• The KillerFrogs

two interesting comments from steve avila

Eight

promise i will stop this topfrog, last time, but when i read the first two answers from steve avila it put a huge spotlight on a few things about how the program had fallen behind others in all areas of player development. from 247:

How he would describe differences from this spring camp…

“Well first thing I can touch on is the change of nutrition and how that affects our bodies; I feel like that gives us a lot more energy to do what we want to do. Yeah, we practice in the morning, but I feel like that extra breakfast that we get, the water that we drink, I feel like will translate over when it gets hot outside so I feel like that's just one big change that we had that I wish we had you know back then.”

Is there more accountability…

“For sure, our strength coach the first thing you did when we came in here was having emphasis on discipline and it was tough to swallow because you know we didn't really have a lot of that before, but now you know you see guys being held accountable, no one is scared to get on to someone and that was good to see as a player as someone that has been here for five years. It’s nice to see that change.”

jeremy has been killing it this spring with these interviews and for those who want to drive more traffic to the "front page" of this site see exhibit A.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hey let’s not hire kaz because baylro
Yeah, because he's the only guy on Planet Earth who has figured this stuff out.

Thank you for bringing that up, BTW. I had forgotten all about that stink of Rape U. on our payroll. Now the smell wafts out again...

nrhfrog

One thing that has really been a surprise to me is how many of the players talk about the discipline and accountability with the new coaching staff. I always thought GP was Mr. Tough Guy with his team....and therefore, there would be a lot of discipline on the team. He was constantly screaming at his players and some of his coaches on the sidelines. It seems like it had really gotten bad the last few years too as he had no voice after the games. It was kind of funny the first couple of times he lost his voice, but then it became an indicator he was a non-stop screaming machine.

Players and coaches have been very careful not to criticize GP (which is the appropriate way to handle this transition), but reading between the lines, it is apparent that there was some weird stuff going on behind the scenes. Not sure we'll ever know, but the environment appeared to have turned toxic over the last few years.

I will always give credit to GP for making TCU Football relevant and very competitive again. That said, Dykes has brought a refreshingly positive vibe to the environment. Obviously, wins and losses will ultimately determine if this works out, but at this point I think we have reason to be optimistic.

Froggy Style

Bad managers sometimes manage via intimidation, not good processes. Usually ends with everyone leaving.

Once transfer rule was removed, his gig was up.

Bob Sugar

One thing that has really been a surprise to me is how many of the players talk about the discipline and accountability with the new coaching staff. I always thought GP was Mr. Tough Guy with his team....and therefore, there would be a lot of discipline on the team. He was constantly screaming at his players and some of his coaches on the sidelines. It seems like it had really gotten bad the last few years too as he had no voice after the games. It was kind of funny the first couple of times he lost his voice, but then it became an indicator he was a non-stop screaming machine.

Players and coaches have been very careful not to criticize GP (which is the appropriate way to handle this transition), but reading between the lines, it is apparent that there was some weird stuff going on behind the scenes. Not sure we'll ever know, but the environment appeared to have turned toxic over the last few years.

I will always give credit to GP for making TCU Football relevant and very competitive again. That said, Dykes has brought a refreshingly positive vibe to the environment. Obviously, wins and losses will ultimately determine if this works out, but at this point I think we have reason to be optimistic.
Meh, The guy was the Defensive Coordinator yelling at payers across the field in a crowded stadium for 3+ hours. Its not like he lost his voice screaming at people on the sideline.

FrogCop19

I see the same thing. I truly believe that once we started recruiting the kids that DIDN'T have a chip on their shoulder, the ones that had all the starsies, the entitled ones, he didn't know how to handle it. Who knows, maybe he overcorrected and gave them too much leash. That definitely seems to have been the case with ZE, as I can't even imagine him tolerating anyone from the past tapping out after 16 carries and ever getting to see the field again. Not only that, but he defended him in the media, I'm guessing in a blatant attempt to "be on his side" so he wouldn't bolt for a bigger program, by saying Texas shouldn't have run Bijon 30 times in a game.

Guess that didn't work out so well for him...

mdono

I see the same thing. I truly believe that once we started recruiting the kids that DIDN'T have a chip on their shoulder, the ones that had all the starsies, the entitled ones, he didn't know how to handle it. Who knows, maybe he overcorrected and gave them too much leash. That definitely seems to have been the case with ZE, as I can't even imagine him tolerating anyone from the past tapping out after 16 carries and ever getting to see the field again. Not only that, but he defended him in the media, I'm guessing in a blatant attempt to "be on his side" so he wouldn't bolt for a bigger program, by saying Texas shouldn't have run Bijon 30 times in a game.

Palliative Care

Actually I don't think any back should run it 30 times a game unless you do not care about what it is doing to that player. I do not disagree with any of the other commits. The era changed and Patterson could not adapt.

bronco

As someone said in an earlier post we will never know everything. The Zach Evans saga is really intriguing. Did he have a carry limit? Did he quit after the Tech game? Was there ever a chance he was staying past last year?

Also the lack of injuries is very telling. GP took us to heights I could have never imagined but the last few years were pretty bad and always being the youngest team in the country got old.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As someone said in an earlier post we will never know everything. The Zach Evans saga is really intriguing. Did he have a carry limit? Did he quit after the Tech game? Was there ever a chance he was staying past last year?
Yes, yes, and no.

Eight

this is the line that really got me:

"no one is scared to get on to someone and that was good to see as a player as someone that has been here for five years. It’s nice to see that change.”

now why would a player or staff be scared to say something to another player?

Last edited:

Wexahu

Appeared to have turned toxic? One only had to watch the effort in about 2/3 of the games last year to know that the environment was without a doubt toxic.

I think we discarded some major rotten apples but time will tell.