• The KillerFrogs

LT and Boo

asleep003

I watched Bulaich from the stands at TCU. No one in the college game that I have ever seen, not even Earl Campbell, could blow up a linebacker or safety like he could.
Before a Thursday nite Oiler/Steelers game, a friend of mine's brother, on the Pittsburg staff(equipment), said that Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert had said he was going to take out the rookie Campbell, who had just completed 3 games in row of 100+ yards.

After the game, Steeler All Pro George Webster/Jack Ham were laughing, while pointing their fingers at Lambert's stomach, where Earl had left his cleat marks, lol! Just have a feeling, if Earl was doing this to an All Pro LB, then he was doing a huge amount of it at UT.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I watched Bulaich from the stands at TCU. No one in the college game that I have ever seen, not even Earl Campbell, could blow up a linebacker or safety like he could.
Early in the season. Seems like every year he would pull a hammy or something early in the conference season and that was it. Sad, really. But that is my recollection...maybe my memory is hazy.

asleep003

No telling what kinda Pro career Norm could have had, without his persistant injuries. He was way way to bulked up at TCU for the times.

Dogfrog

Early in the season. Seems like every year he would pull a hammy or something early in the conference season and that was it. Sad, really. But that is my recollection...maybe my memory is hazy.
Yea, somebody mentioned that to him Saturday. He laughed and said he never really got to play until he got to the NFL.

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

The NFL trainers knew that he was so muscular that he needed to swim to stretch his muscles out to prevent injury. That worked - the rest is history. His brother Larry was a tough player too!

nrhfrog

I lived two doors down from Norm and his family in Hurst for about 7 years. First time I put up our TCU flag on game day, he stopped to chat.
At that time, I didn't even know he was almost my next door neighbor. He and his wife are super nice people. I was (and still am) a total nobody, but he is always friendly whenever I see him. He always teases me that we left the neighborhood because our family was bringing down the home values on our street....LOL. Btw, he was in tremendous shape back then...really took great care of himself. Still does.

asleep003

Someone told me it was all God given too, never lifted weights. Hard to believe, but more than one person said he was just a freak.
Yes he was a freak... they obviously never saw him in person ... a few years after pro ball, he looked much more normal; couldn't believe it was him.
Yea, somebody mentioned that to him Saturday. He laughed and said he never really go to play until he got to the NFL.
And injuries still plagued him in the Pros too... averaging 336 yards p/yr over a 10 year career. Just a crying shame !!

froginaustin

Before a Thursday nite Oiler/Steelers game, a friend of mine's brother, on the Pittsburg staff(equipment), said that Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert had said he was going to take out the rookie Campbell, who had just completed 3 games in row of 100+ yards.

After the game, Steeler All Pro George Webster/Jack Ham were laughing, while pointing their fingers at Lambert's stomach, where Earl had left his cleat marks, lol! Just have a feeling, if Earl was doing this to an All Pro LB, then he was doing a huge amount of it at UT.

Yes, Earl certainly was. That doesn't change my opinion about Norm (when he was healthy enough to play, of course).