• The KillerFrogs

Baseball Coaching Change

Sangria Wine

There’s a lot of baseball left to play this year, but what a first year for Saarloos and for Schlossnagle.

Several folks reached out to me after all the changes last year and I made the same remarks to all of them. I truly believed that this would be the very rare occasion where BOTH programs were better off with the change when it was all said and done.

I wasn’t sure if the evidence would be there in year one, but it’s hard not to feel like both programs are in a fresh, good place now with fantastic head coaches and staffs leading their programs. Here’s to getting a regional host spot this year!!!

Pharm Frog

There’s a lot of baseball left to play this year, but what a first year for Saarloos and for Schlossnagle.

Several folks reached out to me after all the changes last year and I made the same remarks to all of them. I truly believed that this would be the very rare occasion where BOTH programs were better off with the change when it was all said and done.

I wasn’t sure if the evidence would be there in year one, but it’s hard not to feel like both programs are in a fresh, good place now with fantastic head coaches and staffs leading their programs. Here’s to getting a regional host spot this year!!!
There was so much in play last year. Here’s my 2 cents:

Childress needed to leave CS
Schloss needed to leave FTW
KS needed a chance somewhere.

All three things were gonna happen.

Pharm Frog

Did anyone really say that KS was a bad hire OR was their criticism of the “process”? I know I criticized the “process” and FWIW I’m not prepared to evaluate great v good v bad hire on one year of result.

Chieves

Did anyone really say that KS was a bad hire OR was their criticism of the “process”? I know I criticized the “process” and FWIW I’m not prepared to evaluate great v good v bad hire on one year of result.

Fair point that a good hire isn't decided in year 1. Otherwise Saban would be an abject failure and Summon would be a hall of fame GOAT.

I know I've been frustrated with this team, but at the same team injuries have been a bear and I'm honestly not sure how much of this is holdover from Schloss being checked out in those final two years. It doesn't make sense that a conference champ team is a rebuild... but it just may be that way.

Recruiting will be huge, and that has historically been a strength for KS which bodes well. Hopefully the baseball landscape evens out a little bit, because as much as I hate to say the SEC is scary loaded this year while the B12 seems down. Tennessee is absolutely horrifying at the moment.

Pharm Frog

Fair point that a good hire isn't decided in year 1. Otherwise Saban would be an abject failure and Summon would be a hall of fame GOAT.

I know I've been frustrated with this team, but at the same team injuries have been a bear and I'm honestly not sure how much of this is holdover from Schloss being checked out in those final two years. It doesn't make sense that a conference champ team is a rebuild... but it just may be that way.

Recruiting will be huge, and that has historically been a strength for KS which bodes well. Hopefully the baseball landscape evens out a little bit, because as much as I hate to say the SEC is scary loaded this year while the B12 seems down. Tennessee is absolutely horrifying at the moment.
Virtually every team has to battle through injuries….some of the season-ending variety. I don’t see the SEC regressing much given NIL and MLBs reduction of minor leagues and draft.

While I’m really happy about winning the regular season title, this isn’t how I ultimately judge the quality of a baseball team. Two games separate 6 teams…glad the Frogs came out on top but success comes in the postseason and hopeful this team can do more than last year’s team.