• The KillerFrogs

Ewers visiting TCU tomorrow…

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The guy who is probably our current leading candidate to start at QB in 2022 also “abandoned” his team.
H.S.? Or College? College is at least a little forgivable, in that there is little loyalty flowing downhill at a Big Time Program unless you are paying the bills. And, he was not.

Ditching H.S. to chase the Big Money is just weird. I read up-thread of a $1.5 million contract, but what services does this entail? What are his rights and responsibilities? It's for damned sure they didn't just hand the kid a sackfull of money and say, "Hey kid, mention our name from time to time!" Granted, I am not a social media creature, and, in fact, avoid it all like the plague. Yet, even in that sphere, the kid was being paid to pimp a service or product, same as any mook on TV. If he never plays a down, what happens to the flow of money?

AroundWorldFrog

H.S.? Or College? College is at least a little forgivable, in that there is little loyalty flowing downhill at a Big Time Program unless you are paying the bills. And, he was not.

Ditching H.S. to chase the Big Money is just weird. I read up-thread of a $1.5 million contract, but what services does this entail? What are his rights and responsibilities? It's for damned sure they didn't just hand the kid a sackfull of money and say, "Hey kid, mention our name from time to time!" Granted, I am not a social media creature, and, in fact, avoid it all like the plague. Yet, even in that sphere, the kid was being paid to pimp a service or product, same as any mook on TV. If he never plays a down, what happens to the flow of money?
People make marketing decisions every day. Some are good, some are bad. Based on his deals, I don't think anyone can say they're "bad" yet.

Palliative Care

This is getting stupid. The NIL situation is not even as bad now as it will get later. Sure it is unfair and a bad thing to see all this money being toss around like candy at a Halloween party but is here now and probably it is not going away. If you want to blame someone blame the money mongers who through out the cash and tear down the limits so that 18 y/o get offer millions of dollars. Hell we all wish we were offered so much money for just being in the right place at the right time. Otherwise don't take your frustrations out on this kid because he took the money offered legally. I mean he would have just last year been offered just as much illegally.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I am thinking some of the losers in this equation are the dummies who paid to obtain an autograph from this guy right before he flew the coop for another pasture. I am sure they were thinking, "Wow, I got something from the new stud QB and it only cost me 10 bucks!" And now it is virtually worthless to anyone north of the Red River.

Dogfrog

This is weird. If this kid was the greatest code writer to ever come out of high school and Google said "Hey, we'll pay you a million bucks a year to graduate early and come work for us 2 hours a week while you go to school", no one would blink an eye.

Even if he abandoned his school computer team.
A fool and his money are soon parted applies to your hypothetical as well.

Wexahu

This is weird. If this kid was the greatest code writer to ever come out of high school and Google said "Hey, we'll pay you a million bucks a year to graduate early and come work for us 2 hours a week while you go to school", no one would blink an eye.

Even if he abandoned his school computer team.
The difference is this is team sports. It's not the kid that is the problem, he can make whatever decision he wants and if someone is willing to shell out a million bucks to him, more power to him, I'd do the same thing. It's what this is doing to the sport itself.

What is the allure of a sports league in which players can go play for whoever they want, there is no limit on what they get paid, and then they can leave their team whenever they want and immediately go play for someone else, Great for them I guess, but I'm not sure how anyone could possibly find that remotely interesting, just as a fan of sports.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The difference is this is team sports. It's not the kid that is the problem, he can make whatever decision he wants and if someone is willing to shell out a million bucks to him, more power to him, I'd do the same thing. It's what this is doing to the sport itself.

What is the allure of a sports league in which players can go play for whoever they want, there is no limit on what they get paid, and then they can leave their team whenever they want and immediately go play for someone else, Great for them I guess, but I'm not sure how anyone could possibly find that remotely interesting.
This.

The new system literally knocks the pins out from under the traditional foundations of team sport. Everybody's a mercenary now, especially the skill players. The grundoons who do the blocking and tackling are just along for the ride, and occasional reward, but never to the level of the skill guys. This divergence of reward/effort will just annihilate the fabric of what we used to call a "team" and render it just a temporary group of individuals.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a bunch of 18-22 year-olds (and their 35-75 year-old financiers) will display a maturity and wisdom that makes me look like a fool.*

*And monkeys may come flying out of my butt...

Moose Stuff

Prominent HS baseball players are increasingly skipping the spring of their SR year to enroll early in college. This may be weird to us but it really isn’t to them.

LisaLT

I guess I don’t understand why business person would pay a high school kid who is a complete unknown at this point in his life/career millions of bucks when they could go out and hire an actual PRO athlete with name recognition or a celebrity to promote their business for the same or less money. ROI matters.

LisaLT

I think there are a few million reasons why he'll probably end up in either Austin or College Station. But we've now got a staff that was convincing nationally elite recruits to go play in front of 600 fans at the AAC school over in Highland Park. And we've added a couple more high level recruiters in addition to those guys. So it's probably not as much of a long shot as you or many others may think.
I’m glad our new staff and recruiters are kicking ass and taking names. We needed that boost and excitement which has been MIA for a long time now. Let’s hope they can take that to the field and win games next.

AroundWorldFrog

I'm certainly not going to slam a 17 year kid that makes a decision that can set him up financially for the rest of his life.

Others can have at it, but it's the new reality, like it or not.

Wexahu

Some do they call it the NFL and it is only remotely interesting in my opinion.
The NFL isn't even close to the same.

First of all, there is a player draft, players don't get recruited and get to pick where they want to play coming out of college. Then, all drafted players are bound to their teams for at LEAST 4 years if the team chooses to sign them. and then the team controls them for another year if they want to. There is a salary cap.

Those three things make it entirely different from this new college model. Not even remotely the same.

The Bad Guy

Anyone who blames the kid for taking a couple millions dollars is fooling themselves. Hopefully the kid is smart and invest it and lives off that interest.

Ewers coming is good publicity in my book, but I doubt he comes here over UT. Although UT just got another highly rated Qb commit….