• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Watch Sonny Dykes press conference at 10 a.m. today

Limp Lizard

Then he mentioned "injury prevention".... My ears perked up.
tatum-tatumtalks.gif

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Dallas was his idea, which he got from his time at TCU. Luckily TCU did not have to put "Fort Worth" on its uniforms.

Even before this, I thought that his being here a year made hiring him a lot easier.
I felt like he took a swipe at Dallas for not being more supportive of SMU football the way Fort Worth has TCU. He was trying to create that in Dallas. Didn't happen, even with a winning program.

Outback Frog

With Sonny introducing his sister Bebe and brother Rick at the press conference this morning, it brought back memories from my childhood back in Big Spring. The Dykes family lived down the street from me, and though Sonny was just a toddler at the time, I was a neighborhood running buddy with his older brother Rick (I was 10 years old at the time). Sonny was actually born in Big Spring, so you have yet another West Texas connection to TCU. He spent much of his youth also in Midland and Lubbock at other coaching stops with his dad Spike.

Never will forget going to a Tech function in Odessa when Spike was the HC, and he actually remembered my name after all those years (we are talking over 20 years since we had last seen each other). He even asked how my mom and dad were doing and called them by their first names. Tech fans loved Spike and I am hoping, we as TCU fans, have the same feeling towards Sonny.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

Years ago, I did an anesthetic on his grandmother. When I went into the waiting room afterwards, Spike was sitting there to get a report on how his mom had done. After that, we talked for a bit about Tech, TCU, and football. I found Spike to be a very friendly, warm guy who was all the things you are saying about Sonny. Good roots.

My Great Uncle, T Jones, was AD at Tech while Spike was the Coach. I was fortunate enough to attend a few games and meet Spike (and some players) when I was a kid, and I remember him being very nice and friendly to us as well. Same vibe that Sonny has. My Great Uncle was a good man and remained close friends with Spike over the years. I'm glad Sonny is our guy.

mcdaddy

With Sonny introducing his sister Bebe and brother Rick at the press conference this morning, it brought back memories from my childhood back in Big Spring. The Dykes family lived down the street from me, and though Sonny was just a toddler at the time, I was a neighborhood running buddy with his older brother Rick (I was 10 years old at the time). Sonny was actually born in Big Spring, so you have yet another West Texas connection to TCU. He spent much of his youth also in Midland and Lubbock at coaching stops with his dad Spike.

Never will forget going to a Tech function in Midland when Spike was the HC and he actually remembered my name after all those years (we are talking over 20 years since we had last seen each other). He even asked how my mom and dad were doing and called them by their first names. Tech fans loved Spike and I am hoping, we as TCU fans, have the same feeling towards Sonny.
Yep, Sonny and I played junior high football together in Midland. He was an athletically talented QB1.

Pharm Frog

I have no positive regard for Spike or the program he ran. He was the coach when I worked at Tech. Did like James Dickey though. In other “relative” news, Rick Dykes and that Reagor-Dykes legal issue was supposed to go to trial this fall. Need to look that up

Strat Frog

Solid press conference. A clear vision. Loved the ‘Defense still wins championships’, which says he wants us to remain as a solid Defensive program, too, in addition to what we know his Offenses already bring. He knew TCU was a great destination given he’d been here and seen it before, such as the commitment from the University and the support from the great FW community. This is getting good. Go Frogs!

SoonerFrogs

I have no positive regard for Spike or the program he ran. He was the coach when I worked at Tech. Did like James Dickey though. In other “relative” news, Rick Dykes and that Reagor-Dykes legal issue was supposed to go to trial this fall. Need to look that up

James Dickey loved his players. Tech had a pretty good center that broke his hand punching the front door of his apartment after someone lost/stole/misplaced his cell phone. Dickey shows up at 1 a.m. to get a handle on things. The player ended up missing a few games due to "an accident at home". Fun times.

Pharm Frog

James Dickey loved his players. Tech had a pretty good center that broke his hand punching the front door of his apartment after someone lost/stole/misplaced his cell phone. Dickey shows up at 1 a.m. to get a handle on things. The player ended up missing a few games due to "an accident at home". Fun times.
James Dickey also made the players attend class…at least the ones in my classes.

Moose Stuff

Does anyone know who the new assistant coaches are? I think he said about 7 have been hired.

sdj
OC - Garrett Riley (SMU)
RB - Ra’Shaad Samples (SMU)
WR - Malcolm Kelly (TCU)
WR - David Gru (SMU)
OL - AJ Ricker (SMU)
DL - Chidera Uzo-Diribe (SMU)
S or CB - Paul Gonzales (TCU)
ST - Mark Tommerdahl (Tech)
S&C - Kaz Kazidi (SMU)
Recruiting Coord - Bryan Carrington (USC)

Still need a DC, someone at LB, and someone at either CB or S. Assuming the DC will coach one of those positions maybe?

Last edited:

westoverhillbilly

I mentioned to Sonny today that I dated his cousin briefly in the mid/late 80s in Houston and remember her mentioning his brother Rick was a grad asst or assistant at Rice on Jerry Berndt's staff at the time. Sonny introduced his sister BeBe to us- she lives in Lubbock, who told us that the whole family really wanted him to take the Tech job but he was insistent that TCU was the place for him.