• The KillerFrogs

How do the frogs defensive personnel fit into gillespie's 3-3-5?

Eight

the easy joke and answer is not well, but i really do think how some of the players on the frogs roster transition into the new defensive alignment is going to be key next season

yes, there will be challenges on the offensive side, but with the transfer in of ali and the potential to slide avila to guard goes a long way to stabilizing the frogs interior offensive line and i do think there is potential talent in the offensive line. there are questions still ,but not like the defense

gillespie seemed to prefer 3 bigger defensive linemen who played down, but shifted around some and at least one of the linebackers was a big bigger from what i could tell, but for those who have a much better understanding please correct me

starting in the defensive line if cooper does in fact return does anyone see him dropping a bit of weight and playing a 5 technique out over an offensive tackle instead of playing inside?

don't see ellis or misi being able to play on the edge more and have no idea about sorrells. anyone with thoughts?

defensive end is going to be interesting to me as i just don't see coleman at 225-230 playing down over an offensive tackle so do we seem him play upright as that bigger linebacker? if horton is back do we see him drop a bit of weight and move back out to olb as he played at new mexico?

then we come to colt and ochaun. i just don't see colt having the ability to play upright so does he get a bit bigger? what about mathis? i really do think ochaun is a guy who got asked to do more than he is capable playing upright and back and off the line like he has the past few years. do we see him get a bit bigger and play down all the time?

at linebacker do we see banks play that bigger position? do think it will be interesting to watch the linebacker develop because i do think this is another position that has more potential physical talent than production. do we see someone like winters drop a bit of weight and play in the field more or even in the back 5?

thoughts on the safety rotation as well?

thanks for thoughts ahead of time

Eight

Who, besides Tulsa, plays the 3-3-5. so that we can look at their lineup and get some more info?

the two closest home so to speak are iowa state and wvu.

can't tell you if they do things differently in their schemes and if they use their personnel differently as well

Eight

What we need is some of this.......intensity. Conf. Championship on the line..1st. & goal at 1:20 mark:

both of those two teams have gotten much more physical over the past few years, tackle cleanly, and are well coached defenses

back to the original questions, if you get that, do the pieces fit in this defensive scheme or is there going to be some patchwork until they can get the right personnel in place

4th. down

both of those two teams have gotten much more physical over the past few years, tackle cleanly, and are well coached defenses

back to the original questions, if you get that, do the pieces fit in this defensive scheme or is there going to be some patchwork until they can get the right personnel in place
I'm not sure the traditional stack 3 can stop a power run game. Baylor was mostly using a 4/3 in the championship game vs OSU even when OSU had it at 1st. & goal for the win. Envision GP using a stack 3 against Whisky in the Rose.

Eight

I'm not sure the traditional stack 3 can stop a power run game. Baylor was mostly using a 4/3 in the championship game vs OSU even when OSU had it at 1st. & goal for the win. Envision GP using a stack 3 against Whisky in the Rose.

think this is where the matter of personnel and scheme come into play

consider that while the frogs base defensive formation didn't change under gary how the players were positioned on the field and the the type of players definitely did change

frogs have had the very same problem texas had in stopping the off tackle power run with the upright defensive ends playing out off the offensive tackles shoulder.

heck, when pete k was at washington and had two nfl caliber defensive tackles in gaines and vega they struggled to stop the power run game again because of alignment

4th. down

think this is where the matter of personnel and scheme come into play

consider that while the frogs base defensive formation didn't change under gary how the players were positioned on the field and the the type of players definitely did change

frogs have had the very same problem texas had in stopping the off tackle power run with the upright defensive ends playing out off the offensive tackles shoulder.

heck, when pete k was at washington and had two nfl caliber defensive tackles in gaines and vega they struggled to stop the power run game again because of alignment
Oh, you bring back unpleasant memories.....with our DE's playing contain, we couldn't stop or even slow down a power run game......total disaster and then factor in undersized players and that's one reason he be gone.

Eight

Oh, you bring back unpleasant memories.....with our DE's playing contain, we couldn't stop or even slow down a power run game......total disaster and then factor in undersized players and that's one reason he be gone.

i am sure if you put gary or glasgow into of a white board they could give a very logic explanation as to why they played the front in the way they have the past few seasons as opposed to they did back in the rose bowl or even 2014

unfortunately though, you could simply watch iowa state the past three years and see them pound the edges of the frogs defense in the run game and whatever those reasons were just didn't translate to play on the field.

be it technique, development, talent, execution etc....

i am only half kidding when i type that i am curious if we see a different player in mathis next year if he stays at tcu

4th. down

i am sure if you put gary or glasgow into of a white board they could give a very logic explanation as to why they played the front in the way they have the past few seasons as opposed to they did back in the rose bowl or even 2014

unfortunately though, you could simply watch iowa state the past three years and see them pound the edges of the frogs defense in the run game and whatever those reasons were just didn't translate to play on the field.

i am only half kidding when i type that i am curious if we see a different player in mathis next year if he stays at tcu
Look for some squad depletion after the Spring Game.

Wexahu

IMO Mathis has no future in the NFL as a DE. He’s a stand up LB in a 3-4 from what I can tell.

Eight

Look for some squad depletion after the Spring Game.

agree, when i look at a rough depth chart i see 5 de's on campus, 4 dt's, 9 linebackers, 8 safeties (9 if biddle is an early enrollment) and 7 corners

suspect after spring ball and they have an idea who fits where in the scheme, who is willing to change 'their game" to fit the new scheme, who is picking it up, and who project well that we see multiple players make some moves

linebacker is another position to watch as you really didn't get consistent play last year so something has to change as well as a few who haven't played much at all 3-years into their college careers

in regards to mathis wex, to me it isn't where he projects in the nfl but where he fits in this new scheme and i just don't see him having the agility or game to play out in space.

he seems to be more effective attacking , but not sure if he is a guy who can or more importantly is willing to go head up with an offensive tackle

4th. down

One thing that I haven't seen discussed much is on JG's stack 3 is the very important safety coming in for run support and has the sole responsibility of playing the flat. Once that RB or QB get's outside of the 3 down, if the LB get's caught up in the wash, that safety MUST make that tackle. Based on last season, I'm not confident we have on campus 2 safeties that can consistently do it.

Wexahu

agree, when i look at a rough depth chart i see 5 de's on campus, 4 dt's, 9 linebackers, 8 safeties (9 if biddle is an early enrollment) and 7 corners

suspect after spring ball and they have an idea who fits where in the scheme, who is willing to change 'their game" to fit the new scheme, who is picking it up, and who project well that we see multiple players make some moves

linebacker is another position to watch as you really didn't get consistent play last year so something has to change as well as a few who haven't played much at all 3-years into their college careers

in regards to mathis wex, to me it isn't where he projects in the nfl but where he fits in this new scheme and i just don't see him having the agility or game to play out in space.

he seems to be more effective attacking , but not sure if he is a guy who can or more importantly is willing to go head up with an offensive tackle
Right. I guess my point was I don’t think he can be one of the 3 down lineman in this scheme. I think he’s gonna have to learn to play standing up in space if he stays here. Not sure he has the change of direction ability to do it but we’ll see.

Eight

One thing that I haven't seen discussed much is on JG's stack 3 is the very important safety coming in for run support and has the sole responsibility of playing the flat. Once that RB or QB get's outside of the 3 down, if the LB get's caught up in the wash, that safety MUST make that tackle. Based on last season, I'm not confident we have on campus 2 safeties that can consistently do it.

guess that goes back to my question of does a slimmed down dee winters fit that role?

4th. down

guess that goes back to my question of does a slimmed down dee winters fit that role?
He probably could and he has the speed to go with the position change but if you move him out of the LB position, who you gonna replace him with in Spring Ball?

Eight

He probably could and he has the speed to go with the position change but if you move him out of the LB position, who you gonna replace him with in Spring Ball?

hodges and hodge? crook? heck, not really sure what the frogs have at linebacker other than a couple of really good athletes and then who knows

my guess would be that would be a move that happens only if they find enough places to adequately occupy the linebacker position for gillespie to be confident in them and it is apparent you don't have that player among your current group of safeties.

4th. down

hodges and hodge? crook? heck, not really sure what the frogs have at linebacker other than a couple of really good athletes and then who knows

my guess would be that would be a move that happens only if they find enough places to adequately occupy the linebacker position for gillespie to be confident in them and it is apparent you don't have that player among your current group of safeties.
We are bringing in 2 transfer safeties. For Spring Ball, that will have to do and then during the summer try and get 2 more because currently, our safeties are not any good. If we don't solve the safety problem by the end of fall camp, it's going to be difficult to stop a power run game with the LB getting caught up in the wash.