• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Patterson meets with Steve Sarkisian about possible role on Texas staff

HornyWartyToad

I suspect he will be, similar to Coach Kill. Take over for 4 games and prove he can behave normal enough for a Colorado or Colorado St type team to hire him for his final 4 years.

Sark getting duped by CDC mid-year back up plan.
This kinda what I'm thinking. . . No-lose deal for CDC- Sark was seemingly forced on him. If it works, great. If it doesn't, he can have Gary as his binky to hold onto through the rough times.

FrogBall09

Pretty sure ADJD left me with that impression. If I’m imagining it, ADJD has a future in politics as his backup job.
ADJD does not have the the authority to hire GP into our "administration" and there was no way GP was going to remain in the Athletic Department. I am pretty confident VBo does not have the ability to create a job for GP out of the blue unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months - especially not at anything close to the salary level he will be at as an Analyst at UT or any other P5.

So ADJD can say whatever he wants for PR - the reality is any role that GP would have accepted at TCU would have been more volunteer than employee

froginaustin

ADJD does not have the the authority to hire GP into our "administration" and there was no way GP was going to remain in the Athletic Department. I am pretty confident VBo does not have the ability to create a job for GP out of the blue unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months - especially not at anything close to the salary level he will be at as an Analyst at UT or any other P5.

So ADJD can say whatever he wants for PR - the reality is any role that GP would have accepted at TCU would have been more volunteer than employee

^^^^ nonsense. Too much wrong above to bother correcting.
Have a good evening.

FrogBall09

^^^^ nonsense. Too much wrong above to bother correcting.
Have a good evening.
actually there is not anything wrong in it -

It takes a vote of the board of Trustees to add a new position for anything close to the level of compensation GP will be making at UT - you think VBo is a dictator with total control of the TCU checkbook? There is even a sub-committee that has to review it first before a job description, salary, etc can even be submitted for consideration. Honestly it takes a committee approval to add a new staff position period but under a specific salary level and within budgeted limits it is a procedural effort not a vote type activity.

So unless you think ADJD offered GP a role to make $200k to be Meredith's assistant for baseball - there was no real role for GP and all that ever happened is the discussion VBo had with him about remaining part of the TCU community, which did not involve an actual "job"

Sangria Wine

Yep. Would’ve made more money, had less work to do, and kept/rebuilt his status.

Just very dumb decision making.
You assume his greatest concern in his life is how he is viewed by the TCU community. He was fired. He wants to coach again in some form or fashion then he can choose to do so. That doesn’t make it dumb decision making. Money is likely not a determining factor in any decision that GP has made in a long time either.

They didn’t buy him into a non-compete. He doesn’t owe TCU fans to retire if he isn’t ready. UT can be fairly viewed as a PITA to have in your conference and a PITA fan base to compete against, but UT is a top 5 athletic department to work for. And in this new NIL era they’ll be very tough to keep out of the championship drivers seat for long. It’s going to be interesting to watch how things played out. Sure hope that JD/VB got this one right!

HFrog1999

Does a Special Assistant still need to make the coffee?

Issa Rae Assistant GIF by Insecure on HBO

Big Frog II

I still wish he had reached out to local high schools to help out. He doesn't need the money, and could do so much more good for these high school kids than he ever could in Austin.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Nonsense.

FrogBall09

Yeah Vince young got a job in the Texas AD as a literal schmoozer and figurehead to attend events to help fundraise
So you think GP was getting offered a job by JD to work in the athletic department after we just fired him as our HC?

I am sure Dykes would have been all over having a legend walking the halls

Last edited:

FrogBall09

Nonsense.
Really?

So a few years ago Ann Louden left TCU after years of being VBo’s assistant because he could not get approval for her role to move from part time to be a full time role from the board. She was his right arm and the best at what she did because of her relationships in FtW from the years of being married to Malcolm - and VBo has struggled to find anyone even close to replace her.

We have had several assistant deans and other professors leave because we don’t add roles for them to advance even though we have numerous programs without proper oversight in their areas - and VBo has tried to create positions to stop it but cant without approval - which he doesn’t get due to our already high faculty to student ratio requirements

Yet somehow you think we can just snap fingers and create a role in the Administration for a couple of million a year just so GP can hang around and not go coach somewhere else? The FRC would stage a walk out given how often they are told no to every salary or faculty position increase in the face of rising tuition

Where exactly do you think this GP role would sit within the University?

Amazing how little our football fans seem to understand about how the rest of the school operates

Just like with CDC - just because ADJD says it doesn’t mean it was reality - they are both good at selling what needs to be sold