• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Is the King’s Man out yet? Any early reviews? The trailer looks good but that can often be misleading and sometimes even the entire movie leaving two more hours to be filled by, whatever.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
We saw House of Gucci the other day. It’s a bit uneven but the scene with Al Pacino and Jeremy Irons is worth the price of admission. Lady GaGa is solid as well. One of the more successful pop star/actor crossovers imo

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Season 6 of Shetland is out on BritBox.

I never hear Shetland talked about, but I like it a lot. It’s a very very chill Scottish police drama that takes place on Shetland Island.

I haven’t watched the first season in years, but I vaguely remember not being super into it right from the start, but I gradually started liking it more and more.
I’ve seen those locations. Shetland is the definition of remote!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Watched "Being the Ricardos". The story was fair but Nicole Kidman is amazing as Lucy, especially in the scenes where they are on stage. You wouldn't know the difference...
Agree, she was terrific. Just read an article fact checking and said it was 98% on the nose. Never realized what a heady business guy Ricky was. Getting J. Edgar Hoover on the phone was ballsy…

jack the frog

I read it was a shot at Trump (Streep) and the Covid deniers. Haven’t seen it, did you pick up on it?

It wasn’t too bad or I wouldn’t have sat through it. Don’t like a bunch of politics in my entertainment no matter the bent. Maybe a shot or two more attempted on the right overall but as the movie is an Idiocracy spoof as much as anything it was easy to draw current administration parallels whether intended or not.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It wasn’t too bad or I wouldn’t have sat through it. Don’t like a bunch of politics in my entertainment no matter the bent. Maybe a shot or two more attempted on the right overall but as the movie is an Idiocracy spoof as much as anything it was easy to draw current administration parallels whether intended or not.
I can’t imagine Hollywood intentionally taking shots at a lib, warranted or not. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

I took it as more of a modern-day version of Doctor Strangelove.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I just finished and thought it was funny, but man if you didn’t think that wasn’t a total political swipe at anything Trump (not saying it isn’t warranted) and anything conservative, you must have had blinders on. From the philandering President with a son working for her that had the too cool stubble and too much hair gel (doesn’t remind you of anyone?), to the MAGA-like Don’t Look Up hats, the videos of inappropriate things, the denial and flat out lies, knock on religion “you believe God?!?” comments, the flat out denial of scientific facts “it’s going to hit Earth!”, “Well 99% is not a certainty”.

You couldn’t keep track of all of the analogies to the prior administration. I must have missed those parallels of the current moron. If there were any, there were far, far fewer than those aimed at the prior buffoon. And it really wasn’t all that veiled.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I just finished and thought it was funny, but man if you didn’t think that wasn’t a total political swipe at anything Trump (not saying it isn’t warranted) and anything conservative, you must have had blinders on. From the philandering President with a son working for her that had the too cool stubble and too much hair gel (doesn’t remind you of anyone?), to the MAGA-like Don’t Look Up hats, the videos of inappropriate things, the denial and flat out lies, knock on religion “you believe God?!?” comments, the flat out denial of scientific facts “it’s going to hit Earth!”, “Well 99% is not a certainty”.

You couldn’t keep track of all of the analogies to the prior administration. I must have missed those parallels of the current moron. If there were any, there were far, far fewer than those aimed at the prior buffoon. And it really wasn’t all that veiled.
Thank you.

It was already "Meh" for me, as I had read that the whole thing was a thinly-disguised relentless slam of Unbelievers in Globull Warmening.

I think it was Louis B. Mayer who said, "If you want to send a message, hire Western Union."