• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas makes Patterson hiring official

Eight

Eccentricities? C'mon, man! It's not like his favorite dish is Chocolate-Dipped Dachshunds on a stick...

do you know that? can you prove that? look, you didn't know where kelsey went to school so had to you know for certain that isn't gary's favorite late night snack when he goes ice station zebra on ou game film

Endless Purple

I find it interesting that we took Dykes from our rival SMU, and that's OK. But Patterson going to UT is a crime of some sort. These coaches get to chose their own paths in life. And whether or not they go to work for a rival may just be a smart decision based on things other than rivalry.
Did Patterson work at UT before coming to TCU?

Endless Purple

I don't care that he is a special assistant at UT and wish him well (not UT, just him). Coach I would care about (same with coach in waiting if this becomes that). Many coaches do the special assistant thing then move on to another head coaching job the next year. Might be good for him to reset this way.

If he gets another HC position and redoes it with NEW assistant coaches, he will do well again.

FrogBall09

Can you? Obviously we don't know who might have approached him or he approached. WGAF? He could not do anything rather than go to scheissing Texas. Pretty sure he doesn't need the money.
So you have decided he needed to just sit for a year or take a job that requires he uproot his life for the good of TCU when he only has about 5-7 years left - well how magnanimous of you….

Let me know when you turn down a chance to continue doing what you love for the good of the institution that forced you to stop doing it and a bunch of strangers

Last edited:

MadFrog

As much as I appreciate everything GP did for this program, the statue needs to come down after this
Can you imagine how much criticism TCU would get if they removed GPs statue? Don’t kid yourself, GP and his wife do not like the way they were treated at the end. They want revenge BAD.

FrogBall09

What does tenure have to do with it? Everything in my opinion. His 22 years here. His statue outside the stadium. Yeah I feel like it means something.

Like I said I have no problem with him taking another job ... except for at a school like Texas. A hated rival (for me anyway).

If he had gone to Baylor the heads of most on this board would be exploding. Could you imagine Saban being forced out at Bama and going to Auburn? (Not that I am comparing GP to Saban).

It is Texas. Same if it had been OU. Or Aggie. I find it a little treasonist when he no doubt had other options, which included not going to Texas.
So no Baylor, Texas, OU, Aggie?
How about Tech? Would Houston been allowed or would that have been vindictive because they are joining the conference?

Or was it only G5 schools that were permissible?

And Saban lied to LSU to avoid having to give back money when he walked out on them only to go to their biggest rival after he failed in the NFL….and turn that rival into the GOAT

Hemingway

Not sure why anyone would be surprised that Patterson would go to a Big 12 school, especially in Texas.

I would have been surprised if he went to Rutgers, Illinois, or Oregon State, but not UT.
It was because CDC was there and convinced him. It’s a pretty simple & low pressure sale for a really good salesman like CDC. And GP was a motivated target as well.

TCU will never have a more passionate coach than Gary Patterson—I always appreciated that passion—knowing he was working. Now it’s serving another team, and it is the team we most enjoy beating.

Last edited: