• The KillerFrogs

According to Ohio State a QB is

Toad Jones

Last evening Ohio State AD told boosters they need 15 million a year to keep its players with NIL.
According to them a QB is worth two million and a running back is worth 1 million. Possibly that puts DL/OL in the 700,000. 00 dollar range and drop down from there.

In two years when this thing has settled down, a more reasonable dollar amount will be had. So why in two years?

Tell me how this is sustainable on a yearly bases plus donate to the athletic dept to keep up with the Jones on upgrading facilities plus...plus..plus. You gotta throw salaries in there two.

He's right, except about the part where things settle down. That isn't going to happen.

The cost of a top-tier D1 football roster now/in the near future is going to be roughly $10-20 million a year, basketball will be $5-10 million, baseball in the several million range (with a WAY higher variance between SEC and, for instance, AAC).

Overall, you will see top-tier athletics programs paying athletes ~$30 million-plus a year, easy... And yes, in time, the universities are going to take this back from the alums, schools are already tired of the current system. The university IS a collective, in its own way, and you will just be asked to contribute annually to, for instance, the TCU Frog Club, to help fund these player-specific investments.

HG73

He's right, except about the part where things settle down. That isn't going to happen.

The cost of a top-tier D1 football roster now/in the near future is going to be roughly $10-20 million a year, basketball will be $5-10 million, baseball in the several million range (with a WAY higher variance between SEC and, for instance, AAC).

Overall, you will see top-tier athletics programs paying athletes ~$30 million-plus a year, easy... And yes, in time, the universities are going to take this back from the alums, schools are already tired of the current system. The university IS a collective, in its own way, and you will just be asked to contribute annually to, for instance, the TCU Frog Club, to help fund these player-specific investments.
I guess at that point ($30mil annual payroll) the athletic department would have no chance of ever contributing any money back to the university. It would be a separate entity. Would players even be required to pursue a degree?

4 Oaks Frog

Man this is ripe for a new cottage industry…NIL Tax Accountants. These kids are not going to know what hit em once Uncle Sam shows up with both hands outstretched. When all of their money is spent on cars and cool-aid, Uncle Sam ain’t going to give a [ Finebaum ]. Like a protection man in Jersey, he is still gona want is scheissing money…
Enter the NIL Tax Accountants with their shelters and loopholes. Life is So sweet to a college ath-leet…
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Pharm Frog

They can ask to their heart’s content….. And nice use of the word “investments”.

I guess at that point ($30mil annual payroll) the athletic department would have no chance of ever contributing any money back to the university. It would be a separate entity. Would players even be required to pursue a degree?
Very, very few actually have positive cash flow and contribute to the university, most break even or lose money on a cash basis. The accounting gets very wonky though because large chunks of "athletics revenue" comes from donations, which the University likes to keep on its scorecard.

Current thinking is that yes, there will still be an "academic component" to college athletics... You'll come to school under a contract, but I imagine the degree options will become much more varied and far less rigorous. I view this as a net positive, as some kids need to learn more basic life skills vs. forcing them into a degree program.

Pharm Frog

Very, very few actually have positive cash flow and contribute to the university, most break even or lose money on a cash basis. The accounting gets very wonky though because large chunks of "athletics revenue" comes from donations, which the University likes to keep on its scorecard.

Current thinking is that yes, there will still be an "academic component" to college athletics... You'll come to school under a contract, but I imagine the degree options will become much more varied and far less rigorous. I view this as a net positive, as some kids need to learn more basic life skills vs. forcing them into a degree program.
I agree with you and they shouldn’t be given that opportunity in institutions of “higher” education. In fact, if they haven’t gotten that “basic life skill” stuff under their belt in high school, let some other entity enter the market but not higher “education”.

Paul in uhh

I like the perhaps utopian idea that there are dozens, or more, programs that can compete for national titles, and dozens more that can make an impact every few years.

NIL seems to be rapidly reducing that pool

westoverhillbilly

Enter the NIL Tax Accountants with their shelters and loopholes. Life is So sweet to a college ath-leet…

Tax shelters and loopholes are pretty difficult to find and legally implement- I've looked pretty hard since the tax law changes of 1986 and have so far been unsuccessful. Fortunately for the TCU kids, the Neeley folks are close at hand (inside the Scholl/Justin Ctr) to assist these kids and keep them on the straight and narrow- at least hopefully.

4 Oaks Frog

Tax shelters and loopholes are pretty difficult to find and legally implement- I've looked pretty hard since the tax law changes of 1986 and have so far been unsuccessful. Fortunately for the TCU kids, the Neeley folks are close at hand (inside the Scholl/Justin Ctr) to assist these kids and keep them on the straight and narrow- at least hopefully.
Wondering…Who employs these kids. Are they contract laborers, or are they employees of the athletic department? If the latter, payroll taxes, social security and Medicare be collected. The school must contribute to their unemployment taxes and more.
Oh yeah…if they are injured on the job and can’t work, do they get workman’s comp?
What happens if they are cut, can they file for unemployment?
Is the hot shot QB getting earning $2mill a year going to stay on scholarship and get a free (yes, free education because he is otherwise being compensated with D Nair’O now), or are they going to pay for their education like the rest of the unwashed?
God! I miss college football!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!

ECM

It’s shocking to me that the NCAA was dumb enough to throw open the doors of the transfer portal and NIL with no foresight or guidelines whatsoever. Actually, it’s not shocking at all.