• The KillerFrogs

Am I The Only One To Know or The Last One To Know….

gofor2

The constant churn of assistants helps insulate Saban

Speaking of assistants, Alabama employs an army of them. They have skirted staff limitations by employing them as graduate assistants and so forth. I look forward to his retirement and hope alabama drifts back to average. Not because I'm a hater, but to help bend CFB back towards what it was for decades. Which was no single conference dominating for long stretches. I even hesitate to say conference because in reality, the SEC has not dominated. It's been Alabama and everyone else in that conference riding alabama's coattails.

Wexahu

Speaking of assistants, Alabama employs an army of them. They have skirted staff limitations by employing them as graduate assistants and so forth. I look forward to his retirement and hope alabama drifts back to average. Not because I'm a hater, but to help bend CFB back towards what it was for decades. Which was no single conference dominating for long stretches. I even hesitate to say conference because in reality, the SEC has not dominated. It's been Alabama and everyone else in that conference riding alabama's coattails.
Three other SEC schools have won national championships since Saban took over there.

I doubt when Alabama's reign ends it's going to be all that much more "even" in terms of conference superiority.

OICU812

S

Saban is a total ass also - and does not relate to his players well either- but he is winning so everyone deals with it since he is so dominant

The constant churn of assistants helps insulate Saban because no one else is there long enough to become tiresome - a big mistake GP made

My older brother played at Bama and he along with his teammates that hang together all laugh at what Saban gets away with that other coaches get roasted for
Lol, I can certainly buy that. Dudes who are that wildly successful at running an enterprise for sure trend toward something like sociopath. Gotta admit though, if that’s how he really is then they do a hella good job of controlling the message, because his public persona is such the “lovable curmudgeon.”
Whatever the real deal is, he has shown himself light years ahead of Gary(and most others) in terms of embracing change.
Hasn’t been all that long ago, like not much more than 5 years he was throwing a tantrum with ncaa begging for rules changes to limit/ban HUNH offenses out of concern for “player safety,” lolol. He was worried, rightly, that seeing his elephants lying gassed on the field while fast-break teams scored at will was going to kill the advantage he had by signing the biggest players on the planet.
Give the devil his due, when the ncaa (surprisingly) told him to pound sand, he changed schemes, brought in smart assistants to help him get fast in a hurry, and never really missed a beat.

Eight

Most all coaches will wear out their welcome eventually. As good as JJ was with the Cowboys, the last year or two you could see his act wearing thin on some guys- Aikman in particular would actually roll his eyes in response to JJ’s shtick.

The only antidote for that is to continually reinvent yourself. That’s what’s made Saban’s run at Bama so impressive. He’s done it by constantly bringing on new assistants with fresh perspectives. And it doesn’t hurt that he makes an effort to relate to his players on their level (“deez nuts”)

Gary did it once by bringing in Meachbie, with amazing results. His failure to keep doing it is a large part of what brought him down.

agree, though the one advantage college coaches do have is the annual movement in and out of a good portion of their rosters. when jimmy was with the cowboys there was still very little movement of rosters compared to today and i could see how he would wear on guys

TCUWIN

What do you mean? The SEC dominates the SWAC and other HBCUs and other weak G5 teams for years. Oh, not what you meant? Gotcha!

Virginia Frog

Gary won’t help UT beat TCU. What he will do is take his $6m from this year, add it to his $6M? buyout, then add maybe $1M for a one year job he can do from his office at home. That’s pretty much what he’ll do.
With $12M, and then with an additional $1M he's gets there, after taxes, it'll approach zero.

Why in the world, except if butthurt or doing a "get back at TCU", would he take a job at the biggest nemesis of his Legacy Institution (TCU will be in his obit #1 unless he wins a Nobel Peace Prize.) Why crap on us? He failed the last 5 seasons and his D in 2021 was at best high school level. TCU football was on a downward trajectory under his watch.

His stock went down in my book with this move.

He should have "partied" for a year and in mid-Oct 2022 made himself available for a HC at some mid-P5 school for 2023. Then he could have "shown" the TCU bigwigs what a mistake they made in sending him out the door. 200 Ws would be 3 seasons away. And, the TCU Nation wouldn't be offended. He'd still be the King in Fort Worth forever and ever. Now I'm not so sure he survives in the hearts and minds of TCUers as tops.

Bad political move on GPs part. IMO!

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Is GP vaccinated and if not will he be allowed in Austin? (Thought I would go ahead and fully derail the thread).

trainwreck GIF

TCUdirtbag

Based on the age of Patterson’s contract with TCU and the reportedly extremely-coach-favorable terms (I.e. no buyout had he been the one that terminated), I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not an offset clause in TCU’s buyout. While that sort of provision is industry standard now, that’s a relatively new development (5ish years).

There’s no telling what they negotiated in November, of course. They might’ve signed a separation agreement with offset and fair market value clauses. That’s the thing about a private school — we’ll never really know.

gofor2

I doubt when Alabama's reign ends it's going to be all that much more "even" in terms of conference superiority.
Since 2009 Alabama has won the invitationals or been runner up 9 times. That's 75% in 12 years. So, yes, if they do drift back to their historical norm, I belive there will be far more parity. Alabama acts as a booster for that entire conference. So if, say, LSU beats alabama in a given year and LSU is 11-1, then LSU is going to the invitationals because, since they beat Alabama, they "have" to be good since SEC SEC SEC. That's the logic. Hell if Kentucky went 11-1 with a win over Alabama I'm sure we'll hear about how great Kentucky is and Alabama is great too, since they are Alabama.

Last edited:

gofor2

Three other SEC schools have won national championships since Saban took over there.
Maybe since he took over, but since Alabama's first invitational win in 2009 there has been 2. Auburn barely beating Oregon and LSU winning the invitationals in 2019.

Last edited:

TCUWIN

Since 2009 Alabama has won the invitationals or been runner up 9 times. That's 75% in 12 years. So, yes, if they do drift back to their historical norm, I belive there will be far more parity. Alabama acts as a booster for that entire conference. So if, say, LSU beats alabama in a given year and LSU is 11-1, then LSU is going to the invitationals because, since they beat Alabama, they "have" to be good since SEC SEC SEC. That's the logic. Hell if Kentucky went 11-1 with a win over Alabama I'm sure we'll hear about how great Kentucky is and Alabama is great too, since they are Alabama.
All SEC fans and announcers at ESPN talk about how tough it is week in and week out in the SEC. According to them, every team is outstanding and the rest of CFB is second fiddle.

TCUWIN

Of course, by invitational, you mean The ESPN Invitational, sponsored by the SEC, right? Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.