• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Injuries for Mexico as well.
Our C team beat them in the GC with most of their A team. It's not impossible with their injuries and reduced crowd size, but we'll need a huge performance from someone.

I feel okay with our defense. Horvath has been in solid form recently at Forest and Steffen is outstanding if healthy. His inclusion indicates he must be. If Dest is out our defensive ability probably improves on the right side with Cannon or Yedlin, but we're less potent offensively. Center back is going to be solid with 3 guys there I really trust and ARob will lock down the left side. With Adams in front of them I could see us keeping them scoreless.

The problem is that I can see them keeping us scoreless also. Musah will need to dominate the center of the park. I hope de la Torre gets the nod to replace McKennie bc that's not Acosta's role. I don't expect to see a full 90 from Gio, but maybe a solid 30+ minutes from him in all 3 matches.

I have a feeling our goals are going to have to come from the wings bc I'm not sure which striker is going to threaten their D. Pulisic is in solid form right now and Gio is rounding into form. Maybe an ARob strike breaks through from distance or an incisive run from CP10, Aaronson, or Gio from the wings can create the goal we'll need. But maybe Pepi in that venue gets the motivation he needs to get back in the groove. That would be special.

I feel like a draw at Azteca is as good as a win and should give us enough to get through the window and qualify. A win guarantees it, but a draw is pretty damn close.

Purp

Interesting comment at the end about Gio possibly being an option off the bench to fill into McKennie's role. About a year ago I remember hoping to see Gio or Pulisic in an advanced center midfield role in front of McKennie. It just seems like a waste to limit your best talent to one half of the pitch. But I had those thoughts before Musah was committed.

Now seeing the 4-3-3 Berhalter seems to prefer I think Reyna and Musah could be very dynamic in the last half hour in front of Adams. That also frees up a wing spot to get Weah/Aaronson (one starting and one as a sub) on the pitch opposite Pulisic.

Chongo94

Brendan Aaronson was apparently injured today with “knee issues” of some sort.

This potential golden generation seems to be a bunch of walking wounded 85% of the time sadly.

Purp

Brendan Aaronson was apparently injured today with “knee issues” of some sort.

This potential golden generation seems to be a bunch of walking wounded 85% of the time sadly.
Apparently in pregame warm-ups. Hopefully it's a minor injury since it didn't happen during a game. But sometimes non-contact injuries (especially in the knee area) are the worst ones to get.

Moose Stuff

What’s everyone going with tonight? I haven’t been nervous about this window until I woke up today. I’m clinging to my belief that this group is wired right and will find a way. I’m going with a 0-0 draw tonight, a nerve wracking 2-1 win over Panama, and a meaningless (for us)
1-0 loss at CR. 4 points. Qatar here we come.

Morado Muerte

What’s everyone going with tonight? I haven’t been nervous about this window until I woke up today. I’m clinging to my belief that this group is wired right and will find a way. I’m going with a 0-0 draw tonight, a nerve wracking 2-1 win over Panama, and a meaningless (for us)

I hate it, but going with a 2-1 loss tonight, but winning the next two matches 1-0 and 2-1 at CR. It's going to be a long week.

Purp

I was feeling a 0-0 draw tonight too until I just saw the Italy result. Now I'm skurred. We both missed the last WC and then we both won our confederation trophy last year. I've said it a few times that we seem to be following Italy like we share the same destiny. That was great last summer, but now I'm getting an eerie feeling about it all.

dawg

scheiss LLLa Tri. Now and forever and unto ages of ages Amen. Clinching a WC berth in Azteca would rank in the top 5 MNT results of my lifetime.

That said…We’re down a few key players. LLLa Tri will engage in epic [ Finebaum ]housery and the ref will probably allow them to get away with it A draw would be a great result, but a 1-2 loss is the more probable outcome. Really, really, hope I’m wrong and the lads play the match of their lives tonight.

Moose Stuff

I was feeling a 0-0 draw tonight too until I just saw the Italy result. Now I'm skurred. We both missed the last WC and then we both won our confederation trophy last year. I've said it a few times that we seem to be following Italy like we share the same destiny. That was great last summer, but now I'm getting an eerie feeling about it all.
That Italy loss is an absolute stunner.