• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

FBallFan123

Frogsxy and I watched last night. We’re both big Denzel fans. I’m not quite as negative about the ending, but generally agree. The ending wasn’t well done. On the whole though, I thought it was pretty good.

Finally got around to watching The Little Things last night.

Overall, I thought it was very good.

I wouldn’t say the ending was great… but without giving away any spoilers, I would say I don’t mind the direction they went with it … and I certainly don’t think it was bad enough to mar the entire movie.

If we’re talking movies somewhat tainted by their ending, I’d say maybe Under the Silver Lake … a movie I still enjoyed, despite its ending.

It’s not for everybody, but if you liked The Long Goodbye, Seven Psychopaths and Inherent Vice, you might like it … or at least 75% of if.

Last edited:

Eight

In the hands of TV and Movie writers, time and space are infinitely malleable...

as well as sense of direction, say like having to cross the brazos with a wagon train when you are heading to the pacific northwest?

they must be going the long way to socal first, but then how do the duttons end up in montana?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
as well as sense of direction, say like having to cross the brazos with a wagon train when you are heading to the pacific northwest?

they must be going the long way to socal first, but then how do the duttons end up in montana?
"Sometimes, you just have to let the art flow over you..."

BrewingFrog

if they only had someone from the area who might know texas geography and that they would indeed cross a river

don't get me started on the camera angle showing the shallows upstream..........
Some years ago there was a mini-series on one of the cable channels concerning the Texas Revolution. The producers obviously had never seen Texas, and had no clue whatsoever what the land looked like around San Jacinto, San Antonio, Goliad, or Central Texas in general. Many of their outdoor vistas looked like the backdrop was Big Bend, or somewhere down in Mexico around Monterrey. The one that had Mrs. Brewingfrog and I gasping with laughter was "Sam Houston's Camp" before San Jacinto, set among towering, bare stone mesas...

I hope one day to meet Dennis Quaid. He very nearly got to do the Texas Perfecta: Played Sam Houston, but didn't get the part for Chester Nimitz. Of course, the prize goes to a Canadian for playing all the English Heroes: Christopher Plummer got to do both Wellington and Nelson.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Some years ago there was a mini-series on one of the cable channels concerning the Texas Revolution. The producers obviously had never seen Texas, and had no clue whatsoever what the land looked like around San Jacinto, San Antonio, Goliad, or Central Texas in general. Many of their outdoor vistas looked like the backdrop was Big Bend, or somewhere down in Mexico around Monterrey. The one that had Mrs. Brewingfrog and I gasping with laughter was "Sam Houston's Camp" before San Jacinto, set among towering, bare stone mesas...

I hope one day to meet Dennis Quaid. He very nearly got to do the Texas Perfecta: Played Sam Houston, but didn't get the part for Chester Nimitz. Of course, the prize goes to a Canadian for playing all the English Heroes: Christopher Plummer got to do both Wellington and Nelson.
It’s always amazing what people think Texas is. When I worked in New England someone asked me if our cars need to get repainted. I just said, why in the world would we need that? “From all the sand storms.” I had to explain I was from Houston where the climate is closer to Florida’s.” They were shocked to learn it was hot and humid with palm trees.

I do recall seeing a poster advertising Houston to New Yorkers from the 1850’s put out by those snake oil salesmen Smith Brothers showing mountains and waterfalls.

Last edited:

tcudoc

Flag Day … I like Sean Penn, but this is a better soundtrack than a movie.
Sean Penn peaked with Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which also was probably a better soundtrack than movie, but it was a decent movie for a few reasons.
Likely just nostalgia on my part and the fact they were both double albums, but Heavy Metal and Fast Times are two of my all time favorite movie soundtracks. Big stars and almost all original tunes that were not found elsewhere.

BrewingFrog

Binge-watched "Reacher" on Prime Video. I give it two thumbs up.

Think fans of the book series will find this version of Reacher more suitable than Tom Cruise.

There are boobies, too
I lasted 1 1/2 episodes. Stupid characters, woke casting and stereotypes, ghastly dialog, all was pretty awful save for the action sequences and some nice camera work. I mean, the books weren't exactly great literature, but that was some ham-fisted stuff...