• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

HFrog1999

View attachment 10615
Bit off topic but I came across this photo of Gene Hackman on fb. Time does move along. One of the great ones.

main-qimg-5cd6c9ec5a04450367f7dacf3e231981

LisaLT

Donnie Darko, perhaps? Or the awful Prometheus. Then there's the execrable Event Horizon. Those are the ones that leap, unfortunately, to mind...

There are a legion of films that chronicle the descent of a character, or engender a sense of dread and fear. Some do it well, and others just hit the numbers and move on. Keeping to the horror genre, Robert Wise's The Haunting was a classic. Even The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was excellent in both being a horror film and a love story. John Carpenter shot Halloween on a complete shoestring budget, but produced a film that was fresh and engaging. He didn't produce anything up to that standard until he shot The Thing some years later.

As to Mother, the only thing that comes close is Melancholia, and that film's sole redeeming factor was Kirsten Dunst running around bare-assed. I may not know much about art, but I know what I like...
Lars Von Trier. Talk about a pervy freak director. Did you ever see Nymphomaniac?? Hard to believe any credible actor would work with him.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Lars Von Trier. Talk about a pervy freak director. Did you ever see Nymphomaniac?? Hard to believe any credible actor would work with him.
Nope.

My young cousin was in a Richard Loncraine film, Wimbledon, playing the "rising star" part. He noted that Loncraine was "one weird dude." But, I very much doubt that he got anywhere near as weird as Von Trier...

FBallFan123

I saw him once about 10 years ago at Harry’s Roadhouse in Santa Fe. Waitress actually told us not to speak to him. Weird deal, but if he’s in a movie, there’s a really good chance I like it.

They showed him there once on an episode of Diners with Guy Fieri. Apparently he is/was a regular there.

Great actor. One of the best of his generation.

FBallFan123

Just watched No Sudden Move … and much like Motherless Brooklyn, it felt like a total disappointment.

I remember reading Edward Norton compare MB to Chinatown and thinking how ridiculous it was for him to compare the two.

Similar feeling with NSM …it had some ingredients of a good neo-noir movie … but ends up being a poor imitation of better movies that have come before it.

Last edited:

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
The wife and I watched The Hitman’s Girlfriend’s Bodyguard last night. While Samuel Jackson is well know for his F bomb deliveries, Salma Hayek takes vulgar language to a level of artistic expression that few can match. The movie sucked, but I could listen to her cuss in Spanish all day.

JugbandFrog

Back to Station Eleven...I know it's a series but it's shot like a movie. The finale finally dropped and it was brilliant. The entire series might be the most brilliant and elegant piece of television I've ever watched.
I wholeheartedly agree. Dang ol’ allergies in that last episode.

Also, The Expanse on Amazon ended, and it was as good an ending to a series as I’ve seen.

JugbandFrog

The wife and I watched The Hitman’s Girlfriend’s Bodyguard last night. While Samuel Jackson is well know for his F bomb deliveries, Salma Hayek takes vulgar language to a level of artistic expression that few can match. The movie sucked, but I could listen to her cuss in Spanish all day.
How did she, um, look…