• The KillerFrogs

Why Does UT’s $34 Million Head Coach Need a “Special Assistant”?

mgsouthpaw

hate to break it to y’all - he was fired - any other explanation requires the willful suspension of disbelief. only in academia and higher ed could people try to frame it as something else - but this thread involves both so no one should be surprised.

Next thing u know people here will say men are women - oh wait…!

Last edited:

West Coast Johnny

I don't think this is going to work for the Horns. Patterson was hands-on, in your face, and actually ran some of the defensive drills which is rare for a head coach. He won't be doing the things that he's good at UT.

FrogBall09

How about greeting and thanking the seniors in the tunnel? Didn't seem like a guy who was fired.
When the “organization” told me I didn’t need to get on the bus because they were not renewing my contract - I still thanked my manager, pitching coach, etc and said goodbye to my now former teammates- they didnt fire me

But I damn sure was fired

Last edited:

Brog

When the “organization” told me I didn’t need to get on the bus because they were not renewing my contract - I still thanked my manager, pitching coach, etc and said goodbye to my now former teammates- they didnt fire me

You found a clever way to boast that you once were a pro, had a contract, etc. Good work. Can you give us more details?

Peacefrog

Degenerate

If the manager asked you to change positions or they no longer had a spot for you but you declined to change positions, did you quit or get fired?

Dogfrog

If the manager asked you to change positions or they no longer had a spot for you but you declined to change positions, did you quit or get fired?
If I understood correctly it was not football people he was meeting with. So when a couple pencil neck administrators call you in and say here’s some changes you need to make to your program, and you say no, then they say.. well if you don’t agree to hang around in some ambassador role we have no option but to let you go… they are letting you go. Anybody who thinks GP was going to accept that is a fool. Having said all that it was definitely time for him to go.

FrogBall09

You found a clever way to boast that you once were a pro, had a contract, etc. Good work. Can you give us more details?
I was barely a pro and never made it past my minor league contract, which is a common story that many Frogs before me and through the most recent group can boast - so not much to brag about. Moose and few others on this board actually had/have careers in the game.

The point I was making is I was never told "you are fired" like Trump on The Apprentice - I got the "we have decided to make a change" version, but I was still fired.

Last edited:

FrogBall09

that is not what happened with GP - what BS fantasy are you trying to make up? that they offered him a job at TCU to move into? what position was this supposed move - AD? Chancellor? Chairman of the BoT? Grand Poobah? HC of the triathlon team?

he was fired as our HC - I am not sure why anyone would even debate that concept.

FrogBall09

If I understood correctly it was not football people he was meeting with. So when a couple pencil neck administrators call you in and say here’s some changes you need to make to your program, and you say no, then they say.. well if you don’t agree to hang around in some ambassador role we have no option but to let you go… they are letting you go. Anybody who thinks GP was going to accept that is a fool. Having said all that it was definitely time for him to go.
And to your point - the ambassador discussion was not a job offer - it didn't even have a salary discussion involved - it was based on the idea that he was going to "retire" and be around FtW anyway, so he could come shake hands, kiss babies and sign autographs while people tried on his Rose Bowl ring.

That isn't a job offer - that is an alternative to being a greeter at Walmart

Peacefrog

Degenerate
But there isn’t a “football person” to have that talk with him. He was the top of the football heap. People give mandates to employees regularly. They can be accepted or not. If they are reasonable mandates and you choose to give the finger then you are firing yourself. Were we supposed to hire a football person to tell Gary that he wasn’t cutting it while continuing down the path he refuses to leave? Hell, 95 percent of us dummies on this bird could see that.

It’s all semantics. Football needed a change. Gary wasn’t going to change. Gary had to go. How he got there isn’t really that important but simply saying he was fired isn’t telling the whole story.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
that is not what happened with GP - what BS fantasy are you trying to make up? that they offered him a job at TCU to move into? what position was this supposed move - AD? Chancellor? Chairman of the BoT? Grand Poobah? HC of the triathlon team?

he was fired as our HC - I am not sure why anyone would even debate that concept.
It’s pointless to discuss this with someone so angry and unwilling to listen. I was making a metaphor. It’s not an exact science. Good lord this is stupid.

Mr baseball guy wins. There is no nuance to the way Patterson’s time here ended. We live in a binary world.

FrogBall09

But there isn’t a “football person” to have that talk with him. He was the top of the football heap. People give mandates to employees regularly. They can be accepted or not. If they are reasonable mandates and you choose to give the finger then you are firing yourself. Were we supposed to hire a football person to tell Gary that he wasn’t cutting it while continuing down the path he refuses to leave? Hell, 95 percent of us dummies on this bird could see that.

It’s all semantics. Football needed a change. Gary wasn’t going to change. Gary had to go. How he got there isn’t really that important but simply saying he was fired isn’t telling the whole story.
you win - that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If a CEO gets told you can stay but you will be the mailroom guy - he got fired.
In reality if a Exec VP of Sales gets told he can stay employed but he has to go back to being a line salesman - he got fired.

But when they offer a hand shaking role so you can be around for pictures - you definitely got fired.

GP got fired.

FrogBall09

It’s pointless to discuss this with someone so angry and unwilling to listen. I was making a metaphor. It’s not an exact science. Good lord this is stupid.

Mr baseball guy wins. There is no nuance to the way Patterson’s time here ended. We live in a binary world.
no we just don't live in one where you can make up crap to make the story sound better in your head.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
you win - that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If a CEO gets told you can stay but you will be the mailroom guy - he got fired.
In reality if a Exec VP of Sales gets told he can stay employed but he has to go back to being a line salesman - he got fired.

But when they offer a hand shaking role so you can be around for pictures - you definitely got fired.

GP got fired.
Not what happened. You should read a little. It’s really informative.