiana (March 21)... struck out five and allowed an unearned run over four innings against the Ragin' Cajuns... gave up an unearned run in 2 1/3 innings against Baylor (March 26) to earn save No. 4... tossed 1 2/3 scoreless frames for the save at UT Arlington (March 30)... save No. 6 came at Oklahoma (April 2)... tossed scoreless innings at Oklahoma (April 4), at Tarleton State (April 6) and at Texas Tech (April 9)... struck out three over 1 2/3 innings to pick up save No. 7 against Tarleton State (April 13)... earned eighth save in a win over Oklahoma State (April 16)... tossed two scoreless innings and struck out three against Kansas (April 25)... save No. 9 came against Texas (May 8) as he tossed 1 2/3 scoreless frames... picked up 10th save in the win over ULM (May 15)... struck out two of five batters faced for save No. 11 at Kansas State (May 21).... took the loss after allowing seven runs at Kansas State (May 22)... earned save No. 12 in a win over Texas Tech (May 28) in the Big 12 Tournament... tossed two scoreless innings and struck out three in the championship game against Oklahoma State (May 30)... allowed a run on a hit in the NCAA Fort Worth Regional against Oregon State (June 6).
I would have gone with Ferrell if I was picking names from the past. Or Teakell, Trieglaff, or Guillory. But Hayden would have been an option except that he’d have never got an edge call from that blue. Personally, I was hoping to see Perez once River needlessly grooved that 0-2 that nearly got Sacco decapitated.

Wish there was some more from Frogball this year. It's a long wait until kickoff because I'm not that big of an MLB fan anymore (maybe because the Rangers are no factor.)

Congrats to Frogs on the Big 12 regular season championship and a good baseball season. Let's upgrade the roster and kick some boo-tay next year.

Sacco leaves a big hole. But I like what we have coming back with a weekend rotation (possibly) of Krob, Brown and Perez and Cornelio midweek??? Address that bullpen, KS! We'll figure it out.

Rangers are 5.5 out of the wild card and the way LAA is going they'll be in 2nd place by Juneteenth.

I would have gone with Ferrell if I was picking names from the past. Or Teakell, Trieglaff, or Guillory. But Hayden would have been an option except that he’d have never got an edge call from that blue. Personally, I was hoping to see Perez once River needlessly grooved that 0-2 that nearly got Sacco decapitated.

At least he would have thrown strikes. Dude could throw some meat but at least he wasn't walking guys. Would have rather see them pound hit after hit than a couple walks, a bloop, another walk and a blast.