• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans…

TCUdirtbag

That process sounds quite a bit like what I’m used to with the exception that nobody poisoned the bill apparently (which I used to help do on occasion BTW). But the story about aides grabbing piecemeal language from other states (probably written by an amalgam of interested parties) resonates. There could be a full length movie made about the legislation that eventually moved Sudafed behind the pharmacy counter. (Another example of a senator’s pet project but one that thankfully got slowed down long enough to get more stakeholder involvement)

Fortunately, a lot less special interest and lobbying in college sports than in the pharma industry. Most of the state legislation was based on some proposals out of the NCAA (not they they’re anywhere close to an ideal arbiter of good policy). I can’t imagine trying to work legislation for an industry other than higher ed. It’s hard enough, and in theory they’re the states’ own agencies.

The state of Kansas ended up without NIL legislation because of an anti-trans poison pill. That sort of stuff might’ve happened in some of the other Midwest states that didn’t get NIL done last year.

Spike

I think the argument is they might not set aside the money to pay their taxes or make their quarterly tax payment, etc etc, and they might blow through their money, all that stuff.

But I generally agree with you. But I also think most all these kids on average will be no better off in 20 years.
I was in oil and gas for a while as a landman. Most of us were 1099 independent contractors. That meant we got a giant check with everything thrown in (mileage, meal n cell phone stipends, reimbursement of expenses, etc etc), and absolutely nothing taken out. They would then send in a 1099 to the IRS. While some utilized CPAs or other tax professionals and employed elaborate systems to track and decuct expenses and set aside a percentage for taxes, many grown adults with atleast 4 year degrees and some times JDs would not set aside the money to pay taxes then go on a scramble drill in April.

Heck I know some age 40 plus attorneys who don't set aside $ for taxes.

Spike

how yall be looking at transfers leaving their schools to enter the portal.

click steve bannon GIF

how yall be looking at transfers leaving the portal to come to TCU.

happy samuel l. jackson GIF by O&O, Inc
He had Dr. Pepper!

Spike

Over 70% of lottery winners elect the lump sum. Not suggesting that is an academic example, but we, as humans, are inherintely distracted by the availability bias which morphs into cognitive bias: You see a big number now vs. a larger number over a longer (sometimes much longer) period of time, the availability bias directs you to the big number now.
Not that I play the lottery but I depending on what my CPA and Financial planner had to say I would probably take the lump sum now. The ability to pay off some debt, invest, and file a few Federal cases would put me in a better spot in the long haul.

Spike

I'm pretty sure most of them are very in tune with taxation in America.

/s
How much Financial Literacy is taught in schools? I do debtor/creditor work in my law practice and I'm frequently shocked at some of the dumb things people do, then I realize the only reason I know it's a bad choice is because of what I do for a living.

On a similar note I had never heard of the rule of 4% until I heard a financial planner speak at a seminar. Then I wondered why I had never heard it before.

CardFrog

How much Financial Literacy is taught in schools? I do debtor/creditor work in my law practice and I'm frequently shocked at some of the dumb things people do, then I realize the only reason I know it's a bad choice is because of what I do for a living.

On a similar note I had never heard of the rule of 4% until I heard a financial planner speak at a seminar. Then I wondered why I had never heard it before.
Its like when our new catholic pastor suggested 5% of your gross income should go to the church....I politely excused myself and went to a bar.

TCUdirtbag

I was in oil and gas for a while as a landman. Most of us were 1099 independent contractors. That meant we got a giant check with everything thrown in (mileage, meal n cell phone stipends, reimbursement of expenses, etc etc), and absolutely nothing taken out. They would then send in a 1099 to the IRS. While some utilized CPAs or other tax professionals and employed elaborate systems to track and decuct expenses and set aside a percentage for taxes, many grown adults with atleast 4 year degrees and some times JDs would not set aside the money to pay taxes then go on a scramble drill in April.

Heck I know some age 40 plus attorneys who don't set aside $ for taxes.

During the last big oil and gas boom, you could always find a good deal on nice used trucks (though often lifted/tricked out) in boom country when tax bills came due.

All those landmen overbought and needed cash come tax time.

AroundWorldFrog

Why would that trigger some people?
Well, quite obviously, the thought of ZE returning to TCU is more than several posters can handle. They've made it quite clear they don't want him back at all.

I think ZE is a 19 year old kid that has a ton of folks in his ear and is trying to make what he perceives as the correct decision for his future. I will wish him luck whether at TCU (I hope he comes back) or elsewhere.

Moose Stuff

Well, quite obviously, the thought of ZE returning to TCU is more than several posters can handle. They've made it quite clear they don't want him back at all.

I think ZE is a 19 year old kid that has a ton of folks in his ear and is trying to make what he perceives as the correct decision for his future. I will wish him luck whether at TCU (I hope he comes back) or elsewhere.
I must have missed the posts where people said that don’t want him back.

AroundWorldFrog

Posters continuing to post that they don't care about Zach Evans anymore.
View attachment 10561
Not really, since given all I know about the situation I’d actually prefer he transfer. So in a sense I do care I guess. A little bit.
Maybe mostly a few, but since ZE entered the portal, he's gotten tons of animosity and hate on here. You know it, I know it and the posteers that don't want him back know it.

Edit, tried to quote multiple posters. You know who they are.

HFrog1999

Its like when our new catholic pastor suggested 5% of your gross income should go to the church....I politely excused myself and went to a bar.

My first year out of college I actually tithed 10% of my income (which was about $2k). We were broke and in debt at the time. If I’d actually used that money to pay off our debt and start saving for the future we would’ve been a lot better off

Bizarro Frog

I hope Zach comes back, has a monster year and leads us to Big 12 title. This is the new reality until some more guidelines are in place and some kids will test the waters and some won't. It's tempting to speculate and make judgements on their actions but the reality is very few of us if any at all know the specific situation each of these kids are in. I will let it play out and root for the best.

NewFrogFan

FB has its issues but since I really put on retirement training wheels on July 1st, I have found a wealth of knowledge on SS, and many issues surrounding retirement. You can search and endless groups come up. The retirement bridge has been crossed many times before I got to it and learning from others mistakes is very beneficial IMO. Just an fyi. I am surprised how many professionals give their advice freely and openly, so for those thinking its the standard SM bs, you would be wrong. When my father had to be put into Assisted Living, the Elder Care group I found was invaluable and full of useful information. YMMV.