• The KillerFrogs

ESPN 2022 football power index

Frog-in-law1995

You’ll never guess which 5-7 team from 2021 shows up at #6.

Number scheissing 6.

Frogs at 42.

Incidentally, OU 8, OK State 13, Aggies 14, Baylor 19, Iowa State 27, Kansas State 39, Tech 48, WVU 52.

CardFrog

Completely agree, the only thing that sux is if you lose a game when your ranked high (a deserved ranking or not) you don't typically spiral down to 50 but if you are not ranked and lose that same game you could end up 50 have a lot of wood to chop to get back in top 20 and to a decent bowl game....only reason why pre-season rankings matter. There are probably other reasons too....

Nick Danger

This ESPN ranking doesn't make much sense. They're saying that we are only going to have three conference wins this Fall (Tech, West Virginia, and Kansas)! Even if we win all of our out-of-conference games, that puts us at 6-6 (which is mediocre), and only an incremental improvement over last year . . . even with a number of well-thought-of Portal additions (ranked as high as 10th in the country just a week ago), and all the positive reports coming out of spring practices (which they apparently don't read)!?

But if they really believe that, why are they (ESPN) bothering to broadcast our Spring Game, for like the first time EVER!?

Normally, that is a relative honor bestowed on more "high profile" programs, or those programs that are expecting a break-out season in the Fall, or that have some sort of compelling story to tell. As far as I can tell, ESPN can't believe that a mediocre 6-6 team headed for the First Responder Bowl would meet any of those criteria! Exactly what sort of story line could they put forth during the broadcasted Spring Game of a mediocre 6-6 team?

Again, if they really believe that!

I tell ya Bobby Earl, that just don't make no sense!
:confused:

Last edited:

Nick Danger

For those interested, here's a link to more info on these Spring Games. ESPN will be offering over 70 hours of such games, undoubtedly in response to the expansion of their streaming services and conference channels. Those things require a lot of content. It does look like TCU and UT are the only two Big-12 schools being so honored!

It also looks like the TCU broadcast will be produced "in house" as it's the only one that doesn't have any ESPN announcing crew listed. Just don't know how many will actually get to see it! Maybe some of these lazy and clueless Big-12 media types, that think we'll only win three conference games will catch part of it!

ESPN Spring Games

Last edited:

jack the frog

This ESPN ranking doesn't make much sense. They're saying that we are only going to have three conference wins this Fall (Tech, West Virginia, and Kansas)! Even if we win all of our out-of-conference games, that puts us at 6-6 (which is mediocre), and only an incremental improvement over last year . . . even with a number of well-thought-of Portal additions (ranked as high as 10th just a week ago), and all the positive reports coming out of spring practices (which they apparently don't read)!?

But if they really believe that, why are they (ESPN) bothering to broadcast our Spring Game, for like the first time EVER!?

Normally, that is a relative honor bestowed on more "high profile" programs, or those programs that are expecting a break-out season in the Fall, or that have some sort of compelling story to tell. As far as I can tell, ESPN can't believe that a mediocre 6-6 team headed for the First Responder Bowl would meet any of those criteria! Exactly what sort of story line could they put forth during the broadcasted Spring Game of a mediocre 6-6 team?

Again, if they really believe that!

I tell ya Bobby Earl, that just don't make no sense!
:confused:

If 6-6 is the number during this transition year I will be happy as long as I see effort, excitement, kids not quitting, all with a coach that hasn't gone full Colonel Kurtz. Baby steps for a year one transition.

Froggish

I can tell you that TCU was such a statistical outlier in 2021 that most predictive analytics aren’t going to know how to treat us. We finished 123 in the country in Total Defense which was at least in part from a player revolt. It certainly wasn’t the norm for this program yet the data is treating it at face value. FPI and most stat based predictions weights heavily returning production and performance. The data doesn’t account for unusual circumstances such as players quitting on a staff, injuries to key players, and a coach getting fired.

I for one am quite confident that the team from the last couple years was not true representation of our talent level but rather a reflection of the toxic environment within the program. With healthy locker room and a fresh scheme we should win most of the games where we have a clear talent advantage. OU/UT have clear talent advantages and Bay/OkSt are similar. Everyone else on the calendar we clearly outclass. Even with toe stump I see us at 7 wins with potential for 9

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

You’ll never guess which 5-7 team from 2021 shows up at #6.

Number scheissing 6.

Frogs at 42.

Incidentally, OU 8, OK State 13, Aggies 14, Baylor 19, Iowa State 27, Kansas State 39, Tech 48, WVU 52.
Don't you realize that the 'horns are gonna have an AWSOME DEFENSE in '22 with their new better D coaching. That alone justifies their #6.

Nevermind...vomit!

asleep003

I can tell you that TCU was such a statistical outlier in 2021 that most predictive analytics aren’t going to know how to treat us. We finished 123 in the country in Total Defense which was at least in part from a player revolt. It certainly wasn’t the norm for this program yet the data is treating it at face value. FPI and most stat based predictions ways heavily returning production and performance. The data doesn’t account for unusual circumstances such as players quitting on a staff, injuries to key players, and a coach getting fired.

I for one am quite confident that the team from the last couple years was not true representation of our talent level but rather a reflection of the toxic environment within the program. With healthy locker room and a fresh scheme we should win most of the games where we have a clear talent advantage. OU/UT have clear talent advantages and Bay/OkSt are similar. Everyone else on the calendar we clearly outclass. Even with toe stump I see us at 7 wins with potential for 9
Copy dat !!

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

If 6-6 is the number during this transition year I will be happy as long as I see effort, excitement, kids not quitting, all with a coach that hasn't gone full Colonel Kurtz. Baby steps for a year one transition.
I'd agree but I think the most relevant thing as to record is to go 5-4 in the B12 (semi-perfect storm with wins vs. OU, UT, BU and TT.) (and NOT lose to KU!)

But "if" we go 5-4 B12 then we go 8-4, right? (Could we slip @Colorado and @SMU? I hope not!)