• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

I wasn’t wrong. An absolutely pathetic and gutless non-performance. Sadly not surprising.
Exactly. Same here. I always find it funny when non-Arsenal people try to tell me there’s still a chance, other teams may drop points, etc…..we know this team and it’s continued PTSD issues.

Never doubted for a minute we wouldn’t show up today.
Magpies! I couldn't watch, but it looks like Ben White was healthy enough to score for the wrong team. Weird week for him.

The only reason I could tell you it wasn't over is because Spurs fans know all too well the long history of let-downs as well. I fully expected us to go Spursy and blow that Burnley game. Burnley were hot coming in winning 3 of 4 and they were playing for EPL survival. That's not the type of side you want to face with a group trying to buck a long history of failures. Fortunately for us you got a recently hot Newcastle club and a Toffees side in the boat right next to Burnley trying to avoid relegation. I think you're right that odds are heavily in our favor now. Hopefully next year you can supplant City or Chelsea in the top 4.

Chongo94

Magpies! I couldn't watch, but it looks like Ben White was healthy enough to score for the wrong team. Weird week for him.

The only reason I could tell you it wasn't over is because Spurs fans know all too well the long history of let-downs as well. I fully expected us to go Spursy and blow that Burnley game. Burnley were hot coming in winning 3 of 4 and they were playing for EPL survival. That's not the type of side you want to face with a group trying to buck a long history of failures. Fortunately for us you got a recently hot Newcastle club and a Toffees side in the boat right next to Burnley trying to avoid relegation. I think you're right that odds are heavily in our favor now. Hopefully next year you can supplant City or Chelsea in the top 4.
It wasn’t even close today so you didn’t miss anything. Newcastle played Arsenal off the pitch, they pretty much dominated things actually.

Chongo94

This happened earlier in today’s Championship playoff match with Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United. Fan headbutts Billy Sharp out of nowhere.

Purp

This happened earlier in today’s Championship playoff match with Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United. Fan headbutts Billy Sharp out of nowhere.

I watched that last night when I went to bed. Awesome match and VERY testy. The ref was a regular EPL ref and he let an awful lot go that he shouldn't have.

Sheffield went down 3-1 on aggregate in the first half and started getting extra physical. At one point the Sheffield manager picked up a ball out of bounds and gave it to the Forest player to throw it in except it wasn't a gentle hand off. Instead he jammed it into his gut with all the force he could muster. That started a melee between both benches and finally ended with only a single yellow card to the manager. There was no VAR available otherwise he'd have surely been sent off. After that it got even more physical and the refs did a horrible job keeping it in check. There easily could have been a red card to each side in the 2nd half and only one of those offenses even drew a yellow.

The match ended up going to penalties to settle the tie and determine who would play for the promotion at Wembley. The Forest keeper save 3 of 4 shots against him (2 were spectacular saves and not even his 2 best of the match) to decide it. Afterward the fans descended on the pitch to celebrate like it was a college football game rushing the field after a huge upset.

Forest fans have been relegated below the Premiership for decades and now they're 90 minutes away from restoring themselves to where they were for nearly a century prior. I guarantee you there was some liquid courage involved in that attack, but also a healthy dose of genuine hatred after the way that match played out paired with decades of pent up frustration. I'm not making an excuse for the behavior; just trying to add some context to the short snippet of video.

I had a boss about 15 years ago who was a big Nottingham Forest supporter growing up, but gave up caring after the EPL got corporatized and clubs like Forest with tons of history were left in a place where they couldn't realistically compete. I worked for him again about 5 years ago and he still couldn't care less about English football. I texted him this morning about that match. Still nothing yet.

Anyway, I've been following them ever since Gareth told me about them (and I read about them briefly in a book called Soccernomics around the same time period) and really paid attention to their rise the last few years. This season was especially fascinating as they were near relegation early on this campaign before changing managers to achieve this success. I hope they can pull off promotion against Huddersfield.

Chongo94

I watched that last night when I went to bed. Awesome match and VERY testy. The ref was a regular EPL ref and he let an awful lot go that he shouldn't have.

Sheffield went down 3-1 on aggregate in the first half and started getting extra physical. At one point the Sheffield manager picked up a ball out of bounds and gave it to the Forest player to throw it in except it wasn't a gentle hand off. Instead he jammed it into his gut with all the force he could muster. That started a melee between both benches and finally ended with only a single yellow card to the manager. There was no VAR available otherwise he'd have surely been sent off. After that it got even more physical and the refs did a horrible job keeping it in check. There easily could have been a red card to each side in the 2nd half and only one of those offenses even drew a yellow.

The match ended up going to penalties to settle the tie and determine who would play for the promotion at Wembley. The Forest keeper save 3 of 4 shots against him (2 were spectacular saves and not even his 2 best of the match) to decide it. Afterward the fans descended on the pitch to celebrate like it was a college football game rushing the field after a huge upset.

Forest fans have been relegated below the Premiership for decades and now they're 90 minutes away from restoring themselves to where they were for nearly a century prior. I guarantee you there was some liquid courage involved in that attack, but also a healthy dose of genuine hatred after the way that match played out paired with decades of pent up frustration. I'm not making an excuse for the behavior; just trying to add some context to the short snippet of video.

I had a boss about 15 years ago who was a big Nottingham Forest supporter growing up, but gave up caring after the EPL got corporatized and clubs like Forest with tons of history were left in a place where they couldn't realistically compete. I worked for him again about 5 years ago and he still couldn't care less about English football. I texted him this morning about that match. Still nothing yet.

Anyway, I've been following them ever since Gareth told me about them (and I read about them briefly in a book called Soccernomics around the same time period) and really paid attention to their rise the last few years. This season was especially fascinating as they were near relegation early on this campaign before changing managers to achieve this success. I hope they can pull off promotion against Huddersfield.
Apparently, aside from charging this guy with assault and banning him for life, they are investigating a Sheffield player that stomped on a fan at some point during all of this.

Purp

Apparently, aside from charging this guy with assault and banning him for life, they are investigating a Sheffield player that stomped on a fan at some point during all of this.
Like I said, it was a really contentious clash. Seemed like lots of bad blood between both sides.

Purp

What do you all think of this change?
I like it for the most part. I like the elimination of country protection earlier. Anything to help reduce the potential for match-ups like Liverpool v City in the UCL final. I'm not sure I like the effective bye for top seeded teams, but I do believe there are way too many games for these top players so the teams most likely to go deeper getting a few less games early is probably good for keeping top players healthy for league games.