• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas makes Patterson hiring official

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Texas hires former TCU coach Gary Patterson as special assistant to Steve Sarkisian​

Nick Moyle, Staff writer

1200x0.jpg

AUSTIN – Texas on Friday finally acknowledged one of the worst kept secrets on the Forty Acres, confirming its hiring of former TCU head coach Gary Patterson as special assistant to Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian.

The surreal confirmation came three days after a surreal scene unfolded during a Texas men’s basketball game against Kansas State at the Erwin Center. That night, Patterson dressed in a white pullover emblazoned with the burnt orange Longhorn logo and shared a suite with Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte, Patterson’s former boss at TCU from 2009-17.

Neither would confirm the swirling reports that Tuesday night, but the endgame was clear: Patterson, a thorny nemesis as TCU’s head coach for the past 22 seasons, had traded allegiances. Now, he’ll endeavor to help Sarkisian turn around a program that went 5-7 overall and 3-6 in Big 12 play last season, same as the Horned Frogs.

Read more at https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...rson-special-assistant-Sarkisian-16794074.php

Moose Stuff

Disappointed in Patterson. He could get a position like this anywhere, or another head coaching job somewhere, but not at Texas. Again, I feel like he is just giving TCU the finger. I hope so much we kick their asses.
Gary can do whatever he wants and I find myself caring very little about it. That being said, what he chose to do and where he chose to do it tells you quite a bit about how he’s always been wired whether we wanted to see it or not.

FrogBall09

Disappointed in Patterson. He could get a position like this anywhere, or another head coaching job somewhere, but not at Texas. Again, I feel like he is just giving TCU the finger. I hope so much we kick their asses.
Can you list the places that offered him?

A few people keep spouting off this BS with zero backing of all these offers he turned down so he could stick it to TCU by taking the Texas role

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I find it interesting that we took Dykes from our rival SMU, and that's OK. But Patterson going to UT is a crime of some sort. These coaches get to chose their own paths in life. And whether or not they go to work for a rival may just be a smart decision based on things other than rivalry.
You are comparing Dykes' tenure at SMU to Patterson's at TCU? Seriously?

ECoastFrog

You are comparing Dykes' tenure at SMU to Patterson's at TCU? Seriously?
What does tenure have to do with it? No one has mentioned tenure in this conversation. And even if they did, Patterson still gets to take the job he wants. So does Dykes.

Surly was talking about trying to get GP after he resigned and before the rumors started to swirl. It's pretty much a no brainer for UT to want his expertise and GP doesn't have to travel too far to keep his finger in coaching. I don't have a problem with it. We coaxed his resignation, after all. Once we let him go, of course he'll take a position if he's interested in it. Why not?

HToady

Let it go. He’ll be so far down the chain at Texas you’ll never see or hear from him again. Except for the articles Mac Engle will continue to write on how he is flourishing now that he’s divorced himself from TCU.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What does tenure have to do with it? No one has mentioned tenure in this conversation. And even if they did, Patterson still gets to take the job he wants. So does Dykes.

Surly was talking about trying to get GP after he resigned and before the rumors started to swirl. It's pretty much a no brainer for UT to want his expertise and GP doesn't have to travel too far to keep his finger in coaching. I don't have a problem with it. We coaxed his resignation, after all. Once we let him go, of course he'll take a position if he's interested in it. Why not?
What does tenure have to do with it? Everything in my opinion. His 22 years here. His statue outside the stadium. Yeah I feel like it means something.

Like I said I have no problem with him taking another job ... except for at a school like Texas. A hated rival (for me anyway).

If he had gone to Baylor the heads of most on this board would be exploding. Could you imagine Saban being forced out at Bama and going to Auburn? (Not that I am comparing GP to Saban).

It is Texas. Same if it had been OU. Or Aggie. I find it a little treasonist when he no doubt had other options, which included not going to Texas.

Frog-in-law1995

What does tenure have to do with it? Everything in my opinion. His 22 years here. His statue outside the stadium. Yeah I feel like it means something.

Like I said I have no problem with him taking another job ... except for at a school like Texas. A hated rival (for me anyway).

If he had gone to Baylor the heads of most on this board would be exploding. Could you imagine Saban being forced out at Bama and going to Auburn? (Not that I am comparing GP to Saban).

It is Texas. Same if it had been OU. Or Aggie. I find it a little treasonist when he no doubt had other options, which included not going to Texas.
If the 22 years didn’t mean enough to TCU to not fire him, why should it mean enough to Gary to not work elsewhere?

Westsider

A Founder friend of mine told me after the Rose Bowl that GP always admitted to him that there was one other job he would take. He never told the Founder which one, but it was assumed to be UT. And that was 10 years ago. I don’t think any of this stuff today is surprising.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
If the 22 years didn’t mean enough to TCU to not fire him, why should it mean enough to Gary to not work elsewhere?
Like I have said, yes he can go work elsewhere, and his choosing to go to Texas is a big scheiss you to TCU and its fans IMO. I don't appreciate his decision. That is my opinion and I am not looking for anyone's approval of my opinion.

TAINTed frog

A Founder friend of mine told me after the Rose Bowl that GP always admitted to him that there was one other job he would take. He never told the Founder which one, but it was assumed to be UT. And that was 10 years ago. I don’t think any of this stuff today is surprising.
Hahahaha. GP becoming the head coach at UT is laughable. Being an analyst is a far cry from being a DC let alone a HC. The UT HC job is literally everything he seems to have hated about being a HC.

Frog-in-law1995

OU was always the opening that would’ve scared me.

CountryFrog

I don't know his motivations but it is also possible that he just likes Austin, likes working for CDC, and UT offered a [ Finebaum ] load of cash to do a cushy scheissing job that allows Gary to do the football stuff he loves and still have time for other things.

As hard as it might be to believe, there may be things he does in his life going forward that are motivated by things other than TCU.

Now don't get me wrong. I hope UT loses every scheissing game they play from here to eternity. I'm not wishing the guy good luck in this endeavor but I also don't give a scheiss that he decided to take a job at that [ Finebaum ] hole in Austin.

Dogfrog

Such a bad take. Not disappointed at all. He obviously wants to stay in coaching. That’s a good place close by where he can do that. As alluded to before, if you have a coach who you don’t want to compete against, don’t fire him. He and TCU were very good for each other. Once fired he owes TCU nothing. It’s all good.